Apple juice instead of orange juice ?

kineticz

DaveFoster said:
kineticz said:
DaveFoster said:
kineticz said:
Some people may be sensitive to the high vitamin C content in orange juice. I was for a while, due to high reliance on adrenal hormones. Vitamin C increases adrenaline but lowers cortisol.
Thank you so much for this. This may help explain my insomnia from drinking OJ before bed.

As an alternative to apple juice and orange juice, there's always grape juice, or even apple-grape, which is a good source of manganese.

The adrenaline spike might be especially troublesome during hypoglycemia. Do you take the OJ with salt?

Many people with adrenal problems have an inverse response so output is greatest at night. In my experience vitamin c can make it worse or better depending on how reliant I am on stress hormones through the day. The reduction in cortisol from vit C can be helpful for bolstering the adrenals but it is the increase in adrenaline that can pose problems.
I do not usually take OJ with salt, although I did last night. I usually mix my milk and OJ into a 2:1 ratio, but without the water, as I use OJ concentrate.

I start work at about 6:00 PM, which gets the adrenaline flowing, and I usually get to bed at around 1:00 AM, where my sleep quality is hit and miss. Occasionally, I wake up at around 5:00 AM with a cortisol spike, go back to sleep, and wake up groggy at around 10:00 AM.

Any tips that you've found for improving sleep quality?

I recently added 5mg oral DHEA before bed to prevent the cortisol from affecting sleep too much. I also take 500mg BCAA to prevent serotonin/melatonin from taking hold.

With summer I also take an anti-histamine before bed. When the liver is sluggish during poor sleep it is a problem for the stress hormones to take over.

Usually if a cortisol spike occurs any sleep thereafter will have negative side effects as it's a sign that your adrenal defenses and responses need a boost and possibly hypothyroidism.

The spike means you're not entering deep sleep and any sleep after the spike will only be induced by low cellular respiration.

Pregnenolone is said to promote stage 3 deep sleep.

Are you very active before work in the day time?

Nicholas

DaveFoster said:
kineticz said:
DaveFoster said:
kineticz said:
Some people may be sensitive to the high vitamin C content in orange juice. I was for a while, due to high reliance on adrenal hormones. Vitamin C increases adrenaline but lowers cortisol.
Thank you so much for this. This may help explain my insomnia from drinking OJ before bed.

As an alternative to apple juice and orange juice, there's always grape juice, or even apple-grape, which is a good source of manganese.

The adrenaline spike might be especially troublesome during hypoglycemia. Do you take the OJ with salt?

Many people with adrenal problems have an inverse response so output is greatest at night. In my experience vitamin c can make it worse or better depending on how reliant I am on stress hormones through the day. The reduction in cortisol from vit C can be helpful for bolstering the adrenals but it is the increase in adrenaline that can pose problems.
I do not usually take OJ with salt, although I did last night. I usually mix my milk and OJ into a 2:1 ratio, but without the water, as I use OJ concentrate.

I start work at about 6:00 PM, which gets the adrenaline flowing, and I usually get to bed at around 1:00 AM, where my sleep quality is hit and miss. Occasionally, I wake up at around 5:00 AM with a cortisol spike, go back to sleep, and wake up groggy at around 10:00 AM.

Any tips that you've found for improving sleep quality?

I'm the same way with OJ. i only drink it in the mornings now (1c max) and i drink apple juice all day. as far as sleep, making sure to eat frequently enough through the day can improve glycogen storage. for the longest time, i thought that sleep quality for me was something that would take a long time to heal and then a few weeks ago i started doing epsom baths and increasing my sodium intake. Ever since this change, i have not been waking up with a cortisol spike early in the mornings and more often than not feel rested. it makes me wonder if i waste sodium and magnesium. the peat "diet" also has the potential for being low in magnesium unless you do a lot of vegetable broths and chocolate. OJ is a good source of magnesium, too.

kineticz

Sodium and magnesium wastage is of prime concern for hypothyroid.

For a while I could not handle even minute doses of magnesium as it would cause fatigue. I rarely consumed sugar. Now I can handle 1gram. Magnesium uncouples and prevents calcium excitotoxicity and stabilises cells in order to maintain ATP. Sodium prevents aldosterone from wasting all the electrolytes.

All the vital minerals decline during catabolism.

tara

Giraffe said:
tara said:
There are several people here drinking lotsof apple juice. I drink both commercial AJ and OJ, prefer the clear AJ, and add baking soda to both. Yu can use cronometer ofr similar ot o get a rough idea of which nutrient differences there are, and consider whether you might benefit from adding anything else in to help with this.
How much baking soda do you add?

To taste, which is usually a bit more than 1 tsp/litre for OJ, and a bit less than a tsp/litre for AJ for me. Depends on brand, too - acidity seems to vary.

kineticz

Baking soda is apparently good for kidney function and I have a family history of kidney failure. It seems to help me feel light on my feet and less sluggish.

kineticz said:
DaveFoster said:
kineticz said:

It's interesting that you say that. For years I lived in the Far East and if you ordered orange juice it would come with added salt unless you specifically asked to not have it.

DaveFoster

kineticz said:
I recently added 5mg oral DHEA before bed to prevent the cortisol from affecting sleep too much. I also take 500mg BCAA to prevent serotonin/melatonin from taking hold.

With summer I also take an anti-histamine before bed. When the liver is sluggish during poor sleep it is a problem for the stress hormones to take over.

Usually if a cortisol spike occurs any sleep thereafter will have negative side effects as it's a sign that your adrenal defenses and responses need a boost and possibly hypothyroidism.

The spike means you're not entering deep sleep and any sleep after the spike will only be induced by low cellular respiration.

Pregnenolone is said to promote stage 3 deep sleep.

Are you very active before work in the day time?
I like that you target specific hormones and try to lower them. I think this is a great approach. As for my day, I weight train at around noon, and then I work until 6:00 PM - 11:00 PM, and I usually get to bed at midnight or later. My work is sort of like low-intensity cardio, as I'm a busser. I'm trying salt, magnesium, grape juice, and milk before bed to try to lower the stress response as Nicholas suggested. I might cut out the grape juice if adrenaline presents a problem.

dabdabdab

so althimine, black garlic and other thiamine family are not recommended before bed cuz they cause adrenaline spike?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals