Anyone Nap During The Afternoon?

Whichway?

Does anyone here that’s considers their metabolism is running really well nap/sleep during the afternoon on their days off work?

I always want to have a sleep of 60-90 minutes in the afternoon, and feel much better after doing so, but I wouldn’t call my metabolism great.

olive

Excessive tiredness like this can be indicative of an impaired liver function or excess stress hormones.

Not that there’s anything wrong with napping per say - just those who do feel the need to nap tend to be unhealthy.

OP
W

Whichway?

Excessive tiredness like this can be indicative of an impaired liver function or excess stress hormones.

Not that there’s anything wrong with napping per say - just those who do feel the need to nap tend to be unhealthy.

I will try to focus on my liver to see if that improves it.

My family does have this tendency and I know my sisters are healthy than me, but maybe we are all below par, or inherited bad food habits.

That study suggests it doesn’t affect night time sleep much, but then the participants were all much older. I would have thought younger and or healthier people would be less likely to nap, but wanted to ask.

sunraiser

This might sound dismissive, but... is it really worth stressing about?

I'm sure lots of interventions would make you stop napping, but that wouldn't necessarily mean they were making you healthier. The fact you feel good from it is a good sign - it is what it is.

It'd be interesting to see if you napped every day if you had a week off work, but I definitely wouldn't try to address it or work around it. In my worst health states I've been physically unable to nap so I'd say you're not in the worst possible place!

OP
W

Whichway?

This might sound dismissive, but... is it really worth stressing about?

I'm sure lots of interventions would make you stop napping, but that wouldn't necessarily mean they were making you healthier. The fact you feel good from it is a good sign - it is what it is.

It'd be interesting to see if you napped every day if you had a week off work, but I definitely wouldn't try to address it or work around it. In my worst health states I've been physically unable to nap so I'd say you're not in the worst possible place!

I’m unemployed for the last several months and have been sleeping in the afternoon pretty much every day. In the decade prior while working I would often have a slump in energy in the early afternoon, but just do activities which required less concentration. I often relied on tea or coffee as well, but sometimes I feel they give you a short term gain for long term pain.

I understand what it’s like not to be able to sleep and that is tortuous.

I don't have a slump in energies anymore. But I do have a desire to take a mental break. That's why I take a nap sometimes. I never have trouble getting to sleep later either, unlike the old days when a nap meant insomnia.

I think naps are a good thing. I see animals all taking naps. Anything to lower stress and maintain high cellular energy is a good thing.

I doubt we do well awake 16 or 18 hours a day without a break. Animals don't do that. Why should people. It sounds like a way to die young and live in a serotonin state.

sunraiser

I’m unemployed for the last several months and have been sleeping in the afternoon pretty much every day. In the decade prior while working I would often have a slump in energy in the early afternoon, but just do activities which required less concentration. I often relied on tea or coffee as well, but sometimes I feel they give you a short term gain for long term pain.

I understand what it’s like not to be able to sleep and that is tortuous.

Well I don't see the napping as a bad thing. Let your body do its thing and enjoy the downtime.

Everyone is different but my experience has been strong enough to suggest this - if you're not out of the house in the mornings I'd really really really strongly suggest to get some light in your eyes at dawn every morning.

Circadian rhythm is a huge part of metabolic and immune health, and I also believe it impacts timings of liver detox during sleep.

You want to get light in your eyes as early as possible to get cortisol pumping at the right times for restful sleep and daytime energy and digestion.

Just like a 15 to 30 min walk, depending how you feel.

I think this, and a small degree of blue light moderation are more important than food intake. It's just my experience, though.

If you haven't been doing it since not working it'll feel shitty the first day or two but you'll feel a lot better afterwards!

Perhaps you're in the habit already but it's something people don't consider. Figured it's worth a share - not working can be incredible for recovery but can also hinder if you get circadian health out of whack.

Otterbutt

I napped hardcore after my temporary job of 9 months ended. Every day for like a week and a half. Now that I've got a break from work, I'm not a napper - steady stream of positive energy with little day-to-day stressors = no need for napping. I find that my need for naps is in reaction to stress - either too hard of a workout, too little restful sleep from being wired the night before (going out late and getting that second wind), eating a big meal after a long period of going on empty, eating carbs after only eating protein or fat all day...
Oh yeah. And towards the end of my keto misadventures, I tanked every. day. and napped any opportunity I got.
I think naps now and then are normal and healthy, especially into response to any of the above. But if you asked my advice, I'd limit participating in any of the above.
I think it's about whether you think it's healthy or not (clearly Spain thinks it is!). I hate how naps disrupt my sleep patterns. But if you create a pattern that works for you, then maybe just embrace it?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals