Anyone Know If Probiotics Are Safe When Dealing With Serotonin Syndrome?

Jerimy Brown

Because of this introduction of sugar into my diet to deal with this serotonin syndrome, I feel like my sinuses are getting a bit gummy, like they have in the past, when I've had a yeast infection, but since I am on the mend, the last thing I want to do is add some kind of irritant to my situation, and I can't seem to find any information on weather probiotics could effect serotonin in any way... If I can't find someone knowledgable about this, I will error on the side of caution and not introduce anything new to my diet.

Thanks so much.

paymanz

From what peat says some of them may be helpful, he has mentioned some of them , if you search the forum you can find them.

But in general he recommends to keep intestines as clean as possible, as you probably know it.

OP
Jerimy Brown

Jerimy Brown

From what peat says some of them may be helpful, he has mentioned some of them , if you search the forum you can find them.

But in general he recommends to keep intestines as clean as possible, as you probably know it.

Thanks so much, I will do a bit more digging, but at this point I kind feel like maybe I should just focus on the important issue at hand, and since I have that finally heading in the right direction, maybe it's better not to rock the boat ;). Already jamming active charcoal, BCAA, bone broth, gelatin, black tea, and aspirin into my system, with pretty decent effect, so maybe I won't push my luck, but I really appreciate the response, because I want to continue this health education and understand all this at a deeper level, so I am better equipped for future prevention as well.

OP
Jerimy Brown

Jerimy Brown

@Jerimy Brown this seems wise. By not trying to fix it, it might be fun to see if it resolves with your other measures you are doing. I have a sneaky suspicion they will :):

It does, in fact seem to be truly getting better now. I had a major breakthrough tonight, and I will be doing a complete write up on all I have learned, and what is now working for me, to share with this community, in the hopes that it may help someone else get through it too. My mind is suddenly clearing pretty fast, the muscle aches and vibrations I was feeling are basically gone, and I am looking forward to what I hope will be the first great nights sleep I've had in about a week... So glad I found this community and all this info... Also glad I was keeping a journal, because it finally helped me put some pieces together.

Last edited:
D

danishispsychic

this inspires me to chuck my probiotics finally- baby steps. ( they were expensive too - darn )

ddjd

There's a really good one called seeking health probiota Histamine X I think. It definitely reduces both Histamine and Serotonin.

D

danishispsychic

There's a really good one called seeking health probiota Histamine X I think. It definitely reduces both Histamine and Serotonin.
thank you for posting that- im going to give it a try xx

lvysaur

The best probiotic is probably milk, if you're lactose non-digestive.

If you are digestive, then drink it as cold and fast as possible. I'd imagine "seeding" with yogurt first would be even better.

OP
Jerimy Brown

Jerimy Brown

I have found milk to be a nice addition to my current restricted diet, and that's something I was initially afraid of, so thanks for that.

I also found a ginger Kombucha at Sprouts, that's pretty nice, and doesn't seem to have any ill effects.

What a trudge this is turning out to be... I will be much more careful with supplements and lables in the future, I had know idea I could mess myself up this bad, with things I was able to buy over the counter... What a trusting consumer I used to be ;)

The way I see it:
Less Bifido = less health
If you have not been breastfed as a baby, better start now.
You want the best Bifido's from Human mothers milk.
If you run out of Bifido, the little critters with their invaluable enzymes cannot make important molecules your body needs anymore.
if Bifido additions gives you trouble it means its working. Disease should pass, health returns. Else do a coffee enema.

L

lollipop

They shift the ratio to increase the ratio of bacteroidetes:firmicutes
Curious. Looked them up. Interesting. What are the ingredients for their gut product? I could not locate it on their website.

Edit: found it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Various bacterial families–such as firmicutes, bacteroidetes, actinobacteria and proteobacteria–reside in the human intestine.1) The human gut microbiota contains more than 1,000 species and over 7,000 subspecies.4) Gut bacteria are able to produce active metabolites for human organ systems. For example; Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium synthesize gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) from monosodium glutamate.18) Escherichia coli, Bacillus and Saccharomyces produce norepinefrin;
Candida
, Streptococcus, Escherichia and Enterococcus produce serotonin,
and Bacillus and Serratia produce dopamine.19) When rats were given Bifidobacterium infantis orally, increased plasma tryptophan levels were observed.20) Lactobacillus acidophilus increases the expression of cannabinoid receptors in the brainstem.21) Conversely, germ-free (GF) rats had high plasma serotonin levels.22)
The Gut-Brain Axis: The Missing Link in Depression

Streptococcus appears to be the dominant genus in the distal esophagus, duodenum and jejunum[23,24].
...Besides genera from phyla Firmicutes and Bacteroidetes, human colon also harbors primary pathogens, e.g., species such as Campylobacter jejuni, Salmonella enterica, Vibrio cholera and Escherichia coli (E. coli), and Bacteroides fragilis, but with a low abundance (0.1% or less of entire gut microbiome)[6,28].
...While Bacteroides, Bifidobacterium, Streptococcus, Enterobacteriacae, Enterococcus, Clostridium, Lactobacillus and Ruminococcus are the predominant luminal microbial genera (can be identified in stool), only Clostridium, Lactobacillus, Enterococcus and Akkermansia are the predominant mucosa and mucus associated genera (detected in the mucus layer and epithelial crypts of the small intestine)[30].
Role of the normal gut microbiota

So avoid probiotics containing: Streptococcus, Escherichia, Enterococcus and Bifidobacterium infantis
-Clean the gut with the carrot salad protocol or cooked bamboo shoots to reduce these tryptophan and serotonin producing germs.

The results of this study suggest that green tea coencapsulated with B. infantis or B. breve exert a protective effect of bacteria during exposure to gastrointestinal conditions and refrigerated storage. For a health perspective, the results confirm the growing interest probiotic bacteria and the perceived benefit of increasing their numbers in the gastrointestinal tract by microencapsulation.
Green tea increases the survival yield of Bifidobacteria in simulated gastrointestinal environment and during refrigerated conditions

Might want to avoid:
- Green tea, cocoa, kola, banana, pomegranate. Cereals, parsley, thyme, celery and citrus fruits >Enterococcus
- Onions, capers, apples, broccoli, grapes and plums. >Bifidobacterium infantis
- Peach, plums and coffee >E. coli, Bifidobacterium sps

Table 2 -Types of dietary polyphenols present in various foods and the types of microorganisms those are responsible for the degradation.

Last edited: