Anyone tried or had success with the acid-base ideas of Amazoniac / Amarsh213?

I'm thinking specifically of threads like this one.

I know that ultimately an ideal Peat inspired diet would be more base producing. I suppose I'm wondering if anyone has experienced positive effects from pushing in this direction after previously being the opposite way.

Amarsh's comments about exhaling CO2 are interesting. I've experienced immediate shallow benefits (hard to tell if it's just a short term response), from keeping my diet more alkaline and doing fast hill walks in the morning. Gets me very breathless but I feel good and have great colour in my cheeks for the rest of the day.

Anyway, just worth an ask!

JohnHafterson

There are a fair amount of papers on benefits: bone density, muscle mass, endocrine function ( thyroid function, growth hormone sensitivity, insulin sensitivity ).

I played around with potassium citrate and potassium bicarbonates and leaned out quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_0560.PNG
    IMG_0560.PNG
    118.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
OP
T
There are a fair amount of papers on benefits: bone density, muscle mass, endocrine function ( thyroid function, growth hormone sensitivity, insulin sensitivity ).

I played around with potassium citrate and potassium bicarbonates and leaned out quickly.
Thanks, John. Yeah, I've read plenty of encouraging papers. I suppose the last piece in the puzzle for me was first hand experience from someone who'd been there, besides Amarsh213 of course.

That's really interesting - you just added the citrates / bicarbonates and leaned out? Was that your only variable? How much weight did you have to lose? Was it water weight that went or fat?

I remember reading something about acid-base balance and prolactin, but haven't been able to find it since. I have historically high prolactin, so this interested me. If you know of anything similar, let me know.

martybyrde

Thanks, John. Yeah, I've read plenty of encouraging papers. I suppose the last piece in the puzzle for me was first hand experience from someone who'd been there, besides Amarsh213 of course.

That's really interesting - you just added the citrates / bicarbonates and leaned out? Was that your only variable? How much weight did you have to lose? Was it water weight that went or fat?

I remember reading something about acid-base balance and prolactin, but haven't been able to find it since. I have historically high prolactin, so this interested me. If you know of anything similar, let me know.
I had the same experience. Alkaline diet through citrates and bicarbonate has leaned me out, maybe it was water but I look much better

Nebula

I think there’s probably something potentially very beneficial about a high potassium/citrate intake and maybe low salt and meat too. For a couple weeks I mostly ate baked potatoes with no salt, bananas, citrus juice, dates, pineapple. My extremities started becoming bright red with warmth after meals along with a feeling of euphoria. It was definitely improving carb metabolism, but I found it hard to eat enough calories and was starting to lose a lot of muscle. I might experiment with these ideas again but maybe with adding a lot of raw cream to get more calories in easier.

Last edited:
OP
T
I had the same experience. Alkaline diet through citrates and bicarbonate has leaned me out, maybe it was water but I look much better
Thanks for sharing Marty. Was this just you adding the citrates and bicarbonates to the diet or was it also removing acid forming elements? Did you have to supplement or was it through a more vege/fruit diet alone?

OP
T
I think there’s probably something potentially very beneficial about a high potassium/citrate intake and maybe low salt and meat too. For a couple weeks I mostly ate baked potatoes with no salt, bananas, citrus juice, dates, pineapple. My extremities started becoming bright red with warmth after meals along with a feeling of euphoria. It was definitely improving carb metabolism, but I found it hard to eat enough calories and was starting to lose a lot of muscle. I might experiment with these ideas again but maybe with adding a lot of raw cream to get more calories in easier.
Interesting, thanks Nebula. How long before you started noticing the warm extremities? Was it just the struggle to eat calories that made you stop, assuming you did stop?

I've found eating without salt or meat to feel strange, but this makes me wonder whether I'm so tuned in this way that'll it'll take a while to feel comfortable with it.

revenant

Potassium bicarbonate and especially k-water (taurine + potassium bicarb in water) makes me feel good, and I intuitively feel like my body tends to be more acidic. I often feel like consuming something that balances it towards more alkaline. I used to have silent reflux with pepsin burning the back of my throat constantly, but now it's fixed.

However, now it seems like I don't produce enough stomach acid anymore, as after anything I eat I get gurgling and indigestion that is fixed by taking betaine.

martybyrde

Thanks for sharing Marty. Was this just you adding the citrates and bicarbonates to the diet or was it also removing acid forming elements? Did you have to supplement or was it through a more vege/fruit diet alone?
With enough coconut water I could pretty much eat anything, but definitely limited acidic foods. Bicarbonate is more potent but possibly better taken less frequently

JohnHafterson

I was also tracking PRAL ( potential renal acid load ) with a calculator to get an idea of acid loads and just used k-citrate and k-bicarb for a little more more base.

Dr. B

the diet seemed low in protein, wouldnt that cause the muscle loss? carbs should normally help muscle growth.
what are the reasons for doing a low salt diet? would pink salt have issues too? the standard table salt is different to sea salt or pink salt.
what do you think of doing something like 70g protein and 70g fat from whole milk daily, plus 250g carbs from organic cane sugar, plus 100g carbs from orange or grape or pomegranate juice, plus 100g carbs from milk, 30g carbs from coconut water, 50g from honey and figs for a total of 530g carbs.

fractal

Potassium bicarbonate and especially k-water (taurine + potassium bicarb in water) makes me feel good, and I intuitively feel like my body tends to be more acidic. I often feel like consuming something that balances it towards more alkaline. I used to have silent reflux with pepsin burning the back of my throat constantly, but now it's fixed.

However, now it seems like I don't produce enough stomach acid anymore, as after anything I eat I get gurgling and indigestion that is fixed by taking betaine.
The same happens to me. What time of day were you taking it or were you sipping it all day long?

Vins7

Constantly clear pissing may have something to do with the body's acidosis/alkalinity principles?

Wagner83

I had scary things happen with my heart when supplementing less than what was deemed a safe dose of potassium citrate by the manufacturer. I remember @haidut commented on the dangers of supplementing potassium(heart attack?). Needless to say it ended in the trash quick after I connected the dots. Now I doubt I'll touch it again, even with a ten foot pole.

Nebula

I had scary things happen with my heart when supplementing less than what was deemed a safe dose of potassium citrate by the manufacturer. I remember @haidut commented on the dangers of supplementing potassium(heart attack?). Needless to say it ended in the trash quick after I connected the dots. Now I doubt I'll touch it again, even with a ten foot pole.
That happened the first few times I took a dose of potassium. Now I can take a gram without any heart palpitations. I’m not sure why.

Dr. B

@Nebula how is coconut water orange juice etc so tolerable? They have 450mg potassium per 8oz so that can really add up. It seems its not just dosage but something else with potassium supplements maybe the isolated nature to them. Potassium supplements legally actually can’t have more than 99mg per pill due to side effects. I think the lethal injection drugs have some form of potassium in them too

Back
Top Bottom