Anyone Here Not Drinking Caffeine?

sladerunner69

Has anyone noticed skin problems while drinking coffee? I've been having 5 cups a day for the past several weeks and am starting to notice poor complexion, pores, and even lines/wrinkles. I don't have acne but I'm 20 and hoping to postpone wrinkles/fine lines as long as naturally possible. Also, I can't tell if it's coffee or just my strict Peat eating in general that's causing my skin issues.

Peata

Maybe I missed it in the long thread, but has anyone tested whether they have coffee withdrawal since they've boosted their thyroid (either medication, diet or both)?

I know my Grandma is on a thyroid med. She drinks a ton of coffee, black, always has. I even saw her drinking it in bed at night. Anyway, she claims she can go without it if she has to and never has any problems. I just wonder if that's from the thyroid med.

aquaman

Bluebell said:
I drink some tea, and since starting Peat have added some coffee.

I'm interested if there is anyone here who finds they feel better without caffeine? Anyone who doesn't drink it?

I'm addicted to my one cup of STRONG coffee per day, a European style double espresso with some milk. Even that makes me sleep worse, and I feel worse over the long term for sure. When I managed to stop for a month I felt much more energised and slept better. I think it affects everyone differently. It seems to massively increase my heart rate and drop my body temps, so a stress reaction. My hands get freezing after a cup of coffee, unless it's mid-summer and really warm.

Dutchie

Today i came acros this article. bout the liverdetoxification process a-d the various stages in that process. At one point they mention that people can be sensitive to caffeine if one of the stages is not detoxing.
Apparently glycine,taurine and glutamine are very important amino acids for detoxification and ofcourse enough protein.
Im lately wondering if the liver not being able to detox is what causes low thyroid/metabolism/energy.

tuberose.com/Liver_Detoxification.html

sladerunner69

I bumped up my coffee intake recently to >10 cups, trying to use it in place of thyroid/cytomel, as Peat recommends. Cognition is generally stronger, but I've completely lost my sex drive, or what little of it I've been able to recover after having taken Propecia a couple years back. I've sort of hypothesized that it's because caffeine supposedly elevates progesterone, or has a progesterone-like effects. Too much prog I think would oppose testosterone and probably DHT. If I take anything that inhibits DHT or 5 alpha-reductase, such as coconut oil, I feel the effects almost immediately in the form of loss of sex drive/emotion and depression. Obviously, I'm sensitive because of the damage propecia has caused, but I still think the potential androgen-opposing effects of coffee at higher doses are worth noting.

Shesjay

I will be quitting coffee now! Or try decaf. I (kind of accidentally) had something like 5 C coffee yesterday... I hadn't had coffee in a while and well, really missed it. I noticed that in the afternoon I was really anxious, hands and feet were cold, had weird nerve sensations, heart was racing, I was in a good mood and talked a lot yet was really irritable. Nothing helped that usually does with adrenalin (food/bath/progest-e). I've just spent ages moving my bodyclock to 9:00pm-6:30am, and last night I couldn't get to sleep until 3... Now that I think about it, all the times that I've struggled with sleep I was drinking coffee - even just 1 cup in the morning. Guess it takes a larger dose sometimes to really notice the consequences.

Rolan

Peata said:
Maybe I missed it in the long thread, but has anyone tested whether they have coffee withdrawal since they've boosted their thyroid (either medication, diet or both)?

I know my Grandma is on a thyroid med. She drinks a ton of coffee, black, always has. I even saw her drinking it in bed at night. Anyway, she claims she can go without it if she has to and never has any problems. I just wonder if that's from the thyroid med.

For what it's worth;

Drink coffee like a fiend. I'd drink it all day if I could afford it. I also consider my thyroid to working pretty damn well despite one or two issues here and there. Never taken a med in my life.

Last week i went two days without coffee and barely noticed. But probably best getting a reference from someone who has come from a more severe health background than me.

Nick Ireland

Just wanted to add my experience to this thread.
i find caffeine easier to take than coffee ` something in the coffee gives me a headache, perhaps something i can't tolerate due to lower thyroid state.
For two days i took 50mg caffeine every 3 hours as Pro Plus. This was on a regular Peat diet with Progesterone and Pregnenolone. I felt very happy, almost excited, and wanted to be a lot more sociable. I had to increase my calories to avoid stress hormone surges. The energy increase was substantial. Could not sleep too well, though, felt quite wired. When I stopped after 48 hrs I got a major AM comedown. I felt a tingling and puffiness in my nipple area - pre gyno, which i know well. The real tell was when i looked at the plans of my hands. They were yellow with stored carotene. I took beta carotene 30,000Iu per day for 20 years thanks to crap health gurus on the web etc.
This is what I think happened, and may be happening for others:
Caffeine is as much a liver cleanser as it is a thyroid support and is confirmed as such in many studies.
The caffeine forced my liver to dump large amounts of carotene which my metabolism could not clear.
The metabolic effect of the caffeine was unable to keep up with it"s liver cleansing effects.
The released carotene and pufa slowed the thyroid, allowing oestrogen to accumulate (converted from pregnenolone induced testosterone), especially at night.

So, do I quit caffeine OR double it up to have enough to clear whatever the liver is dumping?
Using methyl B12 I can clear the tissue carotene backlog fairly quickly.
Looking back through other people's notes, it seems clear that caffeine is making up for low thyroid and perhaps should not be taken, (or taken in higher doses?) until thyroid efficiency is restored. If so, is something like Thyroid S a better bet? I've read quite a few reports where desiccated was used to indirectly correct a thyroid issue by clearing the metabolic backlog which was holding back restoration. Then it was no longer needed.
Over the years, Peat has been a proper biology daredevil - putting his money where his mouth is and taking the substances he recommends at levels previously considered unsafe e.g. caffeine, progesterone, coconut oil. There aren't too many physicians out there like that, and for that dedication I am full of admiration for the man.

Greg says

Nick Ireland said:
I felt a tingling and puffiness in my nipple area - pre gyno, which i know well.

what is that? i have felt a sharp, itchy sensation in my nipple area many times throughout my life?

tara

Greg says said:
Nick Ireland said:
I felt a tingling and puffiness in my nipple area - pre gyno, which i know well.

what is that? i have felt a sharp, itchy sensation in my nipple area many times throughout my life?
I've had sharp and itchy. Resolved quick and easy by rinsing with a little dilute vinegar. So probably fungal.
Not puffy, though, so that's probably different.

Nick Ireland

The puffiness and tingling are, for me, pre gyno symptoms. Gynocomastia, or female breast development in males. There are two types - estrogen induced and prolactin induced, each with slightly different characteristics. The puffiness is water retention in that area where there are many more receptors for both the above hormones. Hormone induced fibrous fat can accumulate, leading to breast development. The nipple will enlarge and some dudes have actually been known to lactate. Some say the fibrous fatty tissue is irreversible and opt for surgery. But if you look at Peat's notes, this is the same kind of collagenous activity which is hardening skin, organs and blood vessels. With the right doses of progesterone, it should reverse in my opinion. I read of one guy on here completely abolishing his painful varicose veins with 100mg per day of progesterone - they uncurled then shrank back to their original size. If folks have gyno and normal progesterone levels, to me that means there is no enough Prog to counter the feminising hormones.
A back logged liver could contain big quantities of uncleared estrogen. Once that starts clearing then I think it's possible the metabolism will have to really ramp up to get rid of it. Peat talks about incremental T3 dose increases once a body responds to treatment - just to keep ahead of the curve. I should be noting pulse and temps to determine caffeine effects. I will know next time!
:): It's sort of a 'sow the wind, reap the whirlwind' effect with metabolic correction, get ready for the pipes to clear!

HealingBoy

I try to avoid as much. Even though I take my coffee with theanine and a kilogram of sugar, I still feel agitated and anxious from it. My thoughts radically change, they're more aggressive and violent. I can feel it in Coke. I once got in adrenaline mode because of a coffee flavoured pastry. Tea is ok.

MarcelZD

I try to avoid as much. Even though I take my coffee with theanine and a kilogram of sugar, I still feel agitated and anxious from it. My thoughts radically change, they're more aggressive and violent. I can feel it in Coke. I once got in adrenaline mode because of a coffee flavoured pastry. Tea is ok.

It might not be the caffeine, then. Many types of coffee irritate my gut pretty badly.

M

member 2106

Yes, I get the adrenaline surge too, despite drinking it with food, sugar, etc. Very frustrating, because I love the stuff and I want to enjoy its supposed benefits - but I can't find a way.