anyone here eat pork?

Nicholas

ready for some lounge talk. anyone here eat pork? i started eating whey-fed pork and the stuff is delicious. i notice i feel really well whenever i have pork meals. maybe riboflavin.

tara

I got out of the habit when I started Peating. I used to eat it often and enjoy it. Was thinking I might see if I can find some lean pork to try for a change. Some of the pigs around here get fed a lot of leftovers from human food prep, restaurants, etc, so a mixture of grains, veges, fruit, animal products.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:

mt_dreams

I eat low fat cured cuts from time to time.
For some reason, it's the most satiating thing in my diet.
I never eat it in the evening.

schultz

I eat pork tenderloin once in a while. I trim off the fat. 100g is 3.5g of fat and cronometer lists it as 0.5g PUFA but it is probably more like 1g since it is based off older data on pork fat. That same 100g also has 80% thiamine and some other good b vitamins. I'm not worried about the small amount of PUFA. I also eat chicken breast occasionally as it is pretty low fat and my wife likes it.

I was thinking of getting a pig next season and feeding it potatoes, beef liver, sugar and any low-fat waste for fun. I'm guessing I could get the fat down to 2% PUFA, though there would be no way of knowing unless I got it tested. The lard would give me a general idea I suppose.

tara

schultz said:
I eat pork tenderloin once in a while. I trim off the fat. 100g is 3.5g of fat and cronometer lists it as 0.5g PUFA but it is probably more like 1g since it is based off older data on pork fat. That same 100g also has 80% thiamine and some other good b vitamins. I'm not worried about the small amount of PUFA. I also eat chicken breast occasionally as it is pretty low fat and my wife likes it.

I was thinking of getting a pig next season and feeding it potatoes, beef liver, sugar and any low-fat waste for fun. I'm guessing I could get the fat down to 2% PUFA, though there would be no way of knowing unless I got it tested. The lard would give me a general idea I suppose.

If the weather gets cold, you could knit it a woolly jersey, too.

schultz

tara said:
schultz said:

If the weather gets cold, you could knit it a woolly jersey, too.

Haha! That's true, but it might make him too cute and I won't want to eat him anymore. If I end up getting a pig, I'll post a picture of it in a knitted jersey on the forum.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

Charlie said:

well, yes - eating bacon would be something to do minimally - regardless of what the pig eats or doesn't eat. but the biggest overlooked element to pork in Peat circles is *what the pig is fed on*. To me, there seems to be no reason to avoid it if it's eating foods with low PUFA - considering the nutrition. Make pork roasts and remove all the fat - and it's even lower PUFA. Pigs are nutritious just like other animals. Eating corn-fed beef should be lumped into the stereotypical pork woes. If you are eating pork amidst many other forms of saturated fat, you are also balancing out any PUFA you may get.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Nicholas, did you read those links?

mt_dreams

Just loooked over the perfecthealthdiet link for liver cirrhosis, the question in the title asking if religion was right all along was hilarious. From the chart, it looks like if intake is around 100g or less a day there's no real connection to an increase in cirrhosis from pork intake alone.

Out of all 15 or so wild animals we've successfully domesticated (not including ourselves), the pig has had the most questions surrounding it, be it cleanliness, ethical, etc. For anyone housing a loving rational mind, it would be tough to justify eating pork. On the ethical scale it's in-between testing deadly synthetic chemicals on chimps, & hunting dolphins .... So if you're against dolphin kills, theoretically you would also condemn pig kills.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

yes... two of them i had only skimmed before i responded. It's really hard for me to take what they have written to heart not because it may not be true (it's honestly a bit indulgent in thinking they are proving anything and too overly analytical) but because i eat so little of it, it comes from a source i trust, and they aren't fed all kinds of toxic waste. anybody can pull together studies and graphs and statistics to presume some kind of truth - but in the case of the perfecthealthdiet it seems more like they are just trying to write a provocative article. how are pigs considered unclean, mt_dreams? and how is eating pork like killing dolphins? your response perplexes me. : ) it's a food that has consistently given me some aspect of health which i seem to be lacking (and 1 eat it only twice a week).

mt_dreams

Nicholas said:
how are pigs considered unclean, mt_dreams? and how is eating pork like killing dolphins? your response perplexes me. : ) it's a food that has consistently given me some aspect of health which i seem to be lacking (and 1 eat it only twice a week).

regarding being unclean, I was just relaying issues that came up when researching the pros & cons of pork. I'm not sure if it meant unclean with regards to parasite & virus worries, or if it was a religious term regarding their scavenger like mindset (much like how crabs are viewed in the sea).

domestication has taken the word hunting out of the equation, but it's still killing for food. There has been an uproar with regards to dolphins being hunted & killed for fin purposes due to the fact that they have telepathic abilities, as well as other intellectual traits. The pig ranks third in the animal kingdom behind humans & chimps with regards to intellectual capacity. An adult pig has about the intelligence of a 3 year old human. So if we're not testing on chimps or killing dolphins for food due to their potential intellectual capacity, then pigs should fall under this category as well.

This is just mumblings from my devils advocate. As I mentioned in an earlier post, eating pork seems to satisfy me more than any other protein.

schultz

mt_dreams said:
Nicholas said:
how are pigs considered unclean, mt_dreams? and how is eating pork like killing dolphins? your response perplexes me. : ) it's a food that has consistently given me some aspect of health which i seem to be lacking (and 1 eat it only twice a week).

regarding being unclean, I was just relaying issues that came up when researching the pros & cons of pork. I'm not sure if it meant unclean with regards to parasite & virus worries, or if it was a religious term regarding their scavenger like mindset (much like how crabs are viewed in the sea).

domestication has taken the word hunting out of the equation, but it's still killing for food. There has been an uproar with regards to dolphins being hunted & killed for fin purposes due to the fact that they have telepathic abilities, as well as other intellectual traits. The pig ranks third in the animal kingdom behind humans & chimps with regards to intellectual capacity. An adult pig has about the intelligence of a 3 year old human. So if we're not testing on chimps or killing dolphins for food due to their potential intellectual capacity, then pigs should fall under this category as well.

This is just mumblings from my devils advocate. As I mentioned in an earlier post, eating pork seems to satisfy me more than any other protein.

Regarding pork being unclean: I always thought of the issue being trichinosis, which apparently comes from them eating other pigs or rat carcasses... :shock:

I find the moral issue surrounding the consumption of animals interesting. I sympathize with both points of view.

Someone who refuses to not eat meat can make a few choices:
1. They can eat regular store bought meat and not think about it too much. Being ignorant is easy (I do it all the time)
2. They can buy from farms that raise animals more "ethically".
3. They can raise their own animals and send them off to be slaughtered
4. They can raise their own animals and slaughter them personally.

Number 4 is the hardest, but if you're going to eat an animal then to me it seems like the most "ethical". Part of me thinks that if you're not able to kill an animal to eat it then maybe you shouldn't be eating meat.

To be fair I have never killed an animal for the sake of eating it (other than a fish). I have animals - currently goats and chickens - and they are more valuable as egg and milk animals. However, one of our goats just had 2 kids, 1 male and 1 female (the female died of pneumonia :( ). I already own a buck so I don't really need two. I'm left with a decision: sell it, keep it or eat it.

The flip-side is that animals are actually quite cruel to each other. Also, the kid goat I mentioned is really cute and hilarious with his antics but he also tries to hump his mom and he is constantly head-butting another pregnant doe I have, and when that happens I think, "Maybe I'll eat him..."

pboy

for me about 5 years ago it was that simple of a thing...I realized I could never purposefully even hurt an animal, like..if it was aggressing on me that's one thing, or I might nudge a mosquito out of the way or ant crawling on me or something, but I still don't like have killing intent. It was...one huge part of what changed me years ago. I was in a really touched place in my life...heart was open, and even before that I just did it out of habit, eating meat on occasion but not really much on purpose. As soon as I realized like wtf am I doing, it was easy to stop...im a bit different than most people in the sense I know there is a way, an answer...many people eat meat again and think the lack of it is why they are having a hard time with whatever it is, but even though of course I had major tribulations..i was like...really though, killing an animal is the answer? no way...and now its way out. Its kind of even scary to me now to think that people have it within them to slaughter animals, I know most people wouldn't eat meat if they had to do it themselves, maybe 20% still would but that's it..a lot might still eat fish and seafood though, that's way different...cold blooded animals that aren't mammals have way different vibe than actual warm blooded mammals or birds even. No I don't eat pork (pig) its funny how the language candy coats what it is, beef, pork, veal, ect...tho not for lamb, lol. I dunno man, it really seems crazy, but I know you're just talking about the nutrition aspects of it so ill step out

Daniil

I eat. In my understanding, beef is not meat for every day (a lot of methionine, cysteine, iron). But it's not shameful for me to eat pork every day. Therefore, if you do not eat beans and dairy products, you will have to eat pork. And I too find it more nutritious. As for the connection between pork and cirrhosis of the liver, maybe it's arachidonic acid or something else in fat? Fat-free chunks may be ok.

Daniil

It is also interesting that they eat pork in Okinawa. And the Chinese are doing it too. In general, if you look around the world, the most advanced civilizations (Europeans, Chinese, Japanese) ate pork. And the least developed (Middle Eastern, African, Eskimo, etc.) did not eat. Just my thoughts on the topic.

Tiffany

I have a strange thing to add here. I ordered ready-to-eat ribs not knowing what kind of ribs they would be. They turned out to be pork-something I rarelyh eat. It didn't matter to me, I needed some warm protein to satiate my belly. In the past week, every time I begin to eat as I continue to eat, and for about 30 min afterward, I would get "bronchitis spasms" (uncontrollable coughing that doesn't come from a tickle in my throat but from deep in the chest). I don't think I coughed at all while eating the pork or for 15 minutes afterward. If I did, it wasn't a "coughing fit" like every other food seems to trigger. It gets to where I'm afraid to eat because I'm afraid to choke when I cough but I had none of that with the pork. Since I was not reacting and haven't been able to fill my belly in several days due to fear of choking, I pigged out. I probably had 8oz. I pinched off obvious fat. Some of the meat was "moist" (greasy) while a lot of it was dry so I don't worry that I got too much Pufa. It seems to have helped with inflammation and digestion. Perhaps I needed something in the pork.

Runenight201

I’ve really been enjoying pork shoulder. In the oven for 30 minutes at 425 and then salted to taste.

If the pig is pasture raised and fed a good diet, is there really a reason why not to eat over the cow?

I’m not gonna lie…I enjoy the taste of pig more than cow 🤷🏽‍♂️

Pork also has more thiamine than any other food source, so there’s another pro for the pig there…

Apple

I’ve really been enjoying pork shoulder. In the oven for 30 minutes at 425 and then salted to taste.

If the pig is pasture raised and fed a good diet, is there really a reason why not to eat over the cow?

I’m not gonna lie…I enjoy the taste of pig more than cow 🤷🏽‍♂️

Pork also has more thiamine than any other food source, so there’s another pro for the pig there…
Also pork is the richest sourse of k2 vitamin out there.
I would like to hear more positive comments about eating pork in Ray Peat community.
Why everyone says pork is proinflamatory, all disadavantages of pork should be outweighed by high thiamine and k2.