Anyone that has healed FODMAP sensetivity eating this way?

favetelinguis

I have tried Paleo 2years and now lately raw food low fat with lots of fruit but they have both failed to help me due to issues with frodmap sensetivity caused by an inbalance in my gutbalance and a cronic inflammatin in my prostate gland. However they have both helped me some in different ways and after reading up on ray peat it seems like this guy might have found the missing link in these both diets.

The problem is that lots of the things he suggest i know would really cause me problems like drinking fruit juice and milk and i was now wondering if anyone with lots of digestive issues has gotten healed after a few weeks with problems while adjusting or what types of problems people have before getting in to this diet?

pboy

Re: Anyone that has healed FODMAP sensetivity eating this wa

I don't follow FODMAP exactly, but there are some good principles I've taken from it and follow based on that they seem accurate and work for me

- No more free fructose than glucose at once (so no agave, honey, HFCS, some fruits)
- No / as limited as possible sugar alcohols, gums, soluble fibers, algae, seaweed, or mushrooms (basically nothing gummy, or indigestible)
- I don't handle dairy well, but have been reintroducing grass fed whey and ghee recently and have had good results actually, I may add cheese and/or skim milk in the future but don't feel the need at the time
- No / limited grains, seeds, nuts, beans, berries, figs (the only seeds that appear in my diet are coffee, chocolate, and coconut on occasion...but I even do better with limited or none of these)

I don't eat all the meat recommended on FODMAP diet, nor do I eat any fermented foods. And I do eat quite the bit of cane sugar

I don't tolerate juice well either, but have found I handle Uncle Matts organic orange juice, freshly squeezed orange juice, and pretty much any Pineapple juice
I don't tolerate dairy well either, but do tolerate the whey and fat portion (fat in small amounts). Get a good quality grass fed whey, mix it with pure cane sugar and/or ghee/butter and
it becomes a semi recreated milk that's way easier to digest. I usually just do whey + sugar and if I have ghee or butter have it separate so I can really have it chewed well. The only down side to this is you don't get much of the calcium portion of the milk, but still get all the other vitamin, minerals, proteins, beneficial fat and cholesterol

Dutchie

Interesting especially about the fructose since i seem to be going back&forth with it. What do you eat on an average day if you cant handle many fruits and dairy?do you eat starch from non grain sources?as gaps and scd strictly warn to. Avoid it.
I guess thats why the gelatin/broth is important to heal the gut and thus intolerances.

Just a suggestion if youre gonna introduce dairy,u migth wanna start with goat....much easier on digestion and higher in. sat.fat&mct

Mittir

I thought i was lactose intolerant. It took me about 3 months to be able to drink about a quart of milk . I started very slow, one fourth cup daily. Milk with meal makes it easier to digest. You may have some mild digestion problem in the beginning. I think adding sugar to milk makes it easier to digest. I still cant drink more than half a cup at a time, i need about one hour gap between two intake of milk. . Daily Raw carrot salad helps with gut bacteria. Hypothyroid people tend to have problem with digesting lactose.You can use cheese instead of milk. Aged cheese are often high in histamine and that can cause problem. Cottage cheese do not have that problem, but it is quite low in calcium. You need at least 1000 mg calcium and preferably 1500 mg. Ray Peat discussed milk intolerance in this article.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/milk.shtml
Unripe and commercially grown fruits are often allergenic. It is not only about FODMAP . RP suggests against
fermentable fibers and anything that feeds bacteria: starch and FODMAP. Do you have problem with digesting table sugar?
There is a list of fruits here that were recommended by RP.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=588
I am fine with well strained OJ, it looks almost transparent.

Dutchie

Mittir said:
I thought i was lactose intolerant. It took me about 3 months to be able to drink about a quart of milk . I started very slow, one fourth cup daily. Milk with meal makes it easier to digest. You may have some mild digestion problem in the beginning. I think adding sugar to milk makes it easier to digest. I still cant drink more than half a cup at a time, i need about one hour gap between two intake of milk. . Daily Raw carrot salad helps with gut bacteria. Hypothyroid people tend to have problem with digesting lactose.You can use cheese instead of milk. Aged cheese are often high in histamine and that can cause problem. Cottage cheese do not have that problem, but it is quite low in calcium. You need at least 1000 mg calcium and preferably 1500 mg. Ray Peat discussed milk intolerance in this article.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/milk.shtml
Unripe and commercially grown fruits are often allergenic. It is not only about FODMAP . RP suggests against
fermentable fibers and anything that feeds bacteria: starch and FODMAP. Do you have problem with digesting table sugar?
There is a list of fruits here that were recommended by RP.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=588
I am fine with well strained OJ, it looks almost transparent.

It's all easy digestible,but that's acyually another problem I feel really ravenous&hollow eating liquidy easy digetible non-solid fiberless foods.

peateats1

I was definitely salicylate sensitive, on a diet of peas, green beans, chicken, beef, cashew butter, and bananas for over two years...finally came across ray peats work and decided to cut out cashew butter, then chicken due to pufa, and its been about a year since then and I can now have as much orange juice as I want...in other words, salicylates don't bother me at all anymore!! I can also eat carrots, and goat's milk and cheese, which I was having a lot of problems with before...hope that helps!

Beebop

peateats1 said:
salicylate sensitive

I recently asked Peat about salicylate intolerance and fruit and this is what he told me:

Fruits contain almost no salicylic acid.

Determination of Acetylsalicylic Acid and Salicylic Acid in Foods, Using HPLC with Fluorescence Detection
J. Agric. Food Chem., 1996, 44 (7), pp 1762–1767
We developed a specific and sensitive HPLC method with fluorescence detection for the determination of free acetylsalicylic acid, free salicylic acid, and free salicylic acid plus salicylic acid after alkaline hydrolysis (free-plus-bound) in foods. Acetylsalicylic acid was detected after postcolumn hydrolysis to salicylic acid. With the method for free acetylsalicylic acid and salicylic acid, recovery was 95−98% for acetylsalicylic acid added to foods and 92−102% for salicylic acid. Recovery of added salicylic acid was 79−94% for the free-plus-bound salicylic acid method. The limit of detection was 0.02 mg/kg for fresh and 0.2 mg/kg for dried foods for all substances. We did not find acetylsalicylic acid in any of 30 foods previously thought to be high in salicylates. The contents of free-plus-bound salicylic acid and of free salicylic acid ranged from 0 to 1 mg/kg in vegetables and fruits and from 3 to 28 mg/kg in herbs and spices. Thus the tested foods did not contain acetylsalicylic acid and only small amounts of salicylic acid. Our data suggest that the average daily intake of acetylsalicylic acid from foods is nil and that of salicylic acid is 0−5 mg/day.
Ray Peat

tigerlily96

Interesting!

I had a big problem with what I thought was salicylates but now realise more likely sulphites and unripe produce.

Sea

I healed a lot of digestive problems with Ray Peat's ideas. Before Ray Peat I was having anaphylaxis to various foods that I can eat now and I no longer have any food intolerances.

I think the key is to kill off bacteria,parasites, and fungi that have colonized your small intestine and are causing your food intolerances. I think you can go from hypothyroid to normal, simply by nuking the bacteria well enough as long as you are eating enough food. Antibiotics are very effective at killing off bacteria, so I would start there. Tetracyline and penicillin are two antibiotic classes to consider. Other ways to kill off these pathogens are herbs like oregano oil. Aspirin increases your ability to kill off these infections with your own immune system. Caffeine can also help.

After some antibiotics you should have a much easier job digesting things like milk, fruit juice, and collagen. Before antibiotics I found that the foods easiest to digest were: Honey, fresh squeezed orange juice, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, white potatoes, white rice, and typical kids food items like macaroni and cheese, cheese pizza and similar foods made from refined starches. I think the whole grains and things like the sweet potato or beans which are higher in fermentable fibers can cause the most problems. I would limit fiber to whatever you get from fruits and a few carrots to make sure that your gi tract is being adequately cleaned out.

The second thing to consider is calories. The body increases metabolism when diet and caloric intake allow for it to occur. If a diet loosely based around Ray Peat's ideal foods is adopted then you won't have to worry about specific nutrients or things like calcium to phosphate ratio and polyunsaturated fats interfering with metabolism. The bottleneck is energy so I would try to maximize your caloric intake so long as it doesn't cause you digestive discomfort. When metabolism is still slow energy isn't used as efficiently so you may need a lot of calories to reach a point where your body isn't lacking in energy. I needed around 4000-6000 calories/day initially for many months which has gradually fallen to the 3500 or so calories that I average now that my metabolism is faster and I metabolize sugar more efficiently. I think it is best to include a lot of refined starches in the diet initially until temperature increases and more watery foods can be tolerated.

YuraCZ

peateats1 said:
I was definitely salicylate sensitive, on a diet of peas, green beans, chicken, beef, cashew butter, and bananas for over two years...finally came across ray peats work and decided to cut out cashew butter, then chicken due to pufa, and its been about a year since then and I can now have as much orange juice as I want...in other words, salicylates don't bother me at all anymore!! I can also eat carrots, and goat's milk and cheese, which I was having a lot of problems with before...hope that helps!
Since chicken/turkey skinless breasts and properly cleaned of all fat are almost no fat, just protein. It's no problem for me. The whole chicken with all that fat is completely different story.. Chicken breast are cheap and good source of protein. I always add some hydrolyzed collagen for aminos balance.. Right now I go low FODMAP, low fat almost something like 80-5-15, no cocoa, no dairy, no gluten and so far so good. I realize high fat or even moderate diet is not for me..

tigerlily96

Those last two replies helped so much. I'm pretty sure my system is pufa'd up as I have a very shady pufa past :?