Anyone Ever Sue Their Landlord To Get Back Security Deposit? How'd It Go?

DMF

I'm starting the process, and it's much more daunting, complicated than I thought. No big $$money here, so I have to represent myself > "Pro-Se".

pauljacob

No tenant ever gets a full refund of security deposit. Depending on the condition of the apartment after you vacate, you may get a partial refund. I live a 300 unit complex, and I've seen the horrible condition and the extensive damage inside recently vacated apartments, the tenant won't get his security deposit back. Instead he will be sued for damages to the unit.

tankasnowgod

No tenant ever gets a full refund of security deposit. Depending on the condition of the apartment after you vacate, you may get a partial refund. I live a 300 unit complex, and I've seen the horrible condition and the extensive damage inside recently vacated apartments, the tenant won't get his security deposit back. Instead he will be sued for damages to the unit.

Not true. When I left my last apartment, I got my full security deposit back plus interest. Although they were going to totally renovate the apartment. But it was left in good overall condition.

Really it does depend on several factors.

StephanF

I shared an apartment with another student for 6 years. We kept the place in excellent condition. When we finally moved, the lady that ran the complex couldn't believe her eyes, she said she could rent the apartment out without renovation! Of course, we got the deposit back maybe even with interest, I don't remember. Interestingly, when I later rented an apartment in the Boston area, the landlord said that our deposit would be put into a savings account and would incur interest. Maybe it would be a good idea to find out whether that is a state or city requirement. The landlord or rental agency may be required by law to do that! If your place had these issues in the past, there may be court records about this. Usually these things end up at the 'small claims court', I would talk to that court if that happened in the past! Also, you could tell the landlord if he didn't give the deposit back then you will sue him and he would have to carry the cost of the lawsuit when he looses.

keytothecity

My ex gf did it since she and her roommate are lawyers.
They took extensive videos when they moved in though, which is something everyone should do. Document every flaw.
Shen they bring up flaws and you can prove it wasn’t you, they‘ll look bad in front of court

supercoolguy

Yes I have sucessfully, the courts know theres shady LLs AND they know theres a story to be heard from both sides.
Search for LL & Tenant Rights for you state. Get the lease in hand. Get acquainted with both.
Verbal agreements are ok but The Judge may not be a fan.

Cloudhands

Yeah me and my gf did it a while ago, and because the landlord did something (i dont remember) wrong we were able to sue for double our deposit! We didnt seeing as we just wanted our initial costs and to leave but some states are known to have laws that favor the tenant

DMF

Waiting till Monday to see/hear If I'll get representation - or If I;ll need it at all....

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Eldermusl57 Has anyone ever rubbed Pine Pollen tincture on their scrotum? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 1
D Anyone Ever Make Tea From Cilantro? Effective? Toxins, Detoxification 2
Hgreen56 Has Anyone Ever Actually Heard Dr Peat Recommend A High Carb Diet? Diet 64
G Vitamin D Deficiency -anyone Ever Get Better? Miscellaneous Health Discussions 6
meatbag Has Anyone Ever Taken 5g+ Niacinamide In One Sitting? Experiments 18
GorillaHead Has Anyone Ever Taken Fo-ti (he Shou Wi) ? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 7
beachbum Anyone Ever Hear Of This Person Articles & Scientific Studies 24
M Has Anyone Here Ever Tried This Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 20
D Anyone Ever Made Their Own Gelatin Powder? Gelatin 8
R Has Anyone Done Bloodwork Before And After Following Peat's Guidelines? Blood Work, Labs 1
Pina Anyone try Bendroflumethiazide? Pharmaceutical Drugs 1
youngsinatra Does Anyone Of You Also Have Hyperthyroid-Like BT & Pulse? Ask For Help or Advice 18
Pina Has anyone lowered blood pressure or cholesterol using thyroid? Thyroid and Hormones 13
D Has anyone noticed synchronicity? Ask For Help or Advice 2
B Is anyone familiar with eyedrops with thyroid (T3)? Eyes, Ears, Nose and Headaches/Migraines 0
E Did anyone already tried astressin B for hair loss when you have high blood cortisol? Ask For Help or Advice 0
Sexypizza Does anyone know where I can buy tetracycline? Supplements 2
F Did anyone reversed grey hairs with topical copper? Hair & Nails 48
ImprovingDaily Anyone know how to make topical Cascara Sagrada? Skin 14
E Does anyone know if glycine supplement raise hemoglobin? Ask For Help or Advice 0
R Has anyone successfully lowered thyroid antibodies? Thyroid and Hormones 11
G Has anyone had eye surgery for astigmatism? Health 2
T High Lipoprotein A. Anyone else? Blood Work, Labs 10
yerrag Does Anyone Have References that Validate the Use of Urine pH as a Proxy for Blood/ECF pH? Acidity vs. Alkalinity 65
MyUsernameHere Topical taurine, anyone tried? Hair & Nails 4
G Anyone experience negative effects from stomatolgical local anesthesia? Health 4
P Has anyone tried pureclinica supplements? Ask For Help or Advice 0
M Anyone tried sodium benzoate? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 7
P Can anyone share their experience with cordyceps Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
P Anyone get good lab results using 10-15 mgs of dhea Male Issues 0
G Anyone here have access to a lab or hospital or research facility? Blood Work, Labs 3
J absolute refusal to take verbal abuse from anyone anymore Ask For Help or Advice 7
P Can anyone tell me their experience using suma root Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 3
U Could anyone recommend good Buteyko coach? Altitude, Bag Breathing, CO2, Light, Weather 1
bzmazu "Terrorist" Now Defined As Anyone Disagreeing with Establishment Dogma Breaking News 28
P Can anyone tell me a site i can get a inhaler from Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
Simatta Marc Pro Plus Experimentation Anyone? Ask For Help or Advice 0
J Levo gives me high BP- is anyone using small doses of T3 with meals in lieu of levo? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
F anyone used hydrocortisone to help tolerate/utilize thyroid? Ask For Help or Advice 23
P Can Anyone Recommend A Good Weight Lifting Regime Exercise 14
P Anyone Have Experience With Everylywell At-home Thyroid Test? Blood Work, Labs 2
J Chillipad/OOLER System To Improve Sleep Anyone? Insomnia, Sleep Issues 1
A Anyone Tried A Pescatarian(ish) Diet? Ask For Help or Advice 3
M Is Anyone From The Forum From Germany Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
J Does Anyone Know Anything About Selleckchem Dot Com? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
Gadreel Has Anyone Else Heard Of A 8 Wk 400mg Dhea Study? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 21
F Does Anyone Have A Backup Of Tyw's Blog? Ask For Help or Advice 13
U Anyone Had Health Improvements From Reducing Caffeine Intake? Coffee 42
ddjd Anyone Tried Drostanolone / Masteron ? Ask For Help or Advice 5
N Can Anyone Recommend A Practitioner To Help Me With PCOS Who Has Worked With Ray Peet In Australia? Ask For Help or Advice 3