Anyone Else Have Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome?

OP
F

frustrated

All I can find:

"The metabolic rhythm should correspond to the light-dark rhythm, because darkness is a basic biological stress, and sleep is protective against the stress of darkness. Since TSH has many maladaptive effects, and rises along with prolactin and cortisol during the night, some thyroid taken at bedtime helps to reduce the stress, moderating the TSH rise while keeping the blood sugar from falling too fast. Ice cream (i.e., sugar and fat with a little protein) at bedtime has a similar effect, reducing the rise of adrenaline, cortisol, etc., with the result that the morning cortisol peak will be lower, preferably below the middle of the common range, and then it should decline in the afternoon".

OP
F

frustrated

The more I research this the more it seems, once again, that the mainstream's leading hypothesis, the melatonin/circadian rhythm theory, is completely wrong :/

OP
F

frustrated

Ricky Gibby said:
No offence but I have never heard about Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome. What is that can you please explain. I think my grandma is suffering from the same. Please help!!!

No Offense, but you're a shitty spammer Gibby :D How about you do some research first tard? LOL @ trying to sell Whey to peat tards :mrgreen:

OP
F

frustrated

burtlancast said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_Sleep_Phase_Syndrome

CaptobviousChooseOption.gif

burtlancast

:lol:

Calm down, mister.

This syndrome is a b****, as it greatly impacts social life. It gets practically never diagnosed properly, and sufferers most of the time get drugged silly by ignorant doctors.

I bet that's what you went through.

Saddly, i didn't come across a remedy in Peat's material.

But the wikipedia article does mention light therapy as an aid in resetting sleep cycles. Plus maybe cannabis.

PS: Jack Kirby is the greatest ;)

jyb

I wonder if its due to something easily avoidable (like avoiding computer screen light for hours before bedtime) or due to hormones (so, something that could be improved by reducing stress and following RP's advice).

I suffer from late this late sleep onset symptom, and sometimes other insomnia symptoms, but until reading that Wikipedia article I thought it was just a consequence of poor sleep, itself a consequence of a bad metabolism.

OP
F

frustrated

burtlancast said:
:lol:

Calm down, mister.

This syndrome is a b****, as it greatly impacts social life. It gets practically never diagnosed properly, and sufferers most of the time get drugged silly by ignorant doctors.

I bet that's what you went through.

Saddly, i didn't come across a remedy in Peat's material.

But the wikipedia article does mention light therapy as an aid in resetting sleep cycles. Plus maybe cannabis.

PS: Jack Kirby is the greatest ;)

Someone on RP fans fb page said they had success using amber sunglasses. I think blue light at night is definitely part of the problem but by no means the whole issue. I'm going to email Peat to see what he says.

OP
F

frustrated

jyb said:
I wonder if its due to something easily avoidable (like avoiding computer screen light for hours before bedtime) or due to hormones (so, something that could be improved by reducing stress and following RP's advice).

I suffer from late this late sleep onset symptom, and sometimes other insomnia symptoms, but until reading that Wikipedia article I thought it was just a consequence of poor sleep, itself a consequence of a bad metabolism.

Light therapy actually works well http://www.day-lights.com/us/light-ther ... apy-wp.pdf

Blue light avoidance should help.

I wonder if red light at night does anything for it.

Jenn

Getting enough sunlight during the day definitely helps. Getting enough CO2 to the lungs helps (the lungs destroy seratonin) too. I found by accident when I am "wired" and really tired, but can't sleep, and I have already done all my other "remedies"(magnesium, sugar before bed, etc.) sleeping with my blanket partially over my mouth helps me hibernate. I need to create a large pocket for air,so I create a bit of a 50/50 mix. I can't handle all the way, I need a different mixture, I guess.

burtlancast

There's a very useful little program (free) called f.lux that turns off the blue light componnent emanated from your screen.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

OP
F

frustrated

F.lux doesn't actually get rid of all the blue light. It will decrease the computer screen to 3400 kelvins, which still has some blue light. In addition to f.lux You need to manually set your monitor to R:100 G:60: B:0 or something similar to get the best results.

OP
F

frustrated

Jenn said:
Getting enough sunlight during the day definitely helps. Getting enough CO2 to the lungs helps (the lungs destroy seratonin) too. I found by accident when I am "wired" and really tired, but can't sleep, and I have already done all my other "remedies"(magnesium, sugar before bed, etc.) sleeping with my blanket partially over my mouth helps me hibernate. I need to create a large pocket for air,so I create a bit of a 50/50 mix. I can't handle all the way, I need a different mixture, I guess.

So u think sleeping with a mask might be effective?

jyb

frustrated said:
F.lux doesn't actually get rid of all the blue light. It will decrease the computer screen to 3400 kelvins, which still has some blue light. In addition to f.lux You need to manually set your monitor to R:100 G:60: B:0 or something similar to get the best results.

That's useful information. Since I continue to have delayed sleep onset problems, I started to wonder whether F.Lux is enough.

@frustrated: you mentioned earlier in this thread that you were emailing RP regarding blue light as the cause of delayed sleep onset, care to keep us updated on this?

OP
F

frustrated

jyb said:
frustrated said:

That's useful information. Since I continue to have delayed sleep onset problems, I started to wonder whether F.Lux is enough.

@frustrated: you mentioned earlier in this thread that you were emailing RP regarding blue light as the cause of delayed sleep onset, care to keep us updated on this?

No I didn't get around to doing it.

Even if I'm not tired I can still get to bed and meditate myself to sleep whenever. The problem is if it's before 3am I almost always wake up after 10mins with an adrenaline rush. This pisses me off but after a while I get back to sleep and get an uninterrupted, refreshing, 9hours of sleep. If I just stay up till 5-6am I get to sleep the first time without the adrenaline rush.

jyb

frustrated said:
Even if I'm not tired I can still get to bed and meditate myself to sleep whenever. The problem is if it's before 3am I almost always wake up after 10mins with an adrenaline rush. This pisses me off but after a while I get back to sleep and get an uninterrupted, refreshing, 9hours of sleep. If I just stay up till 5-6am I get to sleep the first time without the adrenaline rush.

I can relate to that, it's what I have at the moment - if I wait late enough, I'll have a decent sleep (maybe less than 7-8 hours, but deep sleep).

I can relate to those sleep attempts where one wakes up 10mins after. In my opinion, its not sleep. It's more like a non deep, sub conscious state like torpor that you get if you're insomniac and you're trying to actively initiate sleep, as opposed to waiting long enough until exhaustion makes you fall asleep (ie the body chooses for you when to sleep).