Anyone NOT Do Well While Taking Gelatin - What Reactins/Symptoms?

DMF

Now that my honeymoon with gelatin has been on the wane for awhile, I'm curious to hear about other's less-then-perfect experiance with this much touted miracle food. I seem to get headaches where before I didn't, and It gives me a "rubber-like" feeling or a certain kind of sluggishness during the day - so now I'll take it only with/at supper, as I scale down to a bare minimum - two tablespoon size plain wiggly "scoops" - no, not powder but actual plain red canister gelatin - 3 boiled water pints + 2 tablespoons.

Last edited:

Constatine

I do horribly with gelatin, headaches included. Seems to give me glutamate toxicity/excitotoxicity or something similar.

laleto12

never tried gelatin but collagen hydrolysate gives me horrible gas and bloating

-Luke-

I get headaches from gelatin, too. I guess it's a histamine/glutamate reaction. I tried to reintroduce gelatin/collagen several times. The first three or four days I always feel normal but after a while I feel bad again and stop. Perhaps it's a cumulative effect?

Vinny

Can't be very specific, but obviously, gummy bears is something I wouldn't eat anymore. They give me unpleasant digestive discomfort. However, they contain other ingredients, so the culprit might be something else, or a combination.

Bears aside, never felt whatever benefit from adding gelatin powder to food, or from foods high in it. Suspect it feeds some critters inside me, but can't prove it 100%. Definitely won't buy or add the stuff anymore.

Gone Peating

Gelatin helps my chronic neck/back pain immensely. It gives me headaches tho.

But marine collagen does not give me a headache thankfully

koky

my conflict is -I feel benefits from both, but can't stand the taste, even when making grape juice jello with gelatin
does anyone else experience this?

OP
D

DMF

I have all the symptoms mentioned above - so I lower my dosage to just one "glob" scoop out appr. one large tablespoon of homemade RedCan with dinner.
I don't know of any other sources of glycine so it's why I don't abandon gelatin altogether.

Velve921

Now that my honeymoon with gelatin has been on the wane for awhile, I'm curious to hear about other's less-then-perfect experiance with this much touted miracle food. I seem to get headaches where before I didn't, and It gives me a "rubber-like" feeling or a certain kind of sluggishness during the day - so now I'll take it only with/at supper, as I scale down to a bare minimum - two tablespoon size plain wiggly "scoops" - no, not powder but actual plain red canister gelatin - 3 boiled water pints + 2 tablespoons.

I take 15 tbsp a day and have been doing so for 5 years. Never any issues and feel great on it.

jpgio

I believe I get an excitotoxic effect from gelatin the day after I consume it (I take it at night) I tend to have racy thoughts. Not sure if it is definitely caused by the gelatin but this only started happening after adding it to my diet. It’s unfortunate though because it helps me sleep. Going to try to see if it’s the gelatin causing this for sure.

Velve921

I wish I could do 15 a day but way to expensive

I could see that... what ive noticed when I look at my food budget sheet is that when I go higher in 1 food I start buying less of another food.

For example, recently I stopped buying milk because something’s been wrong with the source. As a result, I started buying more ice cream... it all balanced out in the end.

Spartan300

I really get the thinking behind gelatin consumption but all it does for me is give me digestive issues/gurgling...

No perceptible benefits

Zpol

I've tried about a dozen different brands, every one gave me headaches after about a week of two servings per day. It also flares up shingles due to the high arginine.

It also generates a lot oxalate and so causes kidney stones in people predisposed to that condition.

Lejeboca

I'd like to crosslink here

Gelatin Can Exarcerbate A Protein Insufficiency

Following this thread fixed my issues while still not abandoning gelatin.
A major point of which is that gelatin has to be just a (small) fraction of the total protein. I think Ray suggests 1/3 of the daily protein intake, which is still high for me and mine is maybe 1/5th.

marcar72

Relying on too much gelatin to meet overall daily protein requirements I feel causes an EAA deficiency which in turn will lead to muscle wasting. Ray's suggestion of 60+g/day was not beneficial for me. :2cents:

Back
Top Bottom