Anyone Have Personal Experience With TUDCA?

yerrag

Thanks. I have become very itchy after only 2 days on 250mg and I can’t imagine what else it could be...

Itchiness and liver health seem to go hand in hand. Something happens there

I came across this piece on albumin: VetFolio

As a transport vehicle for drugs and metabolites, albumin has binding sites for acidic, basic, and neutral substances. Albumin binding and transport of bilirubin, drugs, and long-chain fatty acid anions are clinically important functions in critical care patients.4 In fact, in healthy patients, almost 100% of bilirubin binds to albumin and is carried to the liver for conjugation and excretion.2 As long as it is bound, bilirubin is not toxic. In states of hypoalbuminemia, more bilirubin is free or unbound, which can create bilirubin toxicity. Bilirubin actively competes with many drugs for the same binding site on albumin.4 In states of hyperbilirubinemia, there is the additional threat of toxicosis from excess unbound drug circulating in the body.
I wonder if taking TUDCA is increasing production of bilirubin where there's too much of it for all to be bound by albumin?

I came across this piece on albumin: VetFolio

As a transport vehicle for drugs and metabolites, albumin has binding sites for acidic, basic, and neutral substances. Albumin binding and transport of bilirubin, drugs, and long-chain fatty acid anions are clinically important functions in critical care patients.4 In fact, in healthy patients, almost 100% of bilirubin binds to albumin and is carried to the liver for conjugation and excretion.2 As long as it is bound, bilirubin is not toxic. In states of hypoalbuminemia, more bilirubin is free or unbound, which can create bilirubin toxicity. Bilirubin actively competes with many drugs for the same binding site on albumin.4 In states of hyperbilirubinemia, there is the additional threat of toxicosis from excess unbound drug circulating in the body.
I wonder if taking TUDCA is increasing production of bilirubin where there's too much of it for all to be bound by albumin?

I doubt it but it’s possible. It would imply faster cycling of red blood cells. Don’t see that as probable.

yerrag

I doubt it but it’s possible. It would imply faster cycling of red blood cells. Don’t see that as probable.

That's a good point. Maybe the body just knows to limit its bilirubin production that is just enough for its serum albumin to handle. So taking too much TUDCA could disturb this balance?

Last edited:

yerrag

@ecstatichamster The liver excretes endotoxins through bile. But not all bile is excreted. The ones that are reused, could endotoxins be released back into the system and cause allergic reactions?

@ecstatichamster The liver excretes endotoxins through bile. But not all bile is excreted. The ones that are reused, could endotoxins be released back into the system and cause allergic reactions?

I’m sure it happens constantly this way. Dr. Peat recommends raw carrot salad or mushrooms to adsorb bile. Also, I think this is why activated charcoal works to prolong life in rats and probably people when used judiciously.

I think the biggest thing to get rid of endotoxins is the most obvious. That is to speed up the gut transit time of food.

I found M. Smithii are very helpful to get rid of as they slow down transit time by generating methane probably in the small intestine. Thyroid has helped me a lot, T3, so I have more frequent bowel movements. Drinking a lot of lactose free milk seems to slow gut motility, something that I am working on as I drink a lot of milk.

olive

I’m sure it happens constantly this way. Dr. Peat recommends raw carrot salad or mushrooms to adsorb bile. Also, I think this is why activated charcoal works to prolong life in rats and probably people when used judiciously.

I think the biggest thing to get rid of endotoxins is the most obvious. That is to speed up the gut transit time of food.

I found M. Smithii are very helpful to get rid of as they slow down transit time by generating methane probably in the small intestine. Thyroid has helped me a lot, T3, so I have more frequent bowel movements. Drinking a lot of lactose free milk seems to slow gut motility, something that I am working on as I drink a lot of milk.
Ginger increases gut motility.
Prolactin slows it down. Dairy and gluten increase prolactin via the opioid receptor. Darkness also increases prolactin.

BigChad

Ginger increases gut motility.
Prolactin slows it down. Dairy and gluten increase prolactin via the opioid receptor. Darkness also increases prolactin.

What aspects of dairy. Would whey protein also raise prolactin

aquaman

I thought Ray approves of low fiber diets? How much fiber is needed

In one interview he specifically mentions eating well-cooked starches as being good for bowel health. He was referring to fiber research in Africa that was used in the States in early 1900s to justify “whole grain” consumption for fiber. IIRC he says that the person responsible for the research was shocked to find out it was being used for that purpose when he was specifically referring to a high tubers diet, not grains.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes help bowel transit tone for me.

BigChad

In one interview he specifically mentions eating well-cooked starches as being good for bowel health. He was referring to fiber research in Africa that was used in the States in early 1900s to justify “whole grain” consumption for fiber. IIRC he says that the person responsible for the research was shocked to find out it was being used for that purpose when he was specifically referring to a high tubers diet, not grains.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes help bowel transit tone for me.

How much fiber is needed a day. The rda is like 35g a day

Mauritio

Dr. Peat has stressed on a recent Jodele interview that it's important to have some fiber, mentioning wheat bran for temporary measures, but especially bamboo shoots well-cooked. I'm doing the bamboo shoots and mushrooms well cooked and it is SUPER helpful, way better than anything I've done on a gut level.

Inaut

The only bamboo shoots I can find are canned and from china. I've avoided purchasing due to the latter (no offense to my Chinese counterparts). Where do you get your bamboo shoots @ecstatichamster

I use Chinese ones. But I wash them off and cook them for a long time. I doubt there is much bad about them and there is a lot good about them.