Apple Makes Major Progress on No-Prick Blood Glucose Tracking for Its Watch

Blaine

This appears to be some time away from being commercially available, but it's nice to hear that progress is being made. I would personally love to have a non-invasive way of tracking glucose levels. I've considered getting a CGM, but I do martial arts and other physical activity which would require me to constantly take it on and off.

Apple Makes Major Progress on No-Prick Blood Glucose Tracking for Its Watch

From the article:

Apple is taking a different approach, using a chip technology known as silicon photonics and a measurement process called optical absorption spectroscopy. The system uses lasers to emit specific wavelengths of light into an area below the skin where there is interstitial fluid — substances that leak out of capillaries — that can be absorbed by glucose. The light is then reflected back to the sensor in a way that indicates the concentration of glucose. An algorithm then determines a person’s blood glucose level.

Apple’s system — more than 12 years in the making — is now considered to be at a proof-of-concept stage, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the project is confidential. The company believes the technology is viable but needs to be shrunk down to a more practical size.

Engineers are working to develop a prototype device about the size of an iPhone that can be strapped to a person’s bicep. That would be a significant reduction from an early version of the system that sat atop a table.