Anyone Experiment With High Dose Taurine?

@Gl;itch.e when you are taking higher doses of taurine (like the 12g you mentioned), how do you typically dose it? All at once or something like 4g 3x a day? Do you take it with meals? Thank you.

Gl;itch.e

@Gl;itch.e when you are taking higher doses of taurine (like the 12g you mentioned), how do you typically dose it? All at once or something like 4g 3x a day? Do you take it with meals? Thank you.
With the higher doses I took a teaspoon (about 3g) before meals. I think this also helped with digestion. I actually stopped the higher doses because I wanted to gain weight and could not do so with this much Taurine. Felt like it increased metabolism a lot.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Now I get you! :): I use the NowFoods brand powdered Taurine. Check the link in my signature. This is the one I have used for years with good results. Has become a staple supplement for me.
yeah im totally on the taurine bandwagon now.

Are myprotein or bulkpowders good brands to order the powder from?

I have used Bulkpowder's taurine. Didn't have a problem, but not actually sure how to differentiate ideal taurine qualities from poor taurine qualities based on feeling (the few brands I've had seem similar).

Last edited:
OP
ddjd

ddjd

hey all, ive been doing about 5g taurine a day for about 2 weeks now and getting some muscle ache in my back. im absolutely sure its the taurine. any ideas why?

Has anyone experienced dry mouth when taking higher dose taurine? The loose stools I initially experienced quickly went away and I was able to get to 3grams daily and have noticed benefits such as the darkness under my eyes greatly reducing and chest fat/chest water reducing as well. Nothing has helped those symptoms in years like taurine has. However, recently I have been getting dry mouth, which stops when I stop taking the taurine. I'm wondering if anyone might be able to suggest why that is the case.

I am wondering if it is something to do with choline. I experienced very dry mouth like this when I experimented with cyproheptadine even at a low dose for allergies (1mg). As cyproheptadine and anticholinergics are known for the dry mouth side effect I wonder if it due to something involving taurine's use of choline. My diet might be low in it since I haven't been eating liver regularly and have not had milk in a while, so it'd just come from 2 eggs everyday or so.

I came across this text: "Effect of Taurine on Regulation of GABA and Acetylcholine Biosynthesis"
sci-hub.tw/10.1007/978-1-4615-0077-3_60
In this communication, we present evidence to show that taurine has one additional function, namely, to regulate the biosynthesis of neurotransmitter, e.g., GABA and ACh [acetylcholine],​

Choline is transported into the cell by a transporter protein in the membrane of the presynaptic neuron where it will eventually combine with acetyl CoA to synthesize the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.
Uptake of Choline, a Precursor of Acetylcholine

Any ideas what might be at play and what to try? Thanks.

Last edited:

Gl;itch.e

hey all, ive been doing about 5g taurine a day for about 2 weeks now and getting some muscle ache in my back. im absolutely sure its the taurine. any ideas why?
Where abouts on the back?

Gl;itch.e

I would wager it is unrelated and probably muscular. Generally Taurine is good for nerves so if anything it could potentially be nerve regeneration. But if you are in pain and worried about it I would remove the last things you added and see if it resolves. Initially when you said back pain I was thinking it might be your lower back and may point to the liver going through some changes. How much Taurine are you taking currently?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

I would wager it is unrelated and probably muscular. Generally Taurine is good for nerves so if anything it could potentially be nerve regeneration. But if you are in pain and worried about it I would remove the last things you added and see if it resolves. Initially when you said back pain I was thinking it might be your lower back and may point to the liver going through some changes. How much Taurine are you taking currently?

i posted it in the rp facebook group and someone suggested:

"Could be gallstones (doesn’t have to be the calcified stones-maybe the soft estrogen kind) since taurine helps with bile flow. There’s a chiropractor whom I no longer follow, but he says that 95% of his patients that come in with upper back pain is from gallstones."

"It’s a referred pain. The phrenic nerve starts around the gallbladder area and goes up the right side of the spine to the right side of the neck. If there’s pressure from the gallbladder on that nerve, you’ll feel it in the upper back, sometimes neck and even the right arm and hand.

“Referred pain is pain perceived at a location other than the site of the painful stimulus/ origin. It is the result of a network of interconnecting sensory nerves, that supplies many different tissues.”

The phrenic nerve is a nerve that originates in the neck (C3–C5) and passes down between the lung and heart to reach the diaphragm. It takes its name from the Ancient Greek phren, meaning diaphragm.[1] It is important for breathing, as it passes motor information to the diaphragm and receives sensory information from it. There are two phrenic nerves, a left and a right one.

i wonder if it is this. taurine perhaps increasing my bile output and perhaps theres a blockage in my bile duct, causing gallbladder to get bigger and push against this nerve?

Gl;itch.e

Well if it is serious pain like you would expect from gallstones then don't sit on the internet guessing. Go to a doctor and get it looked at. If it is a nerve thing brought about by the taurine I would expect it to be transitory and passing. How long have you had it? Is the pain getting worse?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Well if it is serious pain like you would expect from gallstones then don't sit on the internet guessing. Go to a doctor and get it looked at. If it is a nerve thing brought about by the taurine I would expect it to be transitory and passing. How long have you had it? Is the pain getting worse?
yeah its not a bad pain at all and it completely does just come and go. its a dull annoying ache, not unbearable at all. im just interested to know what is causing it exactly, im sure the gallbladder is connected

Gl;itch.e

Keep an eye on it, but at the same time don't focus or catastrophize over it. Random pains are par for the course of life! :):

GreekDemiGod

How is Taurine affecting your energy levels?
Am I right in assuming that in someone who is in a mild hypothyroid state, the GABA effect from Taurine may result in feelings of sedation or fatigue? The body not being able to support a higher metabolic state.

And generally, I am thinking if all metabolic boosters really are a good idea when your thyroid function is not strong enough, and maybe caloric demands.

Frankdee20

Try different brand. Half of the taurine on the market is garbage.

I’m going to have to agree with this statement. I have tried Jarrow, Now brand, and Pure Encapsulations. There’s a difference, and I noticed this with other products too