Anyone Try Shilajit

BibleBeliever

I looked into it, but the price scared me. I also read there are a lot of contaminated ones for sale and counterfeits I think it was?
From what I gathered one could get all the same minerals from a mineral salt (i.e in this case a black salt; with warnings of heavy metal contaminants as would be here I assume)
However it does have 1 compound that was interesting; fulvic acid. From what I remember many attributed benefits of Shilajit to that; I tried looking for food sources of it and I think blackstrap molasses came up as the only source, but I couldn't find quantities.
So due to being cheap and using what was available I tried pink salt with blackstrap molasses. Didn't notice anything, but probably a weak imitation.

X3CyO

Yeah. A while back. Tastes like dirt and no performance difference personally.

I'd only trust purblack if you were gonna try it out.

Dan W

Someone I know had a weird experience with it, with increased energy levels but eventual "flashes" occurring in their vision that went away when discontinuing it. So just something to watch out for for anyone trying it. He'd done his homework and gotten it from a well-reviewed company that provided an (independent?) mineral analysis.

Pointless

I've tried it. It had a tonifying or energizing effect. But I stopped because of the risk of heavy metals.

noordinary

Here is my experience with it:
When I was vegan (about 4-5 years ago) I got Shilajit powder from DavidAvocadoWolf website, added it to my smoothies for 2-3 months, never noticed anything. But I was adding a ton a sh@t to my smoothie like chia seeds, kale etc, so who knows..., still grateful those smoothies did not kill me lol
Later on, on WestonPrice/LowSugar/Ketogenic (like vegan was not enough, I'm not very smart obviously) my friend from Russia send me some very expensive Shilanjit that looked like a resin in a small glass jar,
that was from somewhat reputable collector/producer with lab analysis etc. So I did that a drop a day, never noticed anything, no energy increase, nothing, but the reason may be that low carbs thing sucked my energy away.

You know what I do with $100 these days (instead of buying overpriced "superfoods"): I go to Costco and by a 5 lb box of Cold water Lobster tales, cut them open, sprinkle them with melted butter and salt and gill them. And actually enjoy them for several dinners at home. And feel great. And that, my friend, I call A hundred bucks well spent.

Anyways, I still have leftovers of both the powder and the resin, I did not go even through a half of that stuff.
Anytime you in Seattle area you are welcome to pick it up for free, because I not looking to doing Shilajit anymore like never.

PS: actually got up and found the resin stuff in a grass jar to give a taste to my dog, he did show interest in the novelty smell, but refused to eat it. Maybe its because he is well fed lol

i tried it, got it from an Ayurvedic doctor, who said it was one of the best herbs because it brought the body into "alignment", like if a hormone was too low, it would go up, or if a hormone was too high, it would go down. i honestly don't remember anymore of what the specifics were, but i remember taking it and basically got worse, but maybe in some situations it works, have no clue

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

You guys rock. I am starting to think most of the Amazon 5 star reviews are paid shills.
@noordinary thank you but after hearing the poor reviews and the opinion from your dog I may pass on the Shilajit. But those lobster tails sound very enticing :)

Last edited:

Buttercup

I never noticed any effects from it.

There are herbs that actually have effects (pine pollen, cistanche, etc). God knows what shilajit does. Maybe it is just snake oil.

Pompadour

Shilajit helps bones to restore faster after broking. In Russia it is often used for this. My mom took it when she broke hand and we gave it to our cat , when it have broken leg. But of course in my experience there was no "control group" , so i can't say for sure if it made healing faster. :)

Xisca

You guys rock. I am starting to think most of the Amazon 5 star reviews are paid shills.
@noordinary thank you but after hearing the poor reviews and the opinion from your dog I may pass on the Shilajit. But those lobster tails sound very enticing :)
Testing lobster with the dog and testing only would be dog maltreatance! :))

It's all about who is on what case, but I would finish little by little the shilajit.... gives some minerals anyway....

jyb

Shilajit helps bones to restore faster after broking. In Russia it is often used for this. My mom took it when she broke hand and we gave it to our cat , when it have broken leg. But of course in my experience there was no "control group" , so i can't say for sure if it made healing faster. :)

Are there some sources about this?

Experienced

This form is supposed to be purified, so no heavy metals, etc. : Shilajit: A Look At This Amazing Ayurvedic Supplement
Click on the product links and there are reviews that seem positive. I know Life Extension complexes PrimaVie with their CoQ10.
Powdered Shilajit/Mumijo (or tabletted / encapsulated) is best avoided. Not only is it impossible to tell whether it's genuine or fake - but the structure and behaviour of Mumijo (it is exceptionally sticky and unstable at temperatures over 20° C) make powdering etc. impossible unless destructive processing and additives have been used. If and how much genuine Shilajit/Mumijo is present in the result is the question.

And nootropics depot capsulates their product how come?

Dave Clark

Do you use it yourself?
I have used the LEF CoQ10 product, but not the stand-alone shilajit supplement. If I try it again, I would probably use this PrimaVie that is supposed to be purified, since shilajit can be found to have metals, etc. that are undesirable. I had no negative issues when using the CoQ10/PrimaVie product. I think is may be something worth investigating, but not a high priority item, at least for me right now.

Experienced

I have used the LEF CoQ10 product, but not the stand-alone shilajit supplement. If I try it again, I would probably use this PrimaVie that is supposed to be purified, since shilajit can be found to have metals, etc. that are undesirable. I had no negative issues when using the CoQ10/PrimaVie product. I think is may be something worth investigating, but not a high priority item, at least for me right now.
Dude nootropicsdepot is so annoying with purchasing stuff. You can't use paypal only Credit Cards. I'd better buy from Oriveda if I'm really that much excited.