Anyone Can Explain Me How This Works? (glycogen)

berk

I dont want to spam this forum to much with 101 questions
i have found lot of info with the search button (actually with google but this search button sucks)
But this one i always have trouble understanding.

So glucose from starch going straight to the muscles. Correct?
Fructose go's straight to the liver.
The liver can only handle 70 grams of fructose.
If your consume more than 70 grams of fructose a day it is convert to bodyfat?

Lactose broken down into glucose & galactose, then both going straight to muscle?
And where are these broken down? in the liver?
And then there is sucrose, also straight to the liver?

Oh and if you are lactose intolerant you feel crap and tired when consuming dairy?
Maybe diarree or constipation? or are these more high calcium symptoms?
And is it possible that you don't realize when your lactose intolerant?

OP
berk

berk

wel, looks like no one else here knows how this works either...

postman

From what I've read you can only assimilate like about 50 grams of fructose at a time, but that's per meal not per day, and I'm not even sure it's correct.

There are many reasons why you could have a problem with dairy. You could react to the lactose, to the casein, you might have calcium regulation problems, you might be reacting to the retinol and so forth. If it's just a lactose issue then it can apparently be treated by only consuming small amounts of dairy and then increasing the intake slowly. The idea is that the lactase enzyme production will start up again but this takes time. For example you could try just drinking a teaspoon of milk per day for a week, next week you go up to a table spoon, next week you go up to a deciliter, then next week a whole glass etc.

tara

AIUI, some of it goes into circulation for immediate use by cells at work (basic metabolism, movement, build and repair, brain work, ...). The more work they are doing, the more they will use up, and the sooner you can repeat. If you are working hard, you can use up a serving of carbs quicker than if sedentary. I too have read about 50g fructose at a time.
If there's too much glucose or fructose circulating it can get stored as glycogen.
Sucrose breaks down to half glucose, half fructose.
Much of the breakdown of di- and polysaccharides happens in the digestive system - from mouth through gut - by enzymes, eg amylase, sucrase, lactase.

SOMO

I dont want to spam this forum to much with 101 questions
i have found lot of info with the search button (actually with google but this search button sucks)
But this one i always have trouble understanding.

Lactose broken down into glucose & galactose, then both going straight to muscle?
And where are these broken down? in the liver?
And then there is sucrose, also straight to the liver?

Oh and if you are lactose intolerant you feel crap and tired when consuming dairy?
Maybe diarree or constipation? or are these more high calcium symptoms?
And is it possible that you don't realize when your lactose intolerant?

1. Starch is broken down into amylose and maltose before it is broken down to glucose.
Some portion of the starch is converted into glucose and it is quickly taken up by the liver and muscle.
Some portion of the starch is excreted into the large intestine where bacteria feed on it and produce some substances that could either BENEFIT OR HARM YOU and there doesn't seem to be any way of knowing if the starch you consumed is going to be converted into "good stuff" or "bad stuff."

-Mind you, you only have a maximum carrying capacity of approximately 500g Glycogen in your body (equal to ~2000 Calories of Carbohydrate.)
If you have 250 grams of Glycogen today, and you consume 250 grams of carbohydrate in the form of white rice, you will max out and will be unable to store more glycogen.

-Anything "Extra" is burned through something called Futile Cycling, which "disposes" of extra energy/calories, but some portion of it may become body fat/adipose through De Novo Lipogenesis.

-DNL rate is generally very low in most people and is not a significant contributor of extra body fat.
DNL rate is higher in diabetics and the insulin resistant.

2. Fructose will replenish liver glycogen,
But fructose can also be mal-absorbed and pass into the large intestine where it is either pooped out or becomes food for bacteria.

3. Lactose is broken down in the small intestine into glucose/galactose.
Diarrhea from milk = Lactose Intolerance.
Try buying Lactase enzyme and adding it to milk.

4. Sucrose is also broken down in the small intestine and there is generally none left to pass into the small intestine. Sucrose is undoubtedly the carbohydrate/disaccharide that is LEAST LIKELY to cause/worsen SIBO.

Last edited:
OP
berk

berk

Thanks.

what about constipation from milk? Also Lactose Intolerance? or more a casesein issue?

SOMO

Thanks.

what about constipation from milk? Also Lactose Intolerance? or more a casesein issue?

1. Constipation could be from the Casomorphins, and there are a few quality posts on this forum regarding A1 Casomorphin in cow's milk.
They now sell A2 Milk in grocery stores, but it is more expensive.
Goat's milk has no A1 Casomorphin as far as I know and thus should be

2. If you really must isolate the cause of your consipation from milk, I would suggest getting some A2 milk or goat's milk and seeing if those forms of dairy cause constipation.

3. For anyone that has ever taken those isolated fiber supplements, knows that you can get BOTH Diarrhea and Constipation SIMULTANEOUSLY. I would also take a bunch of fiber supplements in the past and they had an almost identical effect to undigested lactose - constipation and/or diarrhea.
There is even an IBS classification IBS C&D where someone has both constipation and diarrhea regularly.

4. I myself have drank very large quantities of milk, only to experience diarrhea a few hours later. I have also experienced a bloated constipated feeling from milk where it feels like I have to go to the bathroom, but only gas comes out or worse yet, nothing comes out.

5. Mind you, this isn't just Lactose, it's all disaccharides that aren't broken down in the small intestine.

Do you get constipated from other forms of dairy?
-Cheese (many people get constipation from cheese actually)
-Yogurt
-Greek Yogurt
-Cottage Cheese
-Sour Cream
-Half&Half/Creamer?

Hgreen56

3. Lactose is broken down in the small intestine into glucose/galactose.
Try buying Lactase enzyme and adding it to milk.
Were is galactose going to? straight to the liver?

Nice post btw.