Anyone Have Success Stopping A Migraine In Progress?

Xisca

Good that it works for you, and maybe it would work for some others, depending on how their imbalances sit. I've tried this. Buteyko breathing worsens rather than mitigates migraine during prodrome for me so far.
Maybe if I could very gradually build up my CP when not in migraine process it would help.
May be not. The problem is to advocate only ONE method for breathing, and not the reverse too, with a way to choose between the two. Increasing CO2 is NOT the way for everybody, though Buteyko seems to say so. When you increase CP, you increase CO2 in blood, and if you also have fungi whose metabolism produces CO2 too, then you can have too much, and even with only Buteyko, you can have too much, that is why focal infections come out when you reach a certain higher CP....

As long as you do not know if you are in respiratory alkalosis or acidosis, and a compensation with bicarb retained by kidneys, impossible to go ahead and change health!

If you increase CO2, you increase acidity, and if the body does not agree, it will have to retain bicarb or compensate with some metabolic alkalinity! Te counterpart of buteyko is Wim Hof. If you have too much CO2 in your blood, then wim hof is better than buteyko. Context is all, but we lack ways to know our context....

tara

If you increase CO2, you increase acidity, and if the body does not agree, it will have to retain bicarb or compensate with some metabolic alkalinity! Te counterpart of buteyko is Wim Hof. If you have too much CO2 in your blood, then wim hof is better than buteyko.
I can tell that more extreme hyperventilation is not good either, and that I can more easily avoid it if I pay attention to keeping up the alkaline mineral intake, and keep my mouth shut at night, and get some exercise with controlled breathing from time to time when I am not in migraine process.
Context is all, but we lack ways to know our context....
Indeed. :)
Thanks for replies! He was too sick from the headache to hold anything down but a drink of coffee. He slept most of the day. Woke up, able to eat gradually and have coffee, and then was fine by evening.
There are so many different things that help or hinder different people when it comes to migraine, but getting enough magnesium is one that factor that seems to make a difference for some, and I've even heard of it interrupting migraine in prodrome for some.

Xisca

I can tell that more extreme hyperventilation is not good either
I am going to learn holotropic breathing with sb, and she told me that it was NOT extreme hyperventilation... Or not only. But having some exercise with larger breathing is for me good for example. And the buteyko type is ok for me when I NEED to increase co2, but not for increasing the cp. I do not like the reduced breathing, it stresses the diaphragm for me, so I changed it to larger and longer breathing + expiratory apnea, like taking the cp.

tara

I am going to learn holotropic breathing with sb, and she told me that it was NOT extreme hyperventilation... Or not only. But having some exercise with larger breathing is for me good for example. And the buteyko type is ok for me when I NEED to increase co2, but not for increasing the cp. I do not like the reduced breathing, it stresses the diaphragm for me, so I changed it to larger and longer breathing + expiratory apnea, like taking the cp.
I quite like some of the little I know of pranayama. Slow and full, uses the whole lungs. I think deep breathing does not need to increase air exchange rate if the pauses after inhalation and exhalation are long enough. It works better for me than the low volume Buteyko style sometimes.

Xisca

In an interview, Ray said that when he felt a migraine coming on, he could stop it by quickly eating a quart of (vanilla?) ice cream.
Vanilla or ice cream is not important!
COLD IS.
The blood vessels in the mouth constrict, and thus the vessels in the head expand.
The trigeminal nerve also can become overstimulated by cold and this I don't know where it leads, as very cold in mouth is painful for me, same with cold wind on my ears.
Good that it works for you, and maybe it would work for some others
I know you think you cannot get rid of your migraines, but as I told you, go the route of checking your postural muscles on both beginnings of muscuar chains, to know which side is doing the domino effect. We have a side according to our 1st painful accident in life. Then this has to be shunted at the nerve / muscle interface. Or else the reflex will make them contract again. The side of the migraine gives you the most contracted side. Then all else that trigger headache is just this: a trigger. If the jugular foramen is not wide enough or reduced on one side, then there is no resilience to stand occasional traffic jam there!
Slow and full, uses the whole lungs.
That is what I prefer, and with consciouness and chosing the right dosage. And according to the result we want, we might need slow breathing or fast breathing! 1 to get up and 1 to go to sleep can be wise too....

alywest

Whatever you do never eat carrageenan! I thought it was just one of those things that isn't good for you but I was doing so well and then I ate 2 BITES of cottage cheese containing carrageenan and wham! Migraine! I finally felt better when I had some activated charcoal and also some apple cider vinegar. I believe that estrogen actually influences us to do stupid things like eat carrageenan.

tomisonbottom

I posted this somewhere else, but for future reference, 100-200mg caffeine has stopped mine in the middle of getting really bad.

MUD

My apologies if someone has already said this, but medical grade oxygen at a very high flow rate is an excellent cure for migraines. Absolutely the best bet outside of triptans - often better, in fact.

It isn't super easy to get, though, and it may be a tad expensive unless you shop around home medical/home oxygen companies for the best price. So TL;DR: unless you deal with migraines often, or you don't mind paying a bit of a price for on-hand relief, this might not be for you. But besides Rx triptans and the slight help of ibuprofen / caffeine combo, oxygen is definitely a GREAT way to go.

You'll typically need a prescription, for O2 at somewhere around 10-15 liters/minute, delivered via what's called a non-rebreather mask. This last part is VERY important to have, otherwise O2 at such a high flow rate will most definitely kill you very dead in a hurry. It can be hard to find a prescriber to write this Rx as often they just don't know enough about it to be willing to prescribe it as a therapy. So that's often the first hurdle.

