Anyone verifiably raise vit D levels transdermally?

gaze

Outside of this forum, very few people online talk about using vitamin D by applying it on the skin, and just going through some posts on here it seems some people tried and failed at it.

I was wondering if anyone can confirm by blood test they raised their levels using transdermal application only, and if so what ratio of absorption did you use? 10% like ray says or more/less?

Gustav3Y

Negative results without question in my case. After 6months 1000IU on my face almost daily, blood tests showed less D3 than before.
This is my only experience with it and measured.

conrad0602

I think you need to use 10x the oral dose to get equivalent results. So for 1000iu daily you would need to apply 10000iu transdermally.

Gustav3Y

I do not want to go into details, I wasn't applying it for the sake of studies or to get higher D3, I was apply the oil for my skin actually and mentioned my experience as it was, not to disprove that D3 can be absorbed by skin.

OP
G

gaze

in his most recent Q&A, danny roddy said he uses 30k IU topically. he hasn't checked his blood levels though, but claims to feel worse when he forgets to apply it. ideally I would prefer topical, but I also don't want to experiment with it for 3-4 months only to have my levels drop or not go up

D

des yeux

I think in MCT oil the absorption was 5% so you would need 20x the dose or more to get the required 5000 ius daily.

peter88

I'm pretty sure it was only 2 drops of Calcrol that I was taking (2,000IU). I was wearing a tank top and shorts all summer and
I was getting enough sun to get a decent tan. It's hard to gauge exactly how much sun exposure I was getting each day, but it was definitely enough to maintain a tan. My vitamin D levels while on 2,000 IU of Calcirol that summer were 118 (51-75). I had the same test during the fall a few years prior after taking 2,000 IU of an oral vitamin D supplement all summer and I was surprised that my vitamin D levels were still low. This is why I suspect Calcirol is more effective per IU.
Calcirol and naval application may give you the best results

mostlylurking

Outside of this forum, very few people online talk about using vitamin D by applying it on the skin, and just going through some posts on here it seems some people tried and failed at it.

I was wondering if anyone can confirm by blood test they raised their levels using transdermal application only, and if so what ratio of absorption did you use? 10% like ray says or more/less?
Transdermal didn't work for me. 10,000iu sublingual works great. Peat said only 10% of D is absorbed transdermally.