Anyone overcome bad memories?

noodlecat

"..."Nothing is stored [in the organism]; it's like the pasts are all present in the same room, and we periodically have a different perspective on them. When the present balance of stuff, toxicants, euphoriants, etc., is good, you can think and feel what you want to about things." —Ray Peat

Last edited:

Jinzo

That quote is so true. It almost makes me feel insane sometimes how different I think about things that have happened to me on even a day to day basis.

OP
N

noodlecat

That quote is so true. It almost makes me feel insane sometimes how different I think about things that have happened to me on even a day to day basis.
i feel that. hopefully i can improve my metabolism enough so that i never dip below the level where such things mentally disturb me anymore.

ww3not4me

I refuse to believe that diet changes will over come bad memories! There are plenty of well studied and documented ways to change how you feel about or perceive past events and last I checked none of them are based on diet!

Like Ray Peat said "Nothing is stored in the organism" since memories are not material or matter related then matter is not of primary importance to them or there perception. Food is matter and emotions and memories are not. Our memories and feeling are not Newtonian at all and not part of that world. Only if one is talking about subjugating the mind via intoxicant does that not ring true.

You can change your perspective on anything any time you want! It might not be easy in the beginning but your mind and your emotions should do your bidding not the other way around. Your not a feather in the wind unless you chose to be and same thing goes for your thoughts, dreams, desires and emotions!

OP
N

noodlecat

I refuse to believe that diet changes will over come bad memories! There are plenty of well studied and documented ways to change how you feel about or perceive past events and last I checked none of them are based on diet!

Like Ray Peat said "Nothing is stored in the organism" since memories are not material or matter related then matter is not of primary importance to them or there perception. Food is matter and emotions and memories are not. Our memories and feeling are not Newtonian at all and not part of that world. Only if one is talking about subjugating the mind via intoxicant does that not ring true.

You can change your perspective on anything any time you want! It might not be easy in the beginning but your mind and your emotions should do your bidding not the other way around. Your not a feather in the wind unless you chose to be and same thing goes for your thoughts, dreams, desires and emotions!
im not a fan of dualism

dlind70

Explain what memory is? My theory is memories are actually the gas helium. Memory is 'more of me.' and I disagree that nutrition does not affect your outcome for your current memories. If you are in a bad nutrition state not able to go to the bathroom not able to work you your memories can trip you up. The good news is this can be mitigated through good nutrition good nutrition begets good thoughts. And right thinking can beget right memories

dlind70

Memories are material if you think that food is matter that means memories are matter as well it's all part of the same thing. When you boil it down the food we eat can actually be turned into a gas because 95% of the universe is hydrogen and everything else can be boiled down to the other elements

OP
N

noodlecat

Explain what memory is? My theory is memories are actually the gas helium. Memory is 'more of me.' and I disagree that nutrition does not affect your outcome for your current memories. If you are in a bad nutrition state not able to go to the bathroom not able to work you your memories can trip you up. The good news is this can be mitigated through good nutrition good nutrition begets good thoughts. And right thinking can beget right memories
why helium?

Filosofy

Of course people have overcome bad memories. I believe any traumatic memory can be transformed into a learning and even positive experience.

The sticky nature of trauma is partially due to a toxic and/or weak organism. Parasites, indigestion, constipation, all these things are hubs. Peatarian protocols can help to lay this ground work but ultimately, the work msut be done on a mind and emotional level, no?

Stop the running. When faced honestly, the pain is never as bad as imagined or as the body may caution us that it is. The more we face our pain and emotions the better patterns we build around it until we are finally able to do it subconsiously. At some point we can meet things relaxedly and then bad memories are not even stored anymore, at least not as such.

Slappy Hands

yes. i have had panic attacks in the past just from remembering past events and over the years, they have diminished. sometimes, i don't remember them for years...then i can have a very lucid experience, possibly like a lucid dream, where the events just "take place" but i have no emotional investment in it at all

it's almost like editing - eventually, you get all the trauma processed and the event can be experienced as it actually happened, rather than how you perceived it to happen. after that, i don't expect to ever go through it again, in fact i would go as far to say i find it difficult to recollect such experiences, after true catharsis has happened (i even believe my thoughts or at least personality can be affected by this, if the events in question took place early on.

cupofcoffee

yes. i have had panic attacks in the past just from remembering past events and over the years, they have diminished. sometimes, i don't remember them for years...then i can have a very lucid experience, possibly like a lucid dream, where the events just "take place" but i have no emotional investment in it at all

it's almost like editing - eventually, you get all the trauma processed and the event can be experienced as it actually happened, rather than how you perceived it to happen. after that, i don't expect to ever go through it again, in fact i would go as far to say i find it difficult to recollect such experiences, after true catharsis has happened (i even believe my thoughts or at least personality can be affected by this, if the events in question took place early on.
I agree with this.

On a side note, Aspirin helps tremendously with, probably by increasing brain metabolism by blocking prostaglandins and allowing me to "rearrange" my memories and emotions more easily.

Slappy Hands

I agree with this.

On a side note, Aspirin helps tremendously with, probably by increasing brain metabolism by blocking prostaglandins and allowing me to "rearrange" my memories and emotions more easily.
the last time i experienced this i was at the end of a week of severe mania and no sleep, and i'd been working out like a freak to manage the insomnia. my memory of that week is so clear i can even tell you that i only slept from 11pm-130am on the tues, and 5am-7am on the thurs, when the catharsis took place shortly after...but i can't for the life of me remember wtf actually happened in my head, except vagueries about how it made me feel, or didn't.

it's so mental that something can follow you through life for decades, then just evaporate.

Mr Joe

I don't think it's correct. Metabolism is a key part between the real world and the "perception/spiritual" world. There is some study that shows that mouses with high serotonin will tend to "slaved and anxious/depression" dehaviors. When serotonin is decreased or/and metabolism is increased they anxiety diseaper. Every one of us will enjoy even smallest things of life differently depending on you "mental state yes" but also depending on your metabolism. I have experienced depression on the morning due to extend night with high serotonin/cortisol, and then different perception of the world just after taking breakfast, and having some cypro or dopamin agonist. If we consider the mechanism behind traumatic stress disorder, if you are in extreme anxiety state, any little memory will trigger a full cycle of extend anxiety and panic. Some experience that with phobia, like spiders etc... High metabolism gives you the possibility to challange life, and overcome issues. If a trauma memory is an issue, you will probably see it differently. So Peat is definitly right when he said "When the present balance of stuff, toxicants, euphoriants, etc., is good, you can think and feel what you want to about things".

SuperStressed

If you refuse to believe it well... you know.

LUH 3417

But your prefrontal cortex is material, no?

Gbriel

"..."Nothing is stored [in the organism]; it's like the pasts are all present in the same room, and we periodically have a different perspective on them. When the present balance of stuff, toxicants, euphoriants, etc., is good, you can think and feel what you want to about things." —Ray Peat
Honestly,
“The cave you fear to enter holds your deepest treasure”
Joseph Campbell (quoting someone else)

Learning how to embrace our shadow. Learning how to love ourself fully.

It takes courage to face and embrace these things.
But they are apart of us.
And in some ways
They are our calling in life
The dragon that needs to be subdued

You should check out the 6 part interview series with Joseph gamble and bill motets (just Google it)

It’s a wonderful in depth discussion on the human condition and how mythology was created to help us remember what it means to be alive

Mossy

I realize that the Peat perspective is rooted in a physiological approach to healing, and no doubt there is value to that, at least temporally; but beyond that, and arguably more important to the health of our true self, there are the deeper rooted areas. I would call these areas non-physiological but I'd guess there is a point of connection that can't ultimately be divided.

Beyond the physiological, at least as we know it, two simple, timeless principles come to mind to overcome the bad (evil) of life and its consequences on the mind, heart, soul, and body—forgive and forget. Forgive the evil; forget the evil, remember the good.

A great mind, Charles Williams (a friend of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien), expounds on these principles, for those that don't mind a religious but highly intellectual read: He came down from heaven : Williams, Charles, 1886-1945 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

And funny enough, Charles Williams looks like he could be related to Ray Peat:

iu

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals