Appearance Of Tiny "age Spots" On One Hand

Peata

Someone on another forum was talking about iron spots (aka age spots, liver spots, lipofuscin, etc.) I eat low in iron.

I don't have any age spots, but AFTER I donated blood exactly one month ago, I noticed the tiniest little dot on the back of my right hand. I think it came on in the last couple weeks, I just know that it was after I gave the blood.

Since then I have had another one - again, a tiny brown dot, the size the pressure of an inkpen would make on paper. That one peeled off on its own just last night. I saw that it was developing a sort of transluscent flake on it, and then I woke up this a.m. and it's gone.

However, I've noticed another tiny dot on the back of same hand. And just now I saw another one - slightly larger and slightly darker than the others, and this one is on the back of my hand but at base of ring finger.

These are really tiny and light brown, but still, I notice.

Does anyone have thoughts on why I would start getting melanin on hands after eating Peatish and low iron for over 6 months? Would the iron donation have anything to do with it? Or the fact that the spots are on the right hand? (blood taken from left arm). I'm right-handed, and so maybe it gets more exposure on steering wheel. Just wondering...

Hoping to get this figured out to prevent more spots if I can.

OP
Peata

Peata

From RP's article on Moles, DHEA, which J posted: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1223&p=12823&hilit=+age+spot+#p12823

Age pigment, lipofuscin, is produced in oxygen deprivation, apparently from reduced iron which attacks unsaturated fats.

If anyone read my account of giving blood a month ago, I'm certain it made me temporarily anemic. I don't understand what Ray is saying as far as the quote from his article above. Does it mean lipofuscin is made when there isn't enough hemoglobin to carry oxygen? He mentions reduced iron attacks unsat. fats.

OP
Peata

Peata

A vitamin E deficiency relative to consumption of polyunsaturated fats, and an estrogen excess, accelerate the formation of lipofuscin.

My PUFA intake is low, but I have struggled with estrogen dominance. Vitamin E intake has been low, though I've been supplementing more just the last week.

It still seems strange that the pigment just came on in the last 2 - 3 weeks though.

Bluebell

I don't know Peata, I have also developed some since starting Peating. It doesn't make sense.

OP
Peata

Peata

I forget how long you've been P'eating?

J

j.

Peata said:
My PUFA intake is low, but I have struggled with estrogen dominance. Vitamin E intake has been low, though I've been supplementing more just the last week.

It still seems strange that the pigment just came on in the last 2 - 3 weeks though.

Out of curiosity, what's your brand and dose of vitamin E? I have the impression that high gamma vitamin E pills are better for me.

J

j.

I think one possibility is that the spots aren't formed with ingested PUFA, but from PUFA released from your fat stores. If you are not eating very often, fat is used for energy, and this is when the PUFA can be released to the bloodstream. Regarding iron, it is always there, even if you drink coffee with meats, etc., it just minimizes a fraction of iron absorption.

Gabriel

Can you make a photo Peata? I find it hard to imagine what you describe.

OP
Peata

Peata

j. said:
Peata said:

Out of curiosity, what's your brand and dose of vitamin E? I have the impression that high gamma vitamin E pills are better for me.

It's Windmill brand, from a non-chain pharmacy.

Ingredients: Vitamin E as d-alpha-tocopherol acetate, gelatin, glycerin, purified water.

I take one per day, so 200 IU.

OP
Peata

Peata

j. said:
I think one possibility is that the spots aren't formed with ingested PUFA, but from PUFA released from your fat stores. If you are not eating very often, fat is used for energy, and this is when the PUFA can be released to the bloodstream. Regarding iron, it is always there, even if you drink coffee with meats, etc., it just minimizes a fraction of iron absorption.

That kind of goes along with my hope, that it's a type of release of lipofuscin through the skin, and is temporary.

However, what is "not eating very often" to you? I am under the impression my fat is not being used for energy since I'm not losing any weight, just hanging around the same weight all the time. I'm not overweight, but on the high end of my range. I eat (or drink calorie-rich beverages such as those made with milk, OJ, etc.) probably every 2 - 3 hours.

OP
Peata

Peata

Gabriel said:

I enhanced the sharpness of the pic so you can see the dot better. It's bottom, middle of photo. On the upper right side of the dot is the nuckle of my middle finger.

My skin is not orange, btw, I took the photo under my red light.

Attachments

• dot.jpg
    dot.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 581
J

j.

Peata said:

Ingredients: Vitamin E as d-alpha-tocopherol acetate, gelatin, glycerin, purified water.

I see. According to some, alpha tocopherol alone can deplete gamma tocopherol. I don't know how true is that but here it is:

In 1997, the Life Extension Foundation warned that taking only the alpha tocopherol form of vitamin E could displace critically important gamma tocopherol in the body.

While alpha tocopherol inhibits the production of new free radicals, gamma tocopherol is required to trap and neutralize existing free radicals.

Link

OP
Peata

Peata

j. said:
Peata said:

I see. According to some, alpha tocopherol alone can deplete gamma tocopherol. I don't know how true is that but here it is:

In 1997, the Life Extension Foundation warned that taking only the alpha tocopherol form of vitamin E could displace critically important gamma tocopherol in the body.

While alpha tocopherol inhibits the production of new free radicals, gamma tocopherol is required to trap and neutralize existing free radicals.

Link

OK, thanks, something else to look into.

I only started taking it with any regularity in the last week.

I don't know what kind of E is in Progest-E, but I was taking a lot of Progest-E from August 11 - 29.

jyb

Peata said:
Gabriel said:

I enhanced the sharpness of the pic so you can see the dot better. It's bottom, middle of photo. On the upper right side of the dot is the nuckle of my middle finger.

My skin is not orange, btw, I took the photo under my red light.

That seems tiny. I would assume its a freckle, therefore nothing to do with iron oxidation.

OP
Peata

Peata

I still wonder why I'd develop a few tiny freckles. Why the melanin clumping on my hand all of a sudden.

OP
Peata

Peata

Bluebell said:
I don't know Peata, I have also developed some since starting Peating. It doesn't make sense.

BB, what do your spots look like? Can you post a picture or find one online that's close?

jyb

I have freckles and some off liver spot. There is a clear difference. The photo you took looks like a freckle to me. I don't know the reason why freckles form more over time or for some people, just that its more likely on white skin exposed to the sun. I don't think its an indicator of health status.