Apple juice instead of orange juice ?

Theo

I have consumed apple juice long term before.

I really don't seem to do as well on orange juice . first thing in the morning is about the only time I can down orange juice.

Is apple juice a suitable substitute for orange juice ?

Blinkyrocket

I would enthusiastically say yes, I've been a fan of apple juice since I was a child for whatever reason I don't like the tangy-ness of orange juice near as much and it makes me feel weird. Apple juice has more fructose iirc but less nutrients.

OP
T

Theo

I have tried adding baking soda to orange juice. It helps. I have read that adding salt may balance orange juice.

No matter , either way , I think apple juice seems to suit my system better.

There are 2 apple juice available. One clear and one thicker and not transparent. It sounds like the second one should be avoided because it likely had pectin in it.

tara

There are several people here drinking lotsof apple juice. I drink both commercial AJ and OJ, prefer the clear AJ, and add baking soda to both. Yu can use cronometer ofr similar ot o get a rough idea of which nutrient differences there are, and consider whether you might benefit from adding anything else in to help with this.

4peatssake

tara said:
There are several people here drinking lotsof apple juice. I drink both commercial AJ and OJ, prefer the clear AJ, and add baking soda to both. Yu can use cronometer ofr similar ot o get a rough idea of which nutrient differences there are, and consider whether you might benefit from adding anything else in to help with this.
Ditto to this.

If you tolerate the apple juice and you feel great, it's a winner - for you.
Mittir I know drinks apple juice and not OJ.
I drink OJ primarily but like apple juice on occasion. I tolerate both.

There are upsides and downsides to all our food choices. The key is to eat what you tolerate and enjoy.

kineticz

Some people may be sensitive to the high vitamin C content in orange juice. I was for a while, due to high reliance on adrenal hormones. Vitamin C increases adrenaline but lowers cortisol.

Blinkyrocket

kineticz said:
Some people may be sensitive to the high vitamin C content in orange juice. I was for a while, due to high reliance on adrenal hormones. Vitamin C increases adrenaline but lowers cortisol.
And who said natural is always better than a drug? It sounds to me like nutrients all have side effects, just like drugs. The vitamin E I took made me feel horrible, headache, lightheaded and woke up in the night heart racing.

kineticz

Definitely, I know he's not well regarded here but Dr Wilson is the only widely accessible thought leader who states that paradoxical reactions should be watched out for when attempting to heal.

OP
T

Theo

I read other threads from this forum and someone suggested raw honey as a substitute for OJ ?

Raw honey I do well on. Albeit my max seems to be a tbsp a day. My source is from the Gaspe area of Quebec..very low pollution.

Apple juice is locallly made and seems to be a compatable food for me.

Blinkyrocket

Theo said:
I read other threads from this forum and someone suggested raw honey as a substitute for OJ ?

Raw honey I do well on. Albeit my max seems to be a tbsp a day. My source is from the Gaspe area of Quebec..very low pollution.

Even Apple juice has more nutrients than honey, but honeys probably better than sugar unless there's natural estrogens and stuff.

tara

Blinkyrocket said:
Theo said:

Even Apple juice has more nutrients than honey, but honeys probably better than sugar unless there's natural estrogens and stuff.

Yes. And you're likely to need much more than a tablespoon, so you may as well have both honey and AJ.

Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket said:
Theo said:

Or well what I mainly meant to say was if the honey has allergens and stuff.

DaveFoster

kineticz said:
Thank you so much for this. This may help explain my insomnia from drinking OJ before bed.

As an alternative to apple juice and orange juice, there's always grape juice, or even apple-grape, which is a good source of manganese.

mt_dreams

as long as you are getting your potassium & copper from other food/drink, it's your call which type of juice you indulge in. Grape juice might contain some of the estrogen from the seeds, but it's very tasty in a spritz. I live in an apple region, so it's my go to fresh juice. I stock my freezer with oj concentrate & mango concentrate for when I'm in the mood for something different, or looking to boost vit c intake. Watermelon is also a nice cheap pure juice source.

kineticz

DaveFoster said:
kineticz said:
Thank you so much for this. This may help explain my insomnia from drinking OJ before bed.

As an alternative to apple juice and orange juice, there's always grape juice, or even apple-grape, which is a good source of manganese.

The adrenaline spike might be especially troublesome during hypoglycemia. Do you take the OJ with salt?

Many people with adrenal problems have an inverse response so output is greatest at night. In my experience vitamin c can make it worse or better depending on how reliant I am on stress hormones through the day. The reduction in cortisol from vit C can be helpful for bolstering the adrenals but it is the increase in adrenaline that can pose problems.

DaveFoster

kineticz said:
DaveFoster said:
kineticz said:

The adrenaline spike might be especially troublesome during hypoglycemia. Do you take the OJ with salt?

Many people with adrenal problems have an inverse response so output is greatest at night. In my experience vitamin c can make it worse or better depending on how reliant I am on stress hormones through the day. The reduction in cortisol from vit C can be helpful for bolstering the adrenals but it is the increase in adrenaline that can pose problems.
I do not usually take OJ with salt, although I did last night. I usually mix my milk and OJ into a 2:1 ratio, but without the water, as I use OJ concentrate.

I start work at about 6:00 PM, which gets the adrenaline flowing, and I usually get to bed at around 1:00 AM, where my sleep quality is hit and miss. Occasionally, I wake up at around 5:00 AM with a cortisol spike, go back to sleep, and wake up groggy at around 10:00 AM.

Any tips that you've found for improving sleep quality?

Giraffe

tara said:
How much baking soda do you add?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals