Anyone Had Success With Reversal Of Grey Hair?

Supplementing amino acids in an isolated form, like with L-cysteine is not such a good idea coz of the thyroid inhibiting effects according to RP:

“Muscle protein is very rich in tryptophan and cysteine, and these amino acids suppress the thyroid gland’s function, and are potentially toxic to nerves, especially in the presence of cortisol and hypoglycemia. Tryptophan is turned into serotonin, which promotes lipid peroxidation, blood clotting, and certain patterns of nerve activity. Serotonin can suppress mitochondrial respiration, and along with the reduced body temperature that it produces, a pattern or torpor or helplessness tends to be produced.” -Ray Peat, PhD

“The selection of amino proteins should minimize the amino acids tryptophan (which is the precursor to serotonin) and cysteine (which like tryptophan, suppresses thyroid function), by including gelatin and fruits. Gelatin is 22% glycine, which protects the lungs and other organs against toxins and inflammatory agents, and many fruits are also “deficient” in tryptophan and cysteine.” -Ray Peat, PhD

And given the new findings, it fits the vitamin E story. Apparently in the conditions of excess H2O2, a by product of oxidation, the load becomes toxic and destroys terosinaise, an enzyme producing hair pigment. Catalase and glutathione peroxydase are supposed to neutralise H2O2, but are over burdened, and don’t do their job. Then there’s the “doctor” enzyme that is also over loaded.

In theory the solution should include a) anti oxidants such as E to reduce the H2O2 load, b) consumption of amino acids and co-factors responsible for production of those enzymes. Ray says to add copper for this reason; copper is a co factor of tyrosinase, but so are amino acids, hence importance of adequate protein in the diet.

Selenium, cysteine and glutamine are co factors of glutathione peroxydase. Interestingly, catalase has iron as a co factor. But adding iron isn’t a solution, according to Ray. Hmm I read that in yeast cultures H2O2 challenge boosts catalase levels significantly. Anyone tried adding H2O2 drops? I think this is what H2O2 therapy is all about. They start with a few drops and increase it, hence it’s a challenge.
Instead of vitamin E you could use Centella Asiatica, that recycles systemic vitamin E and has been shown to enhance wound healing and collagen synthesis in skin. Also shows effectiveness against H2O2.

axorr

Absolutely astonishing thread ! congrats to @General Orange for the great info provided, I have to ask you a question, GO, what is your final advice on grey hair reversal , what supplements should one take ?

I`ve noted : copper
cysteine
choline
lechitin
centella asiatica

is this the final list in your opinion ? should I add something else ? thank you, all the best to you glorious man !

TeslaFan

Absolutely astonishing thread ! congrats to @General Orange for the great info provided, I have to ask you a question, GO, what is your final advice on grey hair reversal , what supplements should one take ?

cysteine
choline
lechitin
centella asiatica

is this the final list in your opinion ? should I add something else ? thank you, all the best to you glorious man !

selenium, tyrosine

TeslaFan

cysteine
choline
lechitin
centella asiatica

PABA

Waremu

Best ways to support glutathione:

Get at least 24 mg (2.4 g) of the sulfur amino acids methionine and cystine per day

Get 1-1.2 (no less than 0.5) gram at least of protein per KG of body weight

Get one 0.5-1 grams glycine for every gram of methionine

Plenty of zinc (oysters, raw diary, etc.); I eat zinc with 3-4 of my meals for best absorption

Plenty of the B vitamins (raw dairy, liver, fruit); more carbs require more magnesium and Vitamin B1 especially

Get plenty of folate (fresh fruits including fresh orange juice and pineapple juice are great sources); greens ae good sources but much of it can be washed away via processing; liver is good too

Get plenty of choline 3-4 egg yolk equivalent/500 mcg choline per day (I wont eat that many eggs due to PUFA, but I add one maybe two eggs in and along with raw milk it is more than enough -- raw milk is around 38-42 mcg choline).

A good carb to protein ratio per meal -- best at 2:1 or 3:1 (I prefer 3:1 carb to protein)

Plenty of molybdenum, which is hard to come by, but lentils are one of the highest sources. If you don't eat starches like lentils, make a broth or soup with them and drink the soup, or sprout lentils and juice them with other fruits or greens for taste to get it. Supplement form is also available. Milk has some, but isn't very high in it. Liver has a decent amount.

I also would do best to keep endotoxin low. I prefer fruit over starches, personally.

3-5 grams of pure creatine can also help, if you handle it well. I don't handle it well.

Plenty of magnesium, and a good calcium to phosphorus ratio helps as well.

Plenty of sunlight, and Vitamin A and D and K2 as well.

Also good for grey hair and hair loss in general:

Massaging scalp of head under hot shower water as you shower. to get blood flowing. Also stretching every day for healthy blood flow, etc.

Last edited:

BrianF

My theory on premature greying of hair is that if the person is in a hypothyroid state, then they somehow cannot produce enough of the enzyme catalase that neutralises hydrogen peroxide. Its been shown in studies that a build up of hydrogen peroxide is a key player in the greying of hair. Over my lifetime, Ive noticed that people in the Western world now go grey much earlier than they did in the 1980's, for example. They are also fatter too. They are certainly more hypothyroid, and. think these are all connected.

I think that supplementing catalase may help although there is no proof that catalase if swallowed, will end up anywhere near the hair follicle. I wonder if breaking up a catalase capsule and mixing the powder in with a carrier oil like say castor oil or coconut oil (even olive oil) could result in targeting the hair at the root.

Can anyone tell me what oil would be effective to absorb a powder (like in the link below) into the skin?

https://www.amazon.com/Catalase-500mg-Supplement-Antioxidant-Neutralize/dp/B01MU8OZN4

Goobz

My theory on premature greying of hair is that if the person is in a hypothyroid state, then they somehow cannot produce enough of the enzyme catalase that neutralises hydrogen peroxide. Its been shown in studies that a build up of hydrogen peroxide is a key player in the greying of hair. Over my lifetime, Ive noticed that people in the Western world now go grey much earlier than they did in the 1980's, for example. They are also fatter too. They are certainly more hypothyroid, and. think these are all connected.

I think that supplementing catalase may help although there is no proof that catalase if swallowed, will end up anywhere near the hair follicle. I wonder if breaking up a catalase capsule and mixing the powder in with a carrier oil like say castor oil or coconut oil (even olive oil) could result in targeting the hair at the root.

Can anyone tell me what oil would be effective to absorb a powder (like in the link below) into the skin?

https://www.amazon.com/Catalase-500mg-Supplement-Antioxidant-Neutralize/dp/B01MU8OZN4

Thyroid definitely has a part to play. A friend of mine however had a hyperthyroid condition, with excess heat, energy, tremors, weight loss... and her hair went gray early. So I guess too much thyroid can also be a negative.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thyroid definitely has a part to play. A friend of mine however had a hyperthyroid condition, with excess heat, energy, tremors, weight loss... and her hair went gray early. So I guess too much thyroid can also be a negative.
He prolly burned up all his vitamins, minerals and such.

TheCalciumCad

Mine have come in faster with increased metabolism. Suspect when you increase metabolism you also increase copper demands, but if there's already some iron accumulation you cannot utilise the copper properly so you end up speeding up the greying process.

biggirlkisss

I'm puking them right now. I have a friend aboriginal he smokes a pack a day and is 37 no grey hairs at all

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm puking them right now. I have a friend aboriginal he smokes a pack a day and is 37 no grey hairs at all
My mom smoked 4 packs a day and died at 69 from copd but had very thick hair with zero grays.

Last edited:

boris

Could be that he just was misdiagnosed? Peat talks about this all the time. Someone goes to the endocrinologist with a skinny body, in the docs mind it can ONLY be hyperthyroidism, but it's actually highly unlikely. All his symptoms could be a result of compensatory mechanisms (stress hormones) to hypothyroidism.