Anyone's Hair Went From Curly To Straight After Fixing Thyroid?

Deadpool

Hi there.

When I was a child I always had very thick, straight hair. I got complimentet on it a lot and loved the easiness of styling it but at the age of about 13, I guess when puberty started hitting, my hair slowly became more and more curly and now at the age of 20 it's completely curly. I don't dislike the curliness per se but I'd like to have my straight hair back because it looked and behaved so much healthier.

I have actually some accounts on this forum of people who said their hair went straight after fixing their thyorid. I suspect that my hair became curly when my thyroid started getting out of whack at about 13 which was when a lot of health issues started slowly manifesting themselves.

Anybody got experience with that?

lvysaur

Yeah, straighter hair and slower growing body hair is a good sign.

Lenorez

Hi there.

When I was a child I always had very thick, straight hair. I got complimentet on it a lot and loved the easiness of styling it but at the age of about 13, I guess when puberty started hitting, my hair slowly became more and more curly and now at the age of 20 it's completely curly. I don't dislike the curliness per se but I'd like to have my straight hair back because it looked and behaved so much healthier.

I have actually some accounts on this forum of people who said their hair went straight after fixing their thyorid. I suspect that my hair became curly when my thyroid started getting out of whack at about 13 which was when a lot of health issues started slowly manifesting themselves.

No I haven't but getting it check wouldn't hurt if you feel it might be this.

TeslaFan

What makes you think that curly hair is a sign of a problem?

For example, I have a family member who had curly hair until she started taking birth control pills in her late twenties and the hair then fully flattened. I strongly doubt that birth control fixed her thyroid.

Kelj

What makes you think that curly hair is a sign of a problem?

For example, I have a family member who had curly hair until she started taking birth control pills in her late twenties and the hair then fully flattened. I strongly doubt that birth control fixed her thyroid.
I have wondered about changes in the hair follicle, too. My hair went from straight to curly after I had my first child. Since I've changed my diet to an abundance of carb calories, I've noticed it tending to be straighter. A friend of mine had her hair go from straight to very tight curls when it grew back after chemotherapy. Perhaps, change is an indicator of a change in health status whether it goes from straight to curly or curly to straight?

LUH 3417

I highly doubt it’s as simple as straight hair is good curly hair is bad

Mad

I used to have much curlier hair before my thyroid issues. Now 2 years into fixing thyroid, yes my hair is much straighter but the texture is less soft and smooth, less shiny. So I see my straighter hair as a bad thing and want my shiny curls back (hair thinning has also been an issue, I used to have crazy thick hair).

I'm hoping that the changes I've seen in my hair are the effects of years of untreated poor thyroid function and that the more I improve health, with time my hair will return to its thicker, curlier, and shinier old self. Just over the past several months is when I've seen improvements to my health and I also don't notice the extreme hair thinning anymore, so I'm hoping the texture changes are coming soon.

Lolinaa

I used to have much curlier hair before my thyroid issues. Now 2 years into fixing thyroid, yes my hair is much straighter but the texture is less soft and smooth, less shiny. So I see my straighter hair as a bad thing and want my shiny curls back (hair thinning has also been an issue, I used to have crazy thick hair).

I'm hoping that the changes I've seen in my hair are the effects of years of untreated poor thyroid function and that the more I improve health, with time my hair will return to its thicker, curlier, and shinier old self. Just over the past several months is when I've seen improvements to my health and I also don't notice the extreme hair thinning anymore, so I'm hoping the texture changes are coming soon.

Do you take t3 or a thyroid combo? How did you improve your health? Just food was enough or do you supplement too.

For me what has worked is eating more and keeping a good sugar balance.

Mad

Do you take t3 or a thyroid combo? How did you improve your health? Just food was enough or do you supplement too.

For me what has worked is eating more and keeping a good sugar balance.

The first several months I just dove deep into improving diet, yes eating more calories and more sugar.
Then I added supplement. I'm currently taking a combo of t3 and t4.
A huge part of improving my health has been improving my environment, meaning I have worked hard on my marriage, made a priority of getting together with friends and family, changing my work schedule a bit which allowed me a little more time at home and sleep time, and I'm always working to overcome day to day stress but am not prefect at that yet.

Lolinaa

The first several months I just dove deep into improving diet, yes eating more calories and more sugar.
Then I added supplement. I'm currently taking a combo of t3 and t4.
A huge part of improving my health has been improving my environment, meaning I have worked hard on my marriage, made a priority of getting together with friends and family, changing my work schedule a bit which allowed me a little more time at home and sleep time, and I'm always working to overcome day to day stress but am not prefect at that yet.

Thank you for sharing.

I strive to do almost the same as you. The combo t3/t4 tend to raise my metabolism too fast which means I lose tons of weight and I really don’t need it, have bacne and more sensitive teeth. So I stopped, I just take a bit of Cynomel when I feel like it.

I am happy I four a job near my place so no transport stress and like you I try to get out more and meet new people.

I also try to see the positive side of everything, even while I was unemployed.

Kartoffel

why is slower growing body hair a good thing? what does slower growing body hair indicate healthwise?

I am not sure whether speed of growth is any indicator, but body hair is a sign of hypothyroidism and excess estrogen and prolactin. There are many studies that show body hair correlates very strongly with estrogen levels, and in children hypothyroidism can cause hirsutism, which can be completely reversed by desiccated thyroid.

BigChad

I am not sure whether speed of growth is any indicator, but body hair is a sign of hypothyroidism and excess estrogen and prolactin. There are many studies that show body hair correlates very strongly with estrogen levels, and in children hypothyroidism can cause hirsutism, which can be completely reversed by desiccated thyroid.

thats interesting and makes sense based on my experience... I had a thick head of hair and minimal body hair all my life but since getting hypothyroid symptoms I noticed more body hair.

I developed anemia and minor hypothyroidism over the last 1.5 years due to supplementing zma and using large amounts of vitamin c, while also eating a high zinc, moderate iron low copper diet.
from february to april of this year I started using 3mg iodine once a week and my weight jumped from 176 to 193. Im still at 193 to 195. Do you think iodine restriction alone will be enough for me to fix this and return to my prior weight. i replaced zma with just 200mg magnesium aspartate. I am using the fat soluble vitamins and a small amount of vitamin c just 3x a week. around 250mg.

Kartoffel

thats interesting and makes sense based on my experience... I had a thick head of hair and minimal body hair all my life but since getting hypothyroid symptoms I noticed more body hair.

I developed anemia and minor hypothyroidism over the last 1.5 years due to supplementing zma and using large amounts of vitamin c, while also eating a high zinc, moderate iron low copper diet.
from february to april of this year I started using 3mg iodine once a week and my weight jumped from 176 to 193. Im still at 193 to 195. Do you think iodine restriction alone will be enough for me to fix this and return to my prior weight. i replaced zma with just 200mg magnesium aspartate. I am using the fat soluble vitamins and a small amount of vitamin c just 3x a week. around 250mg.

I don't think taking iodine is reasonable since it is virtually impossible to be deficient in a modernized country. Neither is taking vitamin C since you can get more than enough from natural foods and according to Ray vitamin C supplements are much more likely to be harmful than anything else. So yes, I think you should drop the iodine. I personally would also drop all other oral supplements. Finding a diet/lifestyle that makes you warm and energetic is the key to basically everything.

BigChad

I don't think taking iodine is reasonable since it is virtually impossible to be deficient in a modernized country. Neither is taking vitamin C since you can get more than enough from natural foods and according to Ray vitamin C supplements are much more likely to be harmful than anything else. So yes, I think you should drop the iodine. I personally would also drop all other oral supplements. Finding a diet/lifestyle that makes you warm and energetic is the key to basically everything.

I did drop the large iodine doses since mid april. After that, I continued taking iodine, at 225mcg, 4x a week, which continued the hai rloss symptoms and other issues. I think its because I already took such an excess of iodine, that 225mcg, 4x a week, normally may be a maintenance dose, but in this case it was helping to maintain the excess iodine. From april to june I continued 225mcg iodine 2-4x a week. Just 3 weeks or so ago I cut out iodine and zma among other things. I'm considering taking a multi with 150mcg iodine twice a week (every 3 or 4 days). also around 3 weeks ago is when I started magnesium (as a replacement for zma), and the fat soluble vitamins besides A/D which i was already using. I still continued a multivitamin with 10mg b1, b6, 5mg b2, 15mg b3, and etc, which I was not aware until last week or so that vitamins like b1 and b6 can actually deplete things like iron, manganese, calcium. so just last week i finally cut that multivitamin out to just 2x a week, so i should be able to avoid the excess b1/b6 everyday. the vitamin c I have is the Quali c from scotland, I read some favorable views on it on here. Its 1000mg capsules but I would dump the powder out to make it around 250 to 300mg. that was mostly since I read that vitamin e can deplete it.
Actually from 2011 or 2012 all the way through this past spring I was taking 1500mg vitamin C every single day from grocery store brands usually... what kind of effects would that have had on me, taking that high a dose for that long? I was 17 or so when I started, and I remember I was still growing up to that point, yet from 17 through 24 I have not grown at all. I read that vitamin c supplementation can mess with your spinal cord, bone growth, and ceruloplasmin?

lvysaur

why is slower growing body hair a good thing? what does slower growing body hair indicate healthwise?
It's simply a very stable indicator I've noticed in myself.

Very slow growing, very fine textured body hair is what you want ideally. This will tend to correlate with fast growing head hair of a fine texture as well.

JDreamer

Hi there.

I had very straight thick hair up until my mid-teens. Then it changed to waxy and kinda whispy. Been that way ever since (not to mention all the thinning/recession).

JDreamer

My body hair has gotten progressively worse as time has worn on. Quite frankly it's a major source of insecurity and I've spent too much of my life man-scaping to keep it under control. I once did the math on the amount of time I've dedicated to it and it made me sick to my stomach.

I miss being the kind of person who could just shower up real quick and go. Nowadays, between the hair loss and the manscaping I have to plan my days around it. It makes me really depressed sometimes.

BigChad

My body hair has gotten progressively worse as time has worn on. Quite frankly it's a major source of insecurity and I've spent too much of my life man-scaping to keep it under control. I once did the math on the amount of time I've dedicated to it and it made me sick to my stomach.

I miss being the kind of person who could just shower up real quick and go. Nowadays, between the hair loss and the manscaping I have to plan my days around it. It makes me really depressed sometimes.

your thyroid got messed up? hypothyroidism causes the body hair apparently? how is your head hair