Anyone Ever Made Their Own Gelatin Powder?

Dutchie

Anyone ever made their own Gelatin Powder?

I came to think about it,since a couple of days ago someone commented/asked if gelatin is basically ground bones. I never thougth about how it's made.
But if it's indeed ground bones,would it then be possible to make your own gelatinpowder? and if so how?

I have some bones still in the freezer,but havent tried yet again making broth from it bc all my attempts in the past tasted awfull and ended up throwing it away.
If you can make your own powder somewhat easily from the bones,that would save me some money.

So,do you basically cook the bones a couple of minutes to scrape the scum off the bones,remove and clean them and then somehow ground them? (and if so,with what?)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think they use the skin and all for gelatin?

Bruv

Dutchie said:
So,do you basically cook the bones a couple of minutes to scrape the scum off the bones,remove and clean them and then somehow ground them?
No. That would be bonemeal.

OP
D

Dutchie

aquaman said:
It's made mainly from skin I think.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/ ... ifference/

Just make bone broth from your frozen bones, it's a good option.

Well,Ive did those attempts in the past and it didn't taste and look appetizing at all....that's why I thougth of making powder from it.

@Bruv I guess you're rigth about the bonemeal,but when you make broth you have to subtract the amino acids out of the bone so the 'bonemeal' would contain the amino acids I'm guessing.

lindsay

I just made a good bone broth - at least, it was the tastiest yet (I haven't liked many of the ones I've made in the past).

I used 2 lamb shanks (which have lots of gelatin and meat)
a cup or two of apple juice (or apple cider)
splash of apple cider vinegar
salt to taste (be careful - the longer you cook it the saltier it gets; start slow and add more at the end)
Filtered water
rice (if you want)

Cook everything for a few hours and then enjoy! I pulled the meat off the bones and added to the broth, along with some rice. I think the apple juice gives it a nicer flavor. And the lamb shank meat is so tender.

Ideonaut

there's ordinarily not that much gelatin (cartilage) on bones. From my experience beef tendons work best--they're all cartilage. Available at Asian markets. Just boil a long time and stick in the fridge. I don't know why anyone would want to go to the trouble of making powder. :2cents

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
[ref]brumpfschmlog[/ref], thank you for the info about the beef tendons. :hattip