Anyone else feel sedation from amoxicillin?

I'm.No.One

F/36/132lbs/5'4

So I'm dealing with a kidney infection, ongoing, pretty ran down, all the usuals weren't helping.

The Dr, of course, wanted me to take Cipro or Bactrim, no way.

Ended up with pure amoxicillin, 875mg.

Took one this morning after eating & I'm sooooooooo incredibly sedated. Even fell asleep in the living room, I'm not a nap person & this is for sure from the antibiotics.(I'm not taking anything else/supplements at the moment)

Just curious about the reasoning behind this & searching online just suggests it's "altering my nervous system & to call my Dr" so no real information.

I'll probably cut the pills in half now & take that 2x a day versus the 1600+mg a day.

I've taken amoxicillin before, albeit never in these big of doses, & have never noticed anything even similar to this.

Any ideas/similar experiences?

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I don't know about sedation from an antibiotic. But I know that when I had sinus infections years ago, I was exhausted without pain or any indication of infection. Could the sedation be your infection? Or maybe your body is relaxing now that the infection is being fought off with the antibiotic?

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

I don't know about sedation from an antibiotic. But I know that when I had sinus infections years ago, I was exhausted without pain or any indication of infection. Could the sedation be your infection? Or maybe your body is relaxing now that the infection is being fought off with the antibiotic?
I'm guessing it's from the antibiotic itself, it kicked in about 30 mins after taking it, the half-life of amoxicillin is about 8 hours, I'm a bit past that mark now & the sedation is passing.

It didn't really feel like exhaustion, was more like I took a sedative & was having to fight to stay awake.

I've seen people here talk about feeling euphoric from antibiotics, maybe it's something similar to that?

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Well, antibiotics are drugs and there are side effects that many experience that not everyone does so I don't doubt you. The main thing is to get over the kidney infection and if it is working in that regard being relaxed can help.

Matestube

I'm guessing it's from the antibiotic itself, it kicked in about 30 mins after taking it, the half-life of amoxicillin is about 8 hours, I'm a bit past that mark now & the sedation is passing.

It didn't really feel like exhaustion, was more like I took a sedative & was having to fight to stay awake.

I've seen people here talk about feeling euphoric from antibiotics, maybe it's something similar to that?

Yep, I was the one mentioning the euphoric feeling from antibiotics.

The sedation would be explained by your stress levels going down, as your bacteria are getting eradicated, I feel this every time on Augmentin.
But unlike true exhaustion, it's just relaxation, you can have energy on demand.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Yep, I was the one mentioning the euphoric feeling from antibiotics.

The sedation would be explained by your stress levels going down, as your bacteria are getting eradicated, I feel this every time on Augmentin.
But unlike true exhaustion, it's just relaxation, you can have energy on demand.
That wasn't the case for me, in regards to having energy on demand, I couldn't even keep my eyes open. It was kinda crazy as I've taken amoxicillin in the past with no such issues.

LadyRae

That wasn't the case for me, in regards to having energy on demand, I couldn't even keep my eyes open. It was kinda crazy as I've taken amoxicillin in the past with no such issues.
Yes, this happened to me, too. I have a big bottle of 500 mg amoxicillin capsules and I take them once a month or so for a few days to keep bacteria levels in check. Within an hour or so of taking a capsule, my face feels incredibly warm and dewy and I feel extremely happy and relaxed.

On these days I time it just so I can have best nap ever around 2:30 p.m.! About 8 hours after I take a capsule I take a spoonful of activated charcoal powder in a little bit of water.....

Explorer

Less endotoxin stimulating less stress hormones so the over-excitation from estrogen/cortisol/histamine goes down and body rests and recovers