Next, you'll have to get this O2 from a tank -- an oxygen concentrator or liquid O2 tank won't be able to deliver flows high enough for migraine relief. Many home O2 companies will rent you what you need, but even better might be to find one that will sell you a tank, and refill it for you as needed. Weigh the price options based on your needs.

Once you got all this stuff, a treatment will send your migraine packing in around 15 minutes. It's crazy how well it works.

Another TL; DR: high flow oxygen works best but it's hard to get so pick yer poison.

ejalrp

I have ameliorated them with a bunch of dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao) taken as soon as I noticed the "aura". As a milk chocolate fan, I don't find wolfing down dark chocolate to be pleasant, but others might. In any case, I can't say it's a total cure but it definitely helps. I've heard that it's the magnesium in the chocolate but I've also tried magnesium citrate with less success so I suspect there's more to the chocolate.

tara

I have ameliorated them with a bunch of dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao) taken as soon as I noticed the "aura". As a milk chocolate fan, I don't find wolfing down dark chocolate to be pleasant, but others might. In any case, I can't say it's a total cure but it definitely helps. I've heard that it's the magnesium in the chocolate but I've also tried magnesium citrate with less success so I suspect there's more to the chocolate.
Funny. How much is a bunch?

I've had cravings for dark chocolate during aura. Sometimes have eaten some, bu geenerally haven't indulged in lots at that time. Can't tell for sure if it's helped a little, or if it's contribted to the problem. My suspicion is that I get more trouble from chocolate withdrawal than from the days I've eaten chocolate.
I've had periods of eating dark chocolate every day, and other periods of months without. My experience of eating it often was that I think I got more migraine on the days I didn't eat chocolate - possibly withdrawal? I sometimes crave dark chocolate during aura. But I don't think it ever stopped one. I've been mostly avoiding it for quite a while, suspecting it does more harm than good, but I'm very unsure about this.

I expect it's more than the magnesium. Whether it's the theobromine, other proteins, the high-stearic acid fats, along with magnesium and other minerals, or something else, I don't know.

Unknownuser

Sorry to bump this old thread up. I dont want to create a new one. In 2012 my gut got messed up completely and I developed histamine intolerance. In 2016 I started to get weekly migraines. Histamine leads to migraines. Due to my messed up gut I always thought I have low serotonin. Turns out high serotonine leads to migraines. I think since 2012 I have very low dopamine because histamine and mcas depletes dopamine. So there is a imbalance in the brain that seems to lead to migraines.

Any ideas how to balance the neurotransmitters out again? I tried Tyrosine but gave me hell of a migraines. I tried map8 amino acids wich also gave me headaches I guess. Looks like histamine intolerance and amino acids dont go well together.

I have to take thomapyrin and 2-3 hrs later ibuprofen to get some relief but I hate to take medicine. And it starts to be more often than once a week.

Strange thing is, 2 years ago I had a period of 18 months where I never had any migraine. That was the time I felt emphaty with my self, felt acceptance and self love. Also let all my suppressed anger out by screaming when alone etc. And was able to stop excessive thinking.

Unfortunately my brain took over my life again around March this year and ever since my migraines started again. I developed anhedonia again and cant feel emphaty and self love anymore. I have constant thinking.

Hugh Johnson

Sorry to bump this old thread up. I dont want to create a new one. In 2012 my gut got messed up completely and I developed histamine intolerance. In 2016 I started to get weekly migraines. Histamine leads to migraines. Due to my messed up gut I always thought I have low serotonin. Turns out high serotonine leads to migraines. I think since 2012 I have very low dopamine because histamine and mcas depletes dopamine. So there is a imbalance in the brain that seems to lead to migraines.

Any ideas how to balance the neurotransmitters out again? I tried Tyrosine but gave me hell of a migraines. I tried map8 amino acids wich also gave me headaches I guess. Looks like histamine intolerance and amino acids dont go well together.

I have to take thomapyrin and 2-3 hrs later ibuprofen to get some relief but I hate to take medicine. And it starts to be more often than once a week.

Strange thing is, 2 years ago I had a period of 18 months where I never had any migraine. That was the time I felt emphaty with my self, felt acceptance and self love. Also let all my suppressed anger out by screaming when alone etc. And was able to stop excessive thinking.

Unfortunately my brain took over my life again around March this year and ever since my migraines started again. I developed anhedonia again and cant feel emphaty and self love anymore. I have constant thinking.

Try this. Also try the "I love you" that he teaches

Oleg

Family member had to come home from work early due to headache since he woke up. He took ibuprofen before and at work, but it didn't help. Now in bed. Has anyone found a way to stop these or reduce the severity when it starts?
Usually ibuprofen works for me. Recently I found that about 5 mg of T3 stops it, and if I take another dose a few min later it reduces it to almost zero. I recommend to try and see if it works. Now, I first try T3, and if it doesn’t take care of the headache, then I take ibuprofen. T3 works very fast, if it does.

davvid_1

would be interested to hear everyones potential causes/triggers. i took some liver support pills on the recommendation from a naturopath, and got my most intense migraine of my life. also on 3 occasions i got a migraine after a hike, once from a run. seems like pushing myself physically can be a trigger

P

Peatness

It's very rare for me to get a headache but recently I felt one coming on and took a quarter teaspoon of salt mixed in some water. It worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals