Anyone Care To Explain This Study About DHT

Kunstruct

Too much anecdote mixed up with out of context information from studies is pushed ahead by hairloss guys and then counter garbage information starts to build up, like someone needs pretty high DHT otherwise is feeling really sick.

DiabloQueso

It seems to me that my theory of dht being an emergency stress hormone like nitric oxide seems more legit that dht being a miracle hormone for men.
DHT is pretty much a waste product in adult men. Total elimination may cause problems (unclear), but most adult men have easily 3-5x more than they need.

tankasnowgod

Dihydrotestosterone Treatment Results in Obesity and Altered Lipid Metabolism in Orchidectomized Mice - PubMed

It seems to me that my theory of dht being an emergency stress hormone like nitric oxide seems more legit that dht being a miracle hormone for men.

Did you read the study?

DHT acted as a FAO inhibitor, increasing the respiratory quotient. In the 3 month old mice, it basically doubled retroperitoneal fat mass, but in 9 month old mice, the DHT group had roughly the same retroperitoneal fat mass as the sham treatment group.

The study doesn't say the macro breakdown of what the mice were eating, but they did have free access to "water and soy-free food pellets." Yum. I wonder if it was lower carb/higher fat. Using a FAO inhibitor can be very pro-metabolic, but combining it with a higher fat diet seems like a good recipe for fat gain to me.

I don't know that the DHT mice could be considered "obese," seeing as the older mice receiving DHT had about the same weight and fat mass as the sham treatment mice of the same age group.

It should be noted that Testosterone seemed to have a similar effect..... namely, that sham and testosterone treated mice had roughly the same fat mass, castrated mice had less, and T + AI mice slightly greater fat mass. But those mice were only 23 days old.

I also don't know if "castrate yourself to lose weight" would resonate with many humans. But who knows today?

And that is another point..... all of the mice that received DHT were castrated. So, any results might not translate to an uncastrated human who decides to experiment with exogenous DHT.

Last edited:

keytothecity

DHT is pretty much a waste product in adult men. Total elimination may cause problems (unclear), but most adult men have easily 3-5x more than they need.
yeah because clearly most adult men seem as androgenic as they should...
sounds like fin cope tbh

T

TheBeard

Most men are deficient in DHT, it's easy to tell by how they look and behave.

DHT blood values mean nothing, it's a paracrine hormone.

golder

Most men are deficient in DHT, it's easy to tell by how they look and behave.

DHT blood values mean nothing, it's a paracrine hormone.
Thanks for this. Best giveaways for low DHT in behaviour/look? Lack of deep voice? Dark facial hair?

cupofcoffee

Thanks for this. Best giveaways for low DHT in behaviour/look? Lack of deep voice? Dark facial hair?
i think the low dht look is: bloated, skinny, thin neck and pale skin. Low DHT behavior is the passive aggressive, jittery behavior you see in feminist men.

golder

I’ve got an extremely thin neck from my entire teenage years as hypothyroid and low T/DHT. Is it too late now in my 30s to substantially change this?

MitchMitchell

Even with totally suppressed DHT (natural + Dutasteride) I have a deep voice and fast beard growth. Didn’t improve my hair tho because my issue is high cortisol and TSH creeping up; I don’t think inhibiting 5ar does anything in that context.

I think the passive aggressive jittery wimp skinny fat behavior y’all are describing is more so a serotonin problem. Not hard to understand what’s causing that lack of dopamine in the country of ComPlEx CarBs and ReD MeaT iS BaD. Eat steak and eggs and go have fun with your friends you’ll feel like a boss.

cupofcoffee

I’ve got an extremely thin neck from my entire teenage years as hypothyroid and low T/DHT. Is it too late now in my 30s to substantially change this?
it's not too late, lower cortisol (IMO it's the main cause of thin neck) and maximize T as much as possible, naturally or not.

cupofcoffee

Even with totally suppressed DHT (natural + Dutasteride) I have a deep voice and fast beard growth. Didn’t improve my hair tho because my issue is high cortisol and TSH creeping up; I don’t think inhibiting 5ar does anything in that context.

I think the passive aggressive jittery wimp skinny fat behavior y’all are describing is more so a serotonin problem. Not hard to understand what’s causing that lack of dopamine in the country of ComPlEx CarBs and ReD MeaT iS BaD. Eat steak and eggs and go have fun with your friends you’ll feel like a boss.
low DHT often leads to high serotonin, but you're right.
High serotonin and low GABA is the main cause of "low testosterone behavior".

tankasnowgod

Attached is the chart of the 9 month old mice from the study-

DHT mice.png

So where, exactly, does the "obesity" show up for the DHT treated mice? Their overall bodyweight looks to be slightly less than sham treatment mice, with retroperitoneal fat looking to be right about the same. I don't quite understand "Gonadal Fat Mass," but seeing as the mice were castrated, maybe it's an effect of DHT to try and reverse that operation?

If anything, it appears DHT is normalizing bodyweight of the mice after castration.

rei

I also don't know if "castrate yourself to lose weight" would resonate with many humans. But who knows today?
Dude, people chemically castrate themselves for vanity to gain hair, i would guess a much larger part would be willing to castrate themselves if they believe it will make them slim.

T

TheBeard

Asking permission to speak
Not looking into the eyes
Having a shaky voice during an argument

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals