Aphantasia. Who has it?

valzim

I’m 55 and just discovered that I have Aphantasia. If you closed your eyes and pictured a red apple, can you see actually that red apple in your mind. Like a 2D picture. Can you change it to yellow. I, and about 5% of the population cannot. When I close my eyes, I see black. My wife says she can actually see my face if she pictures it. Like a 2D picture she says. I know what her face looks like, but I cannot actually see it in my mind. Crazy. Read that people who have Aphantasia are more analytical and logical with good abstract reasoning. Maybe another example of the right brain vs left brain thing.

Jam

Hmm. I can picture almost anything but it doesn't actually "appear" when I close my eyes. With closed eyes, the most I can get are shifting colors and shapes, if I concentrate hard enough. But, I can still picture an apple, eyes open or closed, I can actually "see" my parents, wife, or almost anyone I know, but it seems that I "see" them with a different part of the brain that is independent of the eyes. These feel more like "recollections", but I can make them as detailed as I want. It seems that it is the same part of the brain that is responsible for "imagination", sort of like an inner eye that is totally independent of the physical eyes.

TheSir

Just to clarify: the mind's eye is not something you see in the blackness of your eyelids. It's a separate organ of sense. Imagination exists in the same mental 'space' as your thoughts do. Whether you keep your eyes closed or apart should make no difference. Question: can you remember what your loved ones look like? Can you remember what your house looks like?

In my case I can imagine any object I desire and rotate it in 3D space in my mind.

Jam

Just to clarify: the mind's eye is not something you see in the blackness of your eyelids. It's a separate organ of sense. Imagination exists in the same mental 'space' as your thoughts do. Whether you keep your eyes closed or apart should make no difference. Question: can you remember what your loved ones look like? Can you remember what your house looks like?

In my case I can imagine any object I desire and rotate it in 3D space in my mind.
Exactly.

TheSir

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music..."​

Yet music is information!

The ability you're describing is called prophantasia, and the lack of it doesn't mean you have aphantasia. If someone asked me to draw the faces of my parents, I wouldn't be able to because I can't remember what they look like, that's aphantasia.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals