Anyone Look Into This Japanese Scientific Fraud?

J

jb116

I would safely assume their claim of benefits of D, K, B being fraudulent is fraudulent.

OP
W

Waynish

I would safely assume their claim of benefits of D, K, B being fraudulent is fraudulent.

Then this article about a conspiracy to commit fraud is basically even a bigger conspiracy to commit fraud by accusing others of a conspiracy?

J

jb116

Then this article about a conspiracy to commit fraud is basically even a bigger conspiracy to commit fraud by accusing others of a conspiracy?
:p:
Any joking aside, I can't really make any conclusions on the D,K,B aspect precisely because there is clearly something fraudulent going on with sato. The motivation and agenda really needs to be made clear as to why he lied about those other chemicals. Anything else related to his actions because of fraud, lack veracity in either direction by virtue of that. When one part of the fruit is rotten, I don't really know if the other side of it is as well.

Peater Piper

From the article said:
Sato's most important collaborator, however, was Jun Iwamoto. A board member of the Osteoporosis Society of Japan, Iwamoto was a senior lecturer at Keio University in Tokyo—one of the country's most prestigious—until 2017, when his contract wasn't renewed in the wake of the Sato affair. He and Sato collaborated for more than a decade and published more than 130 papers together, including 25 of the 33 clinical trials.

I looked at one of the meta analyses from the article:
Vitamin K and the Prevention of Fractures

Sato's and Iwamoto's names are littered throughout the references. Their work is the primary reason k2 mk4 is seen as beneficial for osteoporosis. Is anyone aware of trials from outside of Japan showing mk4 as beneficial?

Also, my mom did not benefit from high doses of mk4 (administered by me), D3, and calcium. Her doctors eventually settled on an injectible bisphosphonate (Reclast), which Sato also had a hand in. **** Sato and Iwamoto if they knowingly led people toward unproven treatments.

raypeatclips

Very interesting. There are thousands of vitamin D studies as well as a lot of B vitamin studies, the vitamin K issue however I think should be looked at again. J Iwamoto is the study creator behind the "45mg a day" figure that is often repeated, and was a close collaborator of Sato.

"Sato's most important collaborator, however, was Jun Iwamoto. A board member of the Osteoporosis Society of Japan, Iwamoto was a senior lecturer at Keio University in Tokyo—one of the country's most prestigious—until 2017, when his contract wasn't renewed in the wake of the Sato affair. He and Sato collaborated for more than a decade and published more than 130 papers together, including 25 of the 33 clinical trials."

zewe

Evidently fraud in research is nothing new. This article questions why it happens:

AUG. 6 2014 11:17 AM
Why Do Scientists Commit Fraud?
The latest stem cell research misconduct investigation ends in tragedy.
By Jane C. Hu

SNIP:
Overall, academic fraud is rare, which makes it all the more shocking when a major case is uncovered. To the public, it may seem mind-boggling that scientists would go to such lengths to deceive. In an ideal world, scientists work together to make incremental discoveries that add to the body of knowledge in a field and are recognized for quality work. In reality, the world of science can be cutthroat and isolating, with little oversight. Stem cell research is certainly not the only research field with a fraud problem, but it has all the right elements to motivate dishonesty: It’s a cutting-edge field with the potential to discover treatments for human diseases; it attracts highly competitive people who are all scrambling to make the next big discovery; and that discovery must be made, written, and published before any competitors can catch up.

Add to that an academic culture that places ever-rising pressure on researchers to churn out publications in order to land jobs or tenure—especially publications in high-impact journals likeNature and Science—and you begin to see whyresearchers resort to cutting corners or massaging their data. Earlier this year, Nobel Prize winner Randy Schekman spoke out against publishing in prestigious journals, saying that they contributed to unhealthy research practices, and advised people to boycott them.Barring acceptance at a major journal, academics must still publishsomewhere, and this pressure has created a market for yet another type of academic fraud: fake journals.

In a study of research misconduct, researchers found that big life events can also lead scientists to the temptation of cheating. People found guilty of fraud reported that they felt that changes in their personal lives—the death of a loved one, family expectations, a new baby—contributed to their dishonesty. The results were self-reported, so it’s unclear how much of a cause-and-effect relationship these events really had in fraudsters’ decisions to cheat, but it gives us a glimpse into how fatigue and stress can play into academic misconduct.

Source:
Why Is There So Much Fraud in Stem Cell Research?

Jon

@Waynish this is pretty disheartening. Guess ol ray just suggesting kale had its reasons lol.

aguilaroja

They're claiming that the benefits measured for vitamin D, K, and some B vitamins were fraudulent....

The data about the apparent fraud related to Yoshihiro Sato has been out there for two years and more. The Science mag article recounts some of the drama.

As @Waynish notes, since K2 research remains fairly small, Sato’s K2 data has skewed it. However, there are substantial independent sources and metabolic rationale. Menaquinone remains a bio-identical item, so its use follows innate pathways. The independent evidence favoring other “natural” elements Sato researched, including Vitamin D and sunlight, is large.

You can look at the Bolland review of flaws in 33 randomized controlled trials(RCT’s) by Sato here:
http://n.neurology.org/content/neurology/early/2016/11/09/WNL.0000000000003387.full.pdf

These aren’t Sato’s only papers, but RCT’s are often viewed as strong evidence. More studies involve pharmaceuticals than vitamins. Eighteen studies included Bisphosphonates (Alendronate, Eitdronate, Residronate) . Five of the studies involved Alfacalcidol, a pharmaceutical Vitamin D “analogue”. Two included vitamin B12.

Bisphosphonates alone account for tens of billions of euros/dollars of global yearly sales. The Bolland review suggests Sato’s treatment results for Bisphosphonates showed too much benefit compared with meta-analysis of other trials. While there are cautions about Bisphosphonate side effects, I have seen no adjustment of prescribing practice for Bisphosphonates use based on the revised opinion due to Sato bad data. Maybe it is out there.

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut I'm curious if you have seen this.

If you look at the Kuinone thread, most of the studies with it referenced there were NOT by Sato. Aguilaroja was kind enough to alert me to one study by him and I removed it, but the rest do not involved him and were done in many countries around the world. The role of vitamin K in osteocalcin is well-known, and proven beyound doubt. Vitamin K is currently in final stages of trials for treating liver cancer and that data is pretty solid too. It is unfortunate that Sato was involved in the early MK-4 trials, but thankfully he is not the single authority on the subject and findings of MK-4 benefit have been independently replicated by other people around the world.

dreamcatcher

I looked at one of the meta analyses from the article:
Vitamin K and the Prevention of Fractures

Sato's and Iwamoto's names are littered throughout the references. Their work is the primary reason k2 mk4 is seen as beneficial for osteoporosis. Is anyone aware of trials from outside of Japan showing mk4 as beneficial?

Also, my mom did not benefit from high doses of mk4 (administered by me), D3, and calcium. Her doctors eventually settled on an injectible bisphosphonate (Reclast), which Sato also had a hand in. **** Sato and Iwamoto if they knowingly led people toward unproven treatments.
I happened to have arthritic pain in two of my fingers for many months. A week ago I started to take K2 (Health Natura) and the pain is gone from my fingers.

Jon

If you look at the Kuinone thread, most of the studies with it referenced there were NOT by Sato. Aguilaroja was kind enough to alert me to one study by him and I removed it, but the rest do not involved him and were done in many countries around the world. The role of vitamin K in osteocalcin is well-known, and proven beyound doubt. Vitamin K is currently in final stages of trials for treating liver cancer and that data is pretty solid too. It is unfortunate that Sato was involved in the early MK-4 trials, but thankfully he is not the single authority on the subject and findings of MK-4 benefit have been independently replicated by other people around the world.

Thanks man, you eased my mind! Was worried I was wasting money on k2.