Apparently If You Don't Eat Enough Fiber, Microbes Will Eat Your Colon

haidut

Forum Supporter

The article title from Futurity is a bit misleading. I think the study was about restricting insoluble fiber. Eating soluble fiber, which is what most doctors advise as it lower cholesterol, had negative effects as well.
"...They also tried a diet that was rich in prebiotic fiber—purified forms of soluble fiber similar to what some processed foods and supplements currently contain. This diet resulted in a similar erosion of the mucus layer as observed in the lack of fiber."

So, I guess the message really is - eat your carrot salad or bamboo shoots.

I think it's true.

"The right kind of fiber can benefit a variety of bowel problems." - RP

"A high fiber diet also lowers the risk of bowel cancer" - Peat in NFW page 85.

Well, seeing as the patient ate lots of starch and healed lemon-sized tumors, that really throws a monkey wrench in the starch = endotoxin concept. It's not as simple as starch = endotoxin. Peat has said that starch that is not digested quickly or properly, which is a process that involves thyroid thus digestive enzymes and the whole system, is the problem, not simply the starch itself. It's a digestion thing. We also make own own butter from the fibers of fruits and starch, butyrate, or more appropriately, our bacteria do. So we make our own butter in our gut. Fiber and resistant starch are the best ingredients for bacteria to make butyrate in your colon. Bacteria can make butyrate from proteins, mucous, and sloughed cells, but these ingredients lead to the formation of chemicals detrimental to your colon, like ammonia.

Fiber and Prebiotics: Mechanisms and Health Benefits

The cellulose-degrading microbial community of the human gut varies according to the presence or absence of methanogens. - PubMed - NCBI

Physiological Effects of Dietary Fibre

Butyrate production from dietary fibre and protection against large bowel cancer in a rat model.

http://www.horizonpress.com/backlist/ciim/v/v1/03.pdf

Building scientific consensus: the importance of dietary fiber

If anyone read the article of Ivonne's story above, she didn't mentioned her first oncologist who said it was quackery in her article. But Alan Goldhamer talks about her first oncologist the video linked above at 1:00:08, one hour and eight seconds in the video.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

The article title from Futurity is a bit misleading. I think the study was about restricting insoluble fiber. Eating soluble fiber, which is what most doctors advise as it lower cholesterol, had negative effects as well.
"...They also tried a diet that was rich in prebiotic fiber—purified forms of soluble fiber similar to what some processed foods and supplements currently contain. This diet resulted in a similar erosion of the mucus layer as observed in the lack of fiber."

So, I guess the message really is - eat your carrot salad or bamboo shoots.

Thank you for making sense of it for me, Haidut! :)

pboy

i don't think it matters to be honest, how would lack of fiber erode a mucus layer? that doesn't make sense..its pretty obvious anything that has soaking capacity or rough capacity would in fact require more mucus to lubricate it. Anything offensive especially that would provoke histamine, or physical abrasion, will be encased in mucus as a defense. If you think about it, infants are sterile at birth and yes get inoculated apparently but is that just a result of the environment? Human breast milk doesn't incorporate butyric acid like ruminant animals does....and if this was the case then every infant before a year of age would have major GI problems when in fact they have the opposite, and when introducing solid food begin to have potential issues. Fibers are either bad, neutral, or basically medicinal, not really necessary...its sort of like using a laxative but at the same time they will effect your nervous system..anything that throws off the bodies ideal flow of the GI will also effect the whole nervous system...so yes, gas producing fibers or those that are so offensive the body rushes them out are very bad...something like ripe fruit fiber will very likely go pretty much totally unnoticed...but as per benefit? Personally I don't see a difference at all except very slightly size of stool depending, but as far as rate and time of flow it doesn't matter...its more about thyroid and other factors as to elimination, not having anything 'off' so to speak...the bowel is almost like a reflection of the totality of your situation. It seems like a low end point kind of thing but its right up there in terms of being sensitive. I did expiriments in the past with this and honestly noticed no difference other than the fact harsh fibers made transit less pleasant and stool size increased, but time of flow was only effected if the thing was so irritating it rushed out in which case its more like a purgative than a necessary thing. GI flow is difficult in the current environment and can take a long time to master, and in fact incorporates things other than just what you eat into it...kind of a lot more, so people naturally want to find quick and easy solutions but it really ...there isn't any other than taking purgative laxatives which are irritants and probably not clean and don't necessarily leave you feeling totally satisfied

Ewelina

i don't think it matters to be honest, how would lack of fiber erode a mucus layer? that doesn't make sense..its pretty obvious anything that has soaking capacity or rough capacity would in fact require more mucus to lubricate it. Anything offensive especially that would provoke histamine, or physical abrasion, will be encased in mucus as a defense. If you think about it, infants are sterile at birth and yes get inoculated apparently but is that just a result of the environment? Human breast milk doesn't incorporate butyric acid like ruminant animals does....and if this was the case then every infant before a year of age would have major GI problems when in fact they have the opposite, and when introducing solid food begin to have potential issues. Fibers are either bad, neutral, or basically medicinal, not really necessary...its sort of like using a laxative but at the same time they will effect your nervous system..anything that throws off the bodies ideal flow of the GI will also effect the whole nervous system...so yes, gas producing fibers or those that are so offensive the body rushes them out are very bad...something like ripe fruit fiber will very likely go pretty much totally unnoticed...but as per benefit? Personally I don't see a difference at all except very slightly size of stool depending, but as far as rate and time of flow it doesn't matter...its more about thyroid and other factors as to elimination, not having anything 'off' so to speak...the bowel is almost like a reflection of the totality of your situation. It seems like a low end point kind of thing but its right up there in terms of being sensitive. I did expiriments in the past with this and honestly noticed no difference other than the fact harsh fibers made transit less pleasant and stool size increased, but time of flow was only effected if the thing was so irritating it rushed out in which case its more like a purgative than a necessary thing. GI flow is difficult in the current environment and can take a long time to master, and in fact incorporates things other than just what you eat into it...kind of a lot more, so people naturally want to find quick and easy solutions but it really ...there isn't any other than taking purgative laxatives which are irritants and probably not clean and don't necessarily leave you feeling totally satisfied

+1

lvysaur

Noone caught this:
They also tried a diet that was rich in prebiotic fiber—purified forms of soluble fiber similar to what some processed foods and supplements currently contain. This diet resulted in a similar erosion of the mucus layer as observed in the lack of fiber.

Sunny Jack

Noone caught this:

Haidut apparently did almost two years ago. But thanks for resurrecting an interesting thread.

People often assume Peat is against all fibre, and use studies that highlight the cancer-reducing properties of it against him, but in fact he is only against the wrong kind of fibre. The famous carrot salad has numerous benefits.