Anyone taking Levothyroxine with normal TSH but low Free T4 and Free T3?

Ippodrom47

Hi! Really need some advice here. Male, 31. My TSH has been around 1.2-1.4-1.77 in recent tests, however, my free t4 and t3 are borderline low or below normal. I have all the classic symptoms of hypothyroidism, such as fatigue, mood swings, dry skin, low libido, sluggish gut, carotenemia, high cholesterol, etc. My endo wants to put me on levothyroxine, her reasoning being that my brain actually thinks I have enough thyroid hormone, while in reality, I'm deficient. I have really bad constipation issues and was severely overtraining some time ago, along with overdoing kelp and iodized salt. She suggested the lowest dose of 25 mcg a day before breakfast. Want to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance!

gallahad

Hi,
your issues would probably resolve on its own if you stop training excessively for a while and stop using iodine. if i where you i wouldn't take t4 alone - it is very likely that you end up hypothyroid with t4 alone as it tends to backup and converts to rt3.
Try to eat enough carbs that you are able to digest and do not go extreme on training and minerals... Focus on how you feel.. blood tests aren't everything..
all the best for now

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Hi,
your issues would probably resolve on its own if you stop training excessively for a while and stop using iodine. if i where you i wouldn't take t4 alone - it is very likely that you end up hypothyroid with t4 alone as it tends to backup and converts to rt3.
Try to eat enough carbs that you are able to digest and do not go extreme on training and minerals... Focus on how you feel.. blood tests aren't everything..
all the best for now
Thanks very much! Should I also get tested for heavy metals/mold?
I had mold in my previous apartment as well.

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Thanks very much! Should I also get tested for heavy metals/mold?
I had mold in my previous apartment as well.
I've read that mold and heavy metals are also among the things that tend to disrupt thyroid function.