Anyone Struggled With Weight All Their Life And Only Lost It After Peating?

Ok, guys and girls, serious question here ...

I know weight isn't the "be all, end all", but I can hardly think of any cases on these forums of someone who has struggled with excess weight all their life and only lost it after implementing some Peaty changes.

There are quite a few on here that have lost weight with Peat principles but almost all of these cases seem like people with a non-obese baseline. Very young people and/or very active people and/or very good genetics.

I am looking for testimonials of people here who have obese genetics and/or have a sedentary lifestyle that made them struggle with excess weight most of their life but who have permanently reversed this with Peat principles. And also people whose hormones either stayed the same or improved with the weight loss.

If this is you, please tell us how you did it and any other helpful info.

I can't respond to this thread much during the day but I am very grateful for your feedback.

opethfeldt

I've always been on the heavier side for my height. Peating hasn't made me as lean as I was when I did intermittent fasting but I definitely keep a healthier weight than I did when I was on a standard American diet. The peat diet strikes a great balance between aesthetics and health that I just wasn't getting from fasting. It took me a long time to get my weight down after the intial weight gain from this diet, however. You need to accept that it's a long term change and that the weight will come down as your hormonal profile improves and metabolism increases.

Arnold Grape

I do not fall within the demographic you are soliciting here today, however, I can report hat when I was failing on my ostensibly healthy diet in the past (greens; high protein; low fat) with exercise, my calorie (and fat intake) has probably at least doubled with Peat and I struggle to keep weight on and do low exercise. That proves to me that calories are not the same, there is high importance with what we consume and that no one has figured out the most optimal calories, as of now.

baccheion

I've always been on the heavier side for my height. Peating hasn't made me as lean as I was when I did intermittent fasting but I definitely keep a healthier weight than I did when I was on a standard American diet. The peat diet strikes a great balance between aesthetics and health that I just wasn't getting from fasting. It took me a long time to get my weight down after the intial weight gain from this diet, however. You need to accept that it's a long term change and that the weight will come down as your hormonal profile improves and metabolism increases.
What were you eating when you gained weight? How many calories? How much of a surplus? What percent fat, protein, carbs, etc? What sources of fat (ie, how much SFA vs. MUFA)?

opethfeldt

What were you eating when you gained weight? How many calories? How much of a surplus? What percent fat, protein, carbs, etc? What sources of fat (ie, how much SFA vs. MUFA)?
I pretty much consumed liberal amounts of OJ, milk, liver, gummi bears, coconut oil. Anything I could to get back to a state of metabolic health. Most of the fat was SFA of course. As far as percentages, I'm not sure. I don't analyze it that precisely, even now. I do limit fat more now than before. At this point, I eat a similar diet but I just eat when I'm hungry as opposed to purposely trying to eat in a surplus.

OP
corvetteseeker
thanks I much for the feedback. @opethfeldt it sounds like you went through a similar process as @Kelj - I have a similar history as you as I initially saw great success with fasting but it wrecked me eventually. I want to trust the process but I’ll admit it’s very hard to have faith at times.

@Arnold Grape very interesting, thanks for sharing your journey.

Anyone else?

baccheion

I pretty much consumed liberal amounts of OJ, milk, liver, gummi bears, coconut oil. Anything I could to get back to a state of metabolic health. Most of the fat was SFA of course. As far as percentages, I'm not sure. I don't analyze it that precisely, even now. I do limit fat more now than before. At this point, I eat a similar diet but I just eat when I'm hungry as opposed to purposely trying to eat in a surplus.
Do you remember roughly how many tbsps coconut oil? How much did you weigh? What body fat? What % milk? What ratio OJ to milk (ounces)? 1:2? How did you get the weight down?

tankasnowgod

I have struggled with weight my entire life, or at least since I was 8. I think that initial fat gain came from an unnecessary surgery, and the spiking of Iron Fortification in the US. Lost some weight in high school by giving up soda. By the time I was 21, it seemed like weight pretty much kept going up, although I did get it down a bit from time to time. I hit the heaviest weight of my life when I started working an early morning shift. IF and Paleo helped me to drop about 50 pounds that time . I then got freezing cold hands and feet, and other hypo symptoms, and gaining weight, and around that time, discovered Peat. I had regained most of the weight I lost, but then lost it again using Peat's ideas along with Anthony Colpo's Fat Loss Bible and a Fitbit. That did work better for fat loss and left me feeling better overall for longer than IF and paleo did. I maintained that for a few years. But in the past year, I felt like I hit a wall, and everything came back, and a bit more. I'm approaching 45, and Haidut mentioned this has happened to many people that he knows about this age.

HOWEVER.... all of that was in the context of working an early morning shift for 10 years. A lot of research shows that this type of schedule wreaks havoc on cortisol levels (making them high). I stopped working that shift in the past four months, and am using some other strategies to reduce cortisol, estrogen, and the other stress hormones/substances. I am looking forward to the next year, and have seen some early dividends from these strategies (despite implementing them in the depths of winter).

So that is my failure/success and looking toward the future experience.

baccheion

I have struggled with weight my entire life, or at least since I was 8. I think that initial fat gain came from an unnecessary surgery, and the spiking of Iron Fortification in the US. Lost some weight in high school by giving up soda. By the time I was 21, it seemed like weight pretty much kept going up, although I did get it down a bit from time to time. I hit the heaviest weight of my life when I started working an early morning shift. IF and Paleo helped me to drop about 50 pounds that time . I then got freezing cold hands and feet, and other hypo symptoms, and gaining weight, and around that time, discovered Peat. I had regained most of the weight I lost, but then lost it again using Peat's ideas along with Anthony Colpo's Fat Loss Bible and a Fitbit. That did work better for fat loss and left me feeling better overall for longer than IF and paleo did. I maintained that for a few years. But in the past year, I felt like I hit a wall, and everything came back, and a bit more. I'm approaching 45, and Haidut mentioned this has happened to many people that he knows about this age.

HOWEVER.... all of that was in the context of working an early morning shift for 10 years. A lot of research shows that this type of schedule wreaks havoc on cortisol levels (making them high). I stopped working that shift in the past four months, and am using some other strategies to reduce cortisol, estrogen, and the other stress hormones/substances. I am looking forward to the next year, and have seen some early dividends from these strategies (despite implementing them in the depths of winter).

So that is my failure/success and looking toward the future experience.
How early? Some believe 10pm-6am is the preferred sleep window. I say it's rising with the sun (ie, 6:30-7:30 am wakeup time).

tankasnowgod

How early? Some believe 10pm-6am is the preferred sleep window. I say it's rising with the sun (ie, 6:30-7:30 am wakeup time).

Between 4am and 5am is when I got up, and I had transitioned from working an afternoon to evening shift, that ususally went from 4pm-11pm. sometimes shorter. My sleep schedule then was about 2pm-10am. I loved that. The early morning hours were okay at first, and at times, even beneficial. However, after 10 plus years, I was really feeling it, and not in a good way.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals