Anyone Here Not Drinking Caffeine?

J

j.

Bluebell said:
I agree and I do believe there is something else going on here with those of us that get ill when removing caffeine. It feels like a nasty flu in terms of aches & malaise.

With that argument, vitamin A would be bad, because when you remove vitamin A, you feel ill as well and die.

You need something more rigorous. Do a perfect diet, or as much as it can be without coffee, for 6 months, then add coffee for 6 months, and measure a bunch of parameters of well-being. If you improved, then it means coffee is beneficial. Otherwise, it means is more like cocaine than vitamin A.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

j. said:
Bluebell said:
I agree and I do believe there is something else going on here with those of us that get ill when removing caffeine. It feels like a nasty flu in terms of aches & malaise.

With that argument, vitamin A would be bad, because when you remove vitamin A, you feel ill as well and die.

You need something more rigorous. Do a perfect diet, or as much as it can be without coffee, for 6 months, then add coffee for 6 months, and measure a bunch of parameters of well-being. If you improved, then it means coffee is beneficial. Otherwise, it means is more like cocaine than vitamin A.

The difference is that before having caffeine, I am fine and continue to be fine. Then I have it for a while. Then when I stop having it, I get aches/malaise for a few days. Then I am fine again. That's very different to removing vitamin A.

J

j.

Bluebell said:
The difference is that before having caffeine, I am fine and continue to be fine. Then I have it for a while. Then when I stop having it, I get aches/malaise for a few days. Then I am fine again.

If you truly don't get any benefits when you consume coffee, then it seems there is no reason to consume it.

Mittir

Bluebell: The difference is that before having caffeine, I am fine and continue to be fine. Then I have it for a while. Then when I stop having it, I get aches/malaise for a few days. Then I am fine again. That's very different to removing vitamin A.

I have been a big coffee drinker for a long time. I used to get so called "caffeine withdrawl" if i missed
my morning coffee. Not an extreme reaction, just the lack of energy and craving for coffee and mild
head ache. Now i drink a huge amount of caffeine and if i don't drink coffee for 2-3 days i don't feel any
physical reaction. I believe dependence of caffeine happens when it is used to compensate for
lack of nutrition.

I do feel intense craving for my weekly liver. I do not like the taste or look of liver
but i miss it. I am more inclined to believe these addictive cravings are result of nutritional deficiency.

J

j.

I think another possibility of the cause of caffeine withdrawal is low thyroid function, as coffee according to RP has similar effects to thyroid.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Mittir said:
Bluebell: The difference is that before having caffeine, I am fine and continue to be fine. Then I have it for a while. Then when I stop having it, I get aches/malaise for a few days. Then I am fine again. That's very different to removing vitamin A.

I have been a big coffee drinker for a long time. I used to get so called "caffeine withdrawl" if i missed
my morning coffee. Not an extreme reaction, just the lack of energy and craving for coffee and mild
head ache. Now i drink a huge amount of caffeine and if i don't drink coffee for 2-3 days i don't feel any
physical reaction. I believe dependence of caffeine happens when it is used to compensate for
lack of nutrition.

I do feel intense craving for my weekly liver. I do not like the taste or look of liver
but i miss it. I am more inclined to believe these addictive cravings are result of nutritional deficiency.

j. said:
I think another possibility of the cause of caffeine withdrawal is low thyroid function, as coffee according to RP has similar effects to thyroid.

Yep, definitely agree, Mittir and j. Mittir, that's really interesting you can now stop and start, but before you got withdrawal. That's exactly the kind of experience I was hoping to hear, as it backs up what I was thinking.

I also think it could well be that in the more unhealthy state, & hypothyroid state, I was getting the caffeine withdrawal symptoms.

Now I'm Peating and my thyroid's good I'm excited to try this out again and see if the withdrawal symptoms come the same or not. I suspect it'll be better but we'll see. I am not 100% there yet with health though, have lots PUFAs stored and still have some symptoms, so it's early days and I won't draw definite conclusions from the results.

Oh, I do get benefits of caffeine while I drink it - love my coffee & tea! ;)

By the way, it's a bit personal, but does anyone have their pee smell of coffee after drinking coffee? Mine used to when I was more unhealthy, but now I don't really notice it as far as I can remember and am healthier. Wondering if it's something to do with liver processing.

J

j.

Bluebell said:
By the way, it's a bit personal, but does anyone have their pee smell of coffee after drinking coffee? Mine used to when I was more unhealthy, but now I don't really notice it as far as I can remember and am healthier. Wondering if it's something to do with liver processing.

This reminds me of RP saying that when he first consumed coconut oil, he smelled like a goat. I wonder if that was the result of waste from processes by which coconut oil was fixing things internally.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ray Peat:

Insomnia & Hyperactivity April 1994

Attachments

• coffee.JPG
    coffee.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 843

juanitacarlos

j. said:

Yay! Now we are getting somewhere. This is something I will put to Peat. I personally am on a fairly high dose of NDT - 5 grains - but still feel hypothyroid and have outward signs - outer third of eyebrow thinning, dry, scaly skin on outside of calf - stuff like that.

It's strange though. A few months ago I went camping and totally forgot my thyroid meds and didn't have any for almost 3 days and didn't get any negative symptoms except for starting to get a bit more tired. Yet that amount of time without coffee and I'm taking time off work. I just don't get it.

juanitacarlos

j. said:
Bluebell said:

This reminds me of RP saying that when he first consumed coconut oil, he smelled like a goat. I wonder if that was the result of waste from processes by which coconut oil was fixing things internally.

Funny you say that BB...after a coffee my urine smells like.....cereal! It's so weird lol.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

ttramone said:
j. said:
Bluebell said:

Funny you say that BB...after a coffee my urine smells like.....cereal! It's so weird lol.

