Anyone Try Shilajit

LadyRae

loess

I've been taking shilajit for about a week (Mitolife Panacea tablets). I do three tablets in the morning and two or three in the afternoon, melting the resin down and dissolving it into coffee with a little milk, salt and sugar. Without going into details, I've been through hell and back over the past year physiologically and psychologically, and this is the first time in over a decade that I've consistently been able to make it through from morning to evening without inevitably crashing into massive holes of fatigue. I'm sleeping better, brain fog is clearing up, I'm feeling like I'm actually producing dopamine again, and my autonomic nervous system seems to be slowly but surely coming online again.

I do not think that it's *just* the shilajit, because I've also recently increased my dose of Thiamax from 50mg per day to 200mg per day, and have finally found the right form and dose of thyroid that works for me (Tyromax; 7 drops or one grain spaced throughout the day), and those two substances have clearly been shown to have fundamental implications for the production of energy at the cellular level.

That being said, I'm absolutely sold on this stuff. Perhaps some folks might not experience or perceive much of a therapeutic effect with it, but I definitely don't think that it's snake oil. I'd like to figure out where he's getting his shilajit from, so I could make an attempt to buy a larger quantity directly from the source.

Last edited:

Dr. B

I've been taking shilajit for about a week (Mitolife Panacea tablets). I do three tablets in the morning and two or three in the afternoon, melting the resin down and dissolving it into coffee with a little milk, salt and sugar. Without going into details, I've been through hell and back over the past year physiologically and psychologically, and this is the first time in over a decade that I've consistently been able to make it through from morning to evening without inevitably crashing into massive holes of fatigue. I'm sleeping better, brain fog is clearing up, I'm feeling like I'm actually producing dopamine again, and my autonomic nervous system seems to be slowly but surely coming online again.

I do not think that it's *just* the shilajit, because I've also recently increased my dose of Thiamax from 50mg per day to 200mg per day, and have finally found the right form and dose of thyroid that works for me (Tyromax; 7 drops or one grain spaced throughout the day), and those two substances have clearly been shown to have fundamental implications for the production of energy at the cellular level.

That being said, I'm absolutely sold on this stuff. Perhaps some folks might not experience or perceive much of a therapeutic effect with it, but I definitely don't think that it's snake oil. I'd like to figure out where he's getting his shilajit from, so I could make an attempt to buy a larger quantity directly from the source.
asked Ray a bit about it he said something like the problem with fulvic acid is any metals in it get released or unbound when it goes in the stomach...
i think he meant its a risk for heavy metals basically... whatevers in the shilajit will be absorbed
maybe because its a soil, its not as safe for nutrients as something like pink salt, or coconut water, or animal meats, or milk, orange juice etc which go through a filtering process of sorts
isnt shilajit a mountain moss of some kind
you basically could be getting some risky heavy metals in it i guess?
i was thinking of using it for trace minerals, but pink salt may be the safest way to get those, besides the milk, liver OJ etc?

Jabuger

I don’t think heavy metals in shilajit is something to be concerned about

“Mumie (shilajit) was given to rats at doses of 200 mg/kg and 1000 mg/kg for 90 days and produced no adverse effects on heart, liver, kidneys, blood cells, or nervous and endocrine systems. Furthermore, mumie (shilajit) did not elicit any embryotoxic or teratogenic effects in pregnant rats (Anisimov and Shakirzyanova, 1982) or mice (Al-Hamaidi et al., 2003). Ghosal (2006) reported that the LD50 of fulvic acids isolated from shilajit in rats was 1268 mg/kg when given orally, indicating a low order of toxicity.”

They quote several more animal and human studies with fairly decent doses that report no signs of toxicity and considering the MASSIVE dose given to these rats it doesn’t seem to be a concern.

It also seems to increase ATP across the board and decrease cholesterol which I presume is from increased steroid synthesis as we also see an increase in testosterone for males.

“The increase in energy production was confirmed based on increases in ATP, ATP/ADP ratio, coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), total adenine nucleotides, adenylate energy charge, and uric acid levels in whole blood”

“administered 2000 mg of processed shilajit or placebo per day for 45 days….
Significant decreases in serum cholesterol, LDL, VLDL, and triglycerides were observed in response to shilajit relative to the placebo group. Improved antioxidant status was noted in the form of increases in superoxide dismutase, vitamin C and vitamin E. HDL also increased in response to shilajit.“

“Thirty-five infertile (oligospermic) male subjects were enrolled in the study and given 100 mg processed shilajit (PrimaVie®) in capsule form twice a day for 90 days…
significant increases in normal (18.9%) and total (61.4%) sperm count and sperm motility (12.4–17.4%). A significant decrease in semen malondialdehyde levels indicated that shilajit exhibited antioxidant activity. Furthermore, shilajit treatment resulted in significant increases in serum testosterone (23.5%) and FSH (9.4%) levels, results which supported the increase in sperm count.“

“In an early study by Visser (1987), fulvic acids were shown to stimulate respiration in rat liver mitochondria and also increased oxidative phosphorylation when present in concentrations between 40 and 360 mg/L. These results are consistent with the above animal studies and provide mechanistic information regarding the increased energy and higher ATP levels.”

I could continue to quote the many studies in this paper but it seems fairly clear to me that it increases energy production.

I’ve noticed also that it seems to induce a kind of work ethic like state in which I am able to sit and read or get work done like nothing else, like my mind is fully engrossed in whatever activity without any break in concentration. Here is some quotes on its effects on neurotransmitters.

“differentially affected cholinergic but not GABAergic or glutaminergic markers in rat brain…
The data suggested that shilajit preferentially affected cortical and basal forebrain cholinergic signal transduction cascade. An increase in the cholinergic signal transduction cascade could explain at least in part anecdotal reports of cognition and memory enhancing effects of shilajit.”

“A study in mice has provided information on the ability of shilajit to exhibit glycine- and GABA-mimetic actions on the brainstem substantia gelatinosa neurons of the trigeminal subnucleus caudalis (Yin et al., 2011). Mouse brainstem slices were incubated with shilajit in the presence of various receptor antagonists and channel blockers. Shilajit induced inward currents in a concentration-dependent manner.”

Interesting ***t. Just started reintroducing it.

Dr. B

I don’t think heavy metals in shilajit is something to be concerned about

“Mumie (shilajit) was given to rats at doses of 200 mg/kg and 1000 mg/kg for 90 days and produced no adverse effects on heart, liver, kidneys, blood cells, or nervous and endocrine systems. Furthermore, mumie (shilajit) did not elicit any embryotoxic or teratogenic effects in pregnant rats (Anisimov and Shakirzyanova, 1982) or mice (Al-Hamaidi et al., 2003). Ghosal (2006) reported that the LD50 of fulvic acids isolated from shilajit in rats was 1268 mg/kg when given orally, indicating a low order of toxicity.”

They quote several more animal and human studies with fairly decent doses that report no signs of toxicity and considering the MASSIVE dose given to these rats it doesn’t seem to be a concern.

It also seems to increase ATP across the board and decrease cholesterol which I presume is from increased steroid synthesis as we also see an increase in testosterone for males.

“The increase in energy production was confirmed based on increases in ATP, ATP/ADP ratio, coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), total adenine nucleotides, adenylate energy charge, and uric acid levels in whole blood”

“administered 2000 mg of processed shilajit or placebo per day for 45 days….
Significant decreases in serum cholesterol, LDL, VLDL, and triglycerides were observed in response to shilajit relative to the placebo group. Improved antioxidant status was noted in the form of increases in superoxide dismutase, vitamin C and vitamin E. HDL also increased in response to shilajit.“

“Thirty-five infertile (oligospermic) male subjects were enrolled in the study and given 100 mg processed shilajit (PrimaVie®) in capsule form twice a day for 90 days…
significant increases in normal (18.9%) and total (61.4%) sperm count and sperm motility (12.4–17.4%). A significant decrease in semen malondialdehyde levels indicated that shilajit exhibited antioxidant activity. Furthermore, shilajit treatment resulted in significant increases in serum testosterone (23.5%) and FSH (9.4%) levels, results which supported the increase in sperm count.“

“In an early study by Visser (1987), fulvic acids were shown to stimulate respiration in rat liver mitochondria and also increased oxidative phosphorylation when present in concentrations between 40 and 360 mg/L. These results are consistent with the above animal studies and provide mechanistic information regarding the increased energy and higher ATP levels.”

I could continue to quote the many studies in this paper but it seems fairly clear to me that it increases energy production.

I’ve noticed also that it seems to induce a kind of work ethic like state in which I am able to sit and read or get work done like nothing else, like my mind is fully engrossed in whatever activity without any break in concentration. Here is some quotes on its effects on neurotransmitters.

“differentially affected cholinergic but not GABAergic or glutaminergic markers in rat brain…
The data suggested that shilajit preferentially affected cortical and basal forebrain cholinergic signal transduction cascade. An increase in the cholinergic signal transduction cascade could explain at least in part anecdotal reports of cognition and memory enhancing effects of shilajit.”

“A study in mice has provided information on the ability of shilajit to exhibit glycine- and GABA-mimetic actions on the brainstem substantia gelatinosa neurons of the trigeminal subnucleus caudalis (Yin et al., 2011). Mouse brainstem slices were incubated with shilajit in the presence of various receptor antagonists and channel blockers. Shilajit induced inward currents in a concentration-dependent manner.”

Interesting ***t. Just started reintroducing it.

Lowering cholesterol can also be a negative with some things correct? Does policosanol lower cholesterol the same way as shilajit, what about aspirin

Jabuger

Lowering cholesterol can also be a negative with some things correct? Does policosanol lower cholesterol the same way as shilajit, what about aspirin
Yea I said I assume it’s from increased steroid production given there was an increase in steroid production (testosterone). I literally said this straight after. Yes lowering cholesterol can also be bad in some cases I believe Danny Roddy has gone over this multiple times.

Wolf

I took one capsule of Shilajit this morning with my papaya, beef liver, and scrambled egg. I had a TON of energy for my 6 mile walk! More than average, for sure.

Mine is Primavie, 250mg capsules...
+1 to PrimaVie shilajit. The nootropics Depot stuff works. I definitely notice better effects shaking it up in my water over taking the powder on it’s own.

Jabuger

"A potent detoxifier for the brain, Shilajit has been shown to assist the assimilation of nutrients, minerals and oxygen into the brain that support its ability to remove dangerous toxins. Specifically, proteins such as beta-amyloid plaque and tau which can build up over time and lead to neuronal dysfunction and early cell death. Prolonged build-up of these proteins can eventually lead to the degenerative brain conditions Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.

Shilajit has also been found to inhibit the enzyme that breaks down the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is critical for memory, concentration and overall brain function – stress and aging can decrease levels of this important compound. Shilajit works to promote healthy levels of acetylcholine, further protecting the brain from degeneration.

Finally, in the case of Parkinson’s disease, Shilajit has been found to increase levels of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that is reduced by this condition. Furthermore, the underlying power of Shilajit to restore the electrical activity of body cells can help to slow down the progression of this degenerative disease."

Been trying to look into studies on its effects on the brain but they are way too complicated for my simple mind. This website nicely summarises the effects.

Seems to make sense, I get some mild depression from this but also paradoxically feels like an increase in my dopamine as I am less likely to do things that distract me from tasks. Makes my head hot and increases memory capacity but in the process you lose that sense of euphoria that life tends to bring when doing things you enjoy. Feels like I can concentrate on a task but ultimately I don't care that much for it. Feels paradoxical and I don't think this is a longterm substance. It also feels anxiety reducing as well which seems odd. I will say the mild depression is much more preferable to the manic anxiety state so that's a plus.

Other effects I've noticed are nice though like increased facial hair and bodily leanness as well as tighter more defined feeling muscles.

dukesbobby777

I've been taking it for the past five or six months. I guess it increases energy a bit during the day, but its biggest benefit for me is its effect on sleep. I have no awakenings at all during the nights I go to bed (which started becoming an issue for a year for me prior to starting shilajit). It also has a very cool effect on dreams. My dreams are so vivid on shilajit, and the sleep I get is deep for the entire night. It doesn't cause grogginess in the mornings. It's just something I always take now. I'm not sure if you are supposed to take breaks, but the effects have been so positive for me, I don't really see a need to stop. I've noticed no negatives at all.

I don't think its done anything for me hormonally though.

Last edited:

Dr. B

"A potent detoxifier for the brain, Shilajit has been shown to assist the assimilation of nutrients, minerals and oxygen into the brain that support its ability to remove dangerous toxins. Specifically, proteins such as beta-amyloid plaque and tau which can build up over time and lead to neuronal dysfunction and early cell death. Prolonged build-up of these proteins can eventually lead to the degenerative brain conditions Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.

Shilajit has also been found to inhibit the enzyme that breaks down the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is critical for memory, concentration and overall brain function – stress and aging can decrease levels of this important compound. Shilajit works to promote healthy levels of acetylcholine, further protecting the brain from degeneration.

Finally, in the case of Parkinson’s disease, Shilajit has been found to increase levels of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that is reduced by this condition. Furthermore, the underlying power of Shilajit to restore the electrical activity of body cells can help to slow down the progression of this degenerative disease."

Been trying to look into studies on its effects on the brain but they are way too complicated for my simple mind. This website nicely summarises the effects.

Seems to make sense, I get some mild depression from this but also paradoxically feels like an increase in my dopamine as I am less likely to do things that distract me from tasks. Makes my head hot and increases memory capacity but in the process you lose that sense of euphoria that life tends to bring when doing things you enjoy. Feels like I can concentrate on a task but ultimately I don't care that much for it. Feels paradoxical and I don't think this is a longterm substance. It also feels anxiety reducing as well which seems odd. I will say the mild depression is much more preferable to the manic anxiety state so that's a plus.

Other effects I've noticed are nice though like increased facial hair and bodily leanness as well as tighter more defined feeling muscles.

Raising acetylcholine isn’t considered a good thing though correct. What are the potential risks to shilajit, is it toxins? I think it tests high in some heavy metals or fumaric acid or something?

Jabuger

Raising acetylcholine isn’t considered a good thing though correct. What are the potential risks to shilajit, is it toxins? I think it tests high in some heavy metals or fumaric acid or something?

Yea I meant to say that I think the raising of acetylcholine is the reason for these mild depression like symptoms (more like a blunt on all your feelings whether positive or negative).

I've been taking it for the past five or six months. I guess it increases energy a bit during the day, but its biggest benefit for me is its effect on sleep. I have no awakenings at all during the nights I go to bed (which started becoming an issue for a year for me prior to starting shilajit). It also has a very cool effect on dreams. My dreams are so vivid on shilajit, and the sleep I get is deep for the entire night. It doesn't cause grogginess in the mornings. It's just something I always take now. I'm not sure if you are supposed to take breaks, but the effects have been so positive for me, I don't really see a need to stop. I've noticed no negatives at all.

I don't think its done anything for me hormonally though.

Same here with the sleep, it’s nice I must say, had a very vivid and long dream last night. Still I get some slight depressive symptoms from. Going to go some days without it and see how it affects me. The odd thing is I don’t really feel super unhappy or happy on it it’s more like blunting of emotions to where I don’t care very much about anything.

Dr. B

Yea I meant to say that I think the raising of acetylcholine is the reason for these mild depression like symptoms (more like a blunt on all your feelings whether positive or negative).

Same here with the sleep, it’s nice I must say, had a very vivid and long dream last night. Still I get some slight depressive symptoms from. Going to go some days without it and see how it affects me. The odd thing is I don’t really feel super unhappy or happy on it it’s more like blunting of emotions to where I don’t care very much about anything.

Vitamin E can also raise it cant it? Maybe aspirin too i can’t remember. Choline supplements themselves? I get acne and oily skin from high doses vitamin E, daily aspirin taken too long, and choline supplements themselves so I wonder how this would affect skin and hair?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals