Anyone Else Still A Fan Of Bright Light?

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

Just chipping in with the "still happily using bright light" crowd.

I've never tried a halogen, but I'd imagine this particular one is probably so bright you might need sunglasses.

@Ron J, you might already know this, but that one would have to be wired into a cord.

I have actually used these for a period and they are about as bright as they get, and you can look *near* them, but you are right looking straight into them was very uncomfortable.

Dr. Peat didnt specifically reccomend to look into a 500w halogen (which btw has much higher lumens aka brightness then incadescent) he just said "bright light" as i recall

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

I forget the exact wavelengths that supposedly are best for certain issues, but visible red light, near infrared, and infrared are useful wavelengths. To say that the heat from a brooder is a waste is not true because this is what infrared radiation is; heat. You cant actually see infrared.

The heat from infared, or the infared itself if that is more accurate, is supposedly damaging to cellular DNA. I ahve seen people use set ups with bags of water in front of the infared lamps to lower the heat, not just for comfort but because of the slight radiation damage.

Could you point me to any articles on the benefits of infared specifically?

x-ray peat

The heat from infared, or the infared itself if that is more accurate, is supposedly damaging to cellular DNA. I ahve seen people use set ups with bags of water in front of the infared lamps to lower the heat, not just for comfort but because of the slight radiation damage.

Could you point me to any articles on the benefits of infared specifically?
I think you are thinking of UVA which is blocked by water. People are spending thousands of dollars on infrared saunas. There are tons of studies on infrared

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

I think you are thinking of UVA which is blocked by water. People are spending thousands of dollars on infrared saunas. There are tons of studies on infrared

There are tons of studies on the health benefits of PUFA and the dangers of sugar :punch:

People also spend tens of thousands on blue light beds :satellite:

I believe infared is harmful and the UVA and UVB rays emitted are harmful radiation.

"Employees working for companies involved in the mass production of lasers and heat lamps have a higher risk of experiencing adverse effects due to exposure. These rays can disrupt body cells, penetrate DNA and cause cancer. Those who are vulnerable are advised to wear protective gear."

from What are the dangers of infrared radiation?

encerent

I cant remember at this point but when I looked into the spectrum it was pretty good. I am thinking about getting a ruby lux but I wonder if it is just a brooder with a red coating. I think RP thought the clear ones where better. I think he uses the 130v brooders but could be wrong.

The ruby lux seems to be a brooder with red coating.

encerent

There are tons of studies on the health benefits of PUFA and the dangers of sugar :punch:

I believe infared is harmful and the UVA and UVB rays emitted are harmful radiation.

"Employees working for companies involved in the mass production of lasers and heat lamps have a higher risk of experiencing adverse effects due to exposure. These rays can disrupt body cells, penetrate DNA and cause cancer. Those who are vulnerable are advised to wear protective gear."

UVA and UVB rays are harmful.
I don't think infrared is harmful, though it might be in high doses.

Redlightman has a whole line of products based on infrared therapy. I'm convinced by what he says on this page,

Infrared Light Therapy - Red Light Man

Last edited by a moderator:

x-ray peat

slow your roll Pacquiao, no need to break out the :punch: emoji. :)

x-ray peat

The ruby lux seems to be a brooder with red coating.
thanks I am thinking of getting it. The big difference I can see over a brooder is that you get more near infrared and little to no far infrared. I think both have there place, but the near infrared may be better for mitochondrial activation etc. and I don't think I want to use my brooder come summer.

I think Ive seem this posted before but will do again since it has some really good info on it.
Valtsu's: The Therapeutic Effects of Red and Near-Infrared Light (2015)

encerent

thanks I am thinking of getting it. The big difference I can see over a brooder is that you get more near infrared and little to no far infrared. I think both have there place, but the near infrared may be better for mitochondrial activation etc. and I don't think I want to use my brooder come summer.

I think Ive seem this posted before but will do again since it has some really good info on it.
Valtsu's: The Therapeutic Effects of Red and Near-Infrared Light (2015)

But then there are cheaper brooders with a red coating (which would shift the light spectrum to the right away from blue to red-infrared) such as the Philips 415836 Heat Lamp 250-Watt R40 Flood Light Bulb on amazon. I did put in an order for a RubyLux and I do have that Philips. Gonna check tonight if there is any difference.

x-ray peat

But then there are cheaper brooders with a red coating (which would shift the light spectrum to the right away from blue to red-infrared) such as the Philips 415836 Heat Lamp 250-Watt R40 Flood Light Bulb on amazon. I did put in an order for a RubyLux and I do have that Philips. Gonna check tonight if there is any difference.
I wonder if the Ruby red is doing something different than just painting a brooder red. I would hope so for double the price.

I am looking into led now as Valtsu's blog post is big on them.
Anyone here prefer LED to incandescent?

Peater Piper

What's the difference between an incandescent heat lamp and a normal incandescent bulb? What causes the heat lamp to run hotter?

Peater Piper

Screenshot 2016-12-15 at 11.36.54 PM.png

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

Personally I fins google produces more frustrating results than not, particularly with obscure sciencey questions. They also have a very leftish bias politically speaking, and actually alter their search results in favor of that political bias.

Heat lamps use a special metal filament designed to produce light. Incandesecnt bulbs use a the classic tungsten one that doesnt produce near as much heat.

Last edited:

Fractality

A while back I purchased a full sprectrum reptile lightbulb. I went through a period of using it for 15-20 minutes at a time (usually in the mornings). I definitely noticed a therapeutic effect.

I do not think UV-A and UV-B are harmful in "normal amounts" with the feedback mechanism being sunburn/tan. UV light is required for the skin to make sulfated vitamin D, UV light on the retina builds dopamine, and we evolved with regular UV exposure.

Peater Piper

Personally I fins google produces more frustrating results than not, particularly with obscure sciencey questions. They also have a very leftish bias politically speaking, and actually alter their search results in favor of that political bias.

Heat lamps use a special metal filament designed to produce light. Incandesecnt bulbs use a the classic tungsten one that doesnt produce near as much heat.
Dude, thank you. I actually did google it and kept getting comparisons to halogens and LEDs and conversations between people that clearly had no idea what they were talking about. So it's all as simple as a different filament.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals