Anything Wrong With A Bit Of Peanut Butter?

RayPeat123

My diet is very Peaty - I eat lots of cottage cheese, greek yogurt, orange juice and milk. Very little PUFA. Would I harm my health by eating some peanut butter every now and then? I don't like any other nut, but I still crave peanut butter for some reason.

Rock_V

Hey man, I'd leave that peanut butter alone myself... But if you're having a tablespoon or two now and again, then it shouldn't cause anything bad to happen, unless you're sensitive to it. You could try that PB2 stuff that a lot of people use, which I think has less fat. If not, then definitely stick with organic peanuts and don't go overboard like a lot of nut butter lovers do.

Tarmander

Anything wrong with a little radiation? Body just heals it right?

All context

OP
R

RayPeat123

Anything wrong with a little radiation? Body just heals it right?

All context

But I mean, every food can be problematic? Cottage cheese and greek yogurt has a bit of lactic acid, too much milk can be too much fluid, amino acids and PUFA in eggs, shellfish can contain toxic metals from the ocean etc.

Tarmander

But I mean, every food can be problematic? Cottage cheese and greek yogurt has a bit of lactic acid, too much milk can be too much fluid, amino acids and PUFA in eggs, shellfish can contain toxic metals from the ocean etc.

Yup, it all can be problematic. You gotta choose for yourself. You can justify anything really if it's just once and awhile.

paymanz

If you really love it then you can't refrain it for ever , I suggest you to substitute something peaty for it, that you also love it's taste...

keith

I have no idea how it would taste, but if you mixed the defatted PB powder with coconut oil to make your own PB, the PUFA might be less of a concern.

I think that cravings are important signals from the body, and there is probably something in the PB that your body wants and isn't getting elsewhere. Perhaps if you look at the nutritional content of PB, and the rest of your diet, you might notice what it is that is missing and can satisfy it with another food that might make your craving go away. If you are doing a lot of low fat dairy and not getting much fat elsewhere, it could be that simple, since PB is pretty high in fat. If
That were the case, adding more full fat dairy or coconut oil might resolve the craving.

However, that being said, my personal opinion is that while PUFA causes stress, so do unfulfilled cravings, so you may have to figure out where that balance lies for you if you are really craving regular PB, and nothing else will satisfy that craving. Enjoying our favorite foods can be a big stress relief, and life is too short to give up what you really enjoy, so if PB is one of your favorites, and you want to go for it now and again, I say enjoy. Perfect isn't possible, so don't let it get in the way of what is good.

OP
R

RayPeat123

I just had some, and it wasn't really as good as I remembered. I think some honey on my cottage cheese can be a good replacement.

daphne134

So I started eating peanuts at night based on the theories of someone in the Peat world who I won't name, who generally has a lot of good stuff to say. My digestion got terrible. Since I was also having insomnia due to working out a good thyroid and supplement schedule - I didn't immediately connect the dots on the peanuts being the digestion issue. Without going into gruesome detail, I'm sure it's that. So I thought I'd learn from the mal-digestion experience by looking into the composition of peanuts, specifically the fiber, to see if I could deduce a molecular culprit. That led me to lectins, which I'd never really looked into before. Turns out lectins are sticky proteins that stick to carbohydrates, and stick to the gut wall. The good news (according to my research so far) is they can be greatly reduced with cooking (boiling or pressure cooking), which lets a lot of yummy foods off the hook. But, not peanuts. (By the way there are also different types of lectins.) I recall that D'Adamo the blood type guy wrote about lectins, but I ignored him because I'm blood type A and didn't want to be condemned to a life of soy. Anyway, that's my peanut story. It was a delicious experiment. It makes sense that their abundant nutrition could cause cravings while their anti-nutrients (specifically lectins I think) can cause problems in a non-optimal gut or maybe there is a physiological component.

Last edited:

makaronai

So I started eating peanuts at night based on the theories of someone in the Peat world who I won't name, who generally has a lot of good stuff to say. My digestion got terrible. Since I was also having insomnia due to working out a good thyroid and supplement schedule - I didn't immediately connect the dots on the peanuts being the digestion issue. Without going into gruesome detail, I'm sure it's that. So I thought I'd learn from the mal-digestion experience by looking into the composition of peanuts, specifically the fiber, to see if I could deduce a molecular culprit. That led me to lectins, which I'd never really looked into before. Turns out lectins are sticky proteins that stick to carbohydrates, and stick to the gut wall. The good news (according to my research so far) is they can be greatly reduced with cooking (boiling or pressure cooking), which lets a lot of yummy foods off the hook. But, not peanuts. (By the way there are also different types of lectins.) I recall that D'Adamo the blood type guy wrote about lectins, but I ignored him because I'm blood type A and didn't want to be condemned to a life of soy. Anyway, that's my peanut story. It was a delicious experiment. It makes sense that their abundant nutrition could cause cravings while their anti-nutrients (specifically lectins I think) can cause problems in a non-optimal gut or maybe there is a physiological component.
Have you tried cooked peanuts? You can cook them in a pressure cooker. Adding some soy sauce and agave syrup in there brings them to another level.

conrad0602

If you're not eating a lot of it I wouldn't stress about it. Unless the peanuts are particularly inflammatory for you. Id be tempted to stretch for macadamia butter as it has the least negatives and the extra cost of it should help keep binging on it out of the question!

If you are wanting to improve your health by depleting your body of stored PUFA’s, by keeping your intake under 4 grams of it a day, as RO suggests, then you already went over that goal eating just 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. My suggestion is to make your own like I do with defatted peanut powder and liquid coconut oil.

Attachments

• 19F77E3B-5AC3-4691-93D8-FA5DE1575C35.jpeg
    19F77E3B-5AC3-4691-93D8-FA5DE1575C35.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 52

daphne134

Have you tried cooked peanuts? You can cook them in a pressure cooker. Adding some soy sauce and agave syrup in there brings them to another level.
Ohh that's interesting ... boiled peanuts did used to be a thing at ballgames etc. didn't they.

Stilgar

If you are wanting to improve your health by depleting your body of stored PUFA’s, by keeping your intake under 4 grams of it a day, as RO suggests, then you already went over that goal eating just 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. My suggestion is to make your own like I do with defatted peanut powder and liquid coconut oil.

I do this too rinse and it's delicious when I'm craving peanut butter

I do this too rinse and it's delicious when I'm craving peanut butter
It is so guilt free too! I like to toss in some chopped macadamia nuts for crunch. I made it yesterday and again today. We go through it so fast! I love mine with raspberry jelly, what do you do with yours? It is good on bites of banana too.

“Health officials are investigating a multi-state salmonella outbreak that has been linked to certain Jif peanut butter products made at the J.M. Smucker Company facility in Lexington, Kentucky. In the meantime, the company has voluntarily recalled a number of varieties believed to be involved.

Jif brand peanut butter that has lot code numbers 1274425 through 2140425 and the first seven digits end with 425 should not be consumed. For a full list of the recalled items, visit the FDA's website.

The FDA also recommends washing and sanitizing surfaces that may have come into contact with the peanut butter. “

Stilgar

It is so guilt free too! I like to toss in some chopped macadamia nuts for crunch. I made it yesterday and again today. We go through it so fast! I love mine with raspberry jelly, what do you do with yours? It is good on bites of banana too.

Mmm, I make it just occasionally (because I will eat it so fast!) but often put it on rice crackers or with rice, so it's more savoury or on banana too!

Mmm, I make it just occasionally (because I will eat it so fast!) but often put it on rice crackers or with rice, so it's more savoury or on banana too!
I made it more of a spurge too until I looked up defatted peanut powder’s nutrition, past what the container says, last night and it looks worth eating more of it. I ate it as a meal by the spoonful yesterday with spoonfuls of organic marmalade last night. I slept really good too! I certainly would not do that if the peanut butter wasn’t made from coconut oil.

Attachments

• 138A5BF1-85FB-496C-8A88-5E05540C9B57.jpeg
    138A5BF1-85FB-496C-8A88-5E05540C9B57.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 34

Lollipop2

@Rinse & rePeat would this work with regular refined coconut oil that I melted slowly with barely any heat until it was liquid? I have a whole jar and none of the liquid coconut oil.