That's interesting ttramone. I wonder if that's a clue for people who get withdrawal from it. My guess would be that the liver isn't fully breaking down all the components before it passes into the urine. I didn't know if everyone had that effect or if it was just me. I'm definitely getting it much less now though, and I'm healthier now.

I'd like to know if people who can cold-turkey coffee with no issues get this.

mandance

I dont drink much. Usually 1 cup or so a day. When I do though, I load it with gelatin and extra magnesium. I used to drink a lot of green tea.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

mandance said:
I dont drink much. Usually 1 cup or so a day. When I do though, I load it with gelatin and extra magnesium. I used to drink a lot of green tea.

Hi, Mandance! Love your name, makes me think of a man dancing at a disco doing his thing.

Did you stop green tea because of the fluoride?

juanitacarlos

Bluebell said:
That's interesting ttramone. I wonder if that's a clue for people who get withdrawal from it. My guess would be that the liver isn't fully breaking down all the components before it passes into the urine. I didn't know if everyone had that effect or if it was just me. I'm definitely getting it much less now though, and I'm healthier now.

I'd like to know if people who can cold-turkey coffee with no issues get this.

Yeah I am suspecting its liver related too, just because I feel like I have liver issues. I'm guessing of course, but I feel like there could be an issue with storing glycogen in the liver, as I seem to get an adrenaline response several times a day and wake up in early morning with high pulse.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better and healthier! How long have you been working at your health, Peat style?

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

ttramone said:
Yeah I am suspecting its liver related too, just because I feel like I have liver issues. I'm guessing of course, but I feel like there could be an issue with storing glycogen in the liver, as I seem to get an adrenaline response several times a day and wake up in early morning with high pulse.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better and healthier! How long have you been working at your health, Peat style?

Yep, that sounds a bit like me, I suspect I have liver issues but have not actually confirmed it with tests or anything. I am definitely feeling better by trying to keep my glycogen stores up, and avoiding running on adrenalin/cortisol. I want to do all I can for the liver Peat-style, which seems to be thyroid + regular eating and enough sugar, and I'm still looking for anything else I can do for it. Imagine how much better we can feel when the liver's running optimally - hormones level, toxins easily excreted, metabolism humming.

I'm doing quite a lot better, but it's early days, I'm about 3 months into Peat eating now. I feel much better in the day but still working at it for nighttimes. Very glad to be here!

I need to read your old posts, but how are you doing on Peat now, are you getting good benefits still?

mandance

Bluebell said:
mandance said:

Hi, Mandance! Love your name, makes me think of a man dancing at a disco doing his thing.

Did you stop green tea because of the fluoride?

haha thank you! I didnt know green tea had fluoride in it? Or do you just mean tap water in general? I guess I dont have any real reason that I stopped other than being more sensitive to caffeine aka anxiety.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

mandance said:
haha thank you! I didnt know green tea had fluoride in it? Or do you just mean tap water in general? I guess I dont have any real reason that I stopped other than being more sensitive to caffeine aka anxiety.

Yea it's just that the tea plant itself is supposed to take up fluoride from the soil. Don't know how much of an issue it is though.

mandance

haha, what IS safe? Im almost to the point where I dont care anymore about toxins. I think the stress of worrying about what is safe and not safe is worse for my health than just living.

juanitacarlos

Bluebell said:
Yep, that sounds a bit like me, I suspect I have liver issues but have not actually confirmed it with tests or anything. I am definitely feeling better by trying to keep my glycogen stores up, and avoiding running on adrenalin/cortisol. I want to do all I can for the liver Peat-style, which seems to be thyroid + regular eating and enough sugar, and I'm still looking for anything else I can do for it. Imagine how much better we can feel when the liver's running optimally - hormones level, toxins easily excreted, metabolism humming.

I'm doing quite a lot better, but it's early days, I'm about 3 months into Peat eating now. I feel much better in the day but still working at it for nighttimes. Very glad to be here!

I need to read your old posts, but how are you doing on Peat now, are you getting good benefits still?

Oh yes to the getting liver running optimally!

BB are you waking up at certain times in the night? Or really early in the morning? How is your sleep generally?

I'm doing ok. I struggle a fair bit. I feel like I have a lottttttt of healing to do. I'm trying hard to be patient, but I ride a rollercoaster with that. Many things are actually worse:

Period arrives a few days earlier (22-23 days)
Insane PMT mood swings! That's something that has returned after a few years of not having them
Sleep is poor - very light and waking up very early in the morning with high pulse
Moments of rage - generally spitting the dummy like a child. Just having issues with anger.
Scaly skin on legs gotten worse
Hungry a lot (that's not really new though)
Lots of headaches which I never used to have

Things that have improved:
Pain from Plantar fasciitis almost non-existent
Feeling somewhat more energetic - able to do a bit more during the day
Some aches and pains gone
In between the dummy spits, taking more responsibility for myself and being less of a victim
Reflux/heartburn almost completely gone

So right now, I'm under no illusion this will be an easy journey. On top of just eating poorly most of my life, I've had severe trauma, drug and alcohol addiction, and cancer. I consider some of my anger/mental health/menstrual cycle issues I'm going through right now as almost an awakening, if that makes sense? Like the veil has been taken off and I'm hurt, frustrated, pissed off, and just physically messed up. Yet, I have this feeling of faith (and I never use that word) that this is the right path and I won't be giving up. I just need to be patient and listen to my body and myself and respond to whatever my needs are. I'm really interested in trauma release - physical release, not talk therapy to aid in this process. Same with light therapy.

But in a nutshell, I feel pretty bloody good despite the ups and downs.