Anyone believe in either God or karma?

Jack Earth

Just curious about how the rp forum members think about this in general.
Also feel free to discuss law of attraction beliefs

Missenger

Religion is dogma and stories, unless you mean Earth being purgatory or limbo or something, then that'd be something people would have to decide for themselves if they want to see society be heaven or hell.

Ben.

I think religion and believeing in god, whatever name or form it comes, are belief systems trying to understand or atleast cope with the world around a person.
Sadly it is/has also been a tool for power and control, suppressing the natural curiousity and being of many people.

To be honest, i envy people that are able to have so much "faith" in something so elusive and untouchable. Where in thoose the certainty is so strong yet it builds on something that to me seems to be nothingness.

Perhaps the (miss-) interpretation that we call god is a inherent understanding of everything that makes up life and all its interconnection and flow within the universe from the very beginning all the way to the end of time.

I do not believe in karma tho, to many good people suffer and die while literal scum of personalities rule and live in abundance. If Karma comes back around beyond death then perhaps it makes sense but in this live? On this planet? No.

youngsinatra

Well through discovering bioenergetics and lots of self-experimentation, I believe that the human experience is totally driven by physiology.

I think the truly religious are often driven by disrupted neurochemistry and physiology in general.

I noticed it for myself. I was deep into religion and philosophy, but nowadays I don't think about it much at all. I got into that whole thing, while I was suffering from panic attacks and depression, thinking that the evil one is haunting me.

I read a lot of material and diaries from saints and holy people and I think most of them had some sort of schizophrenic or psychotic features, which kept them so closely to the faith.

But these are just my thoughts, based on my experience. Love to hear everyone else's POV.

mariantos

Well through discovering bioenergetics and lots of self-experimentation, I believe that the human experience is totally driven by physiology.

I think the truly religious are often driven by disrupted neurochemistry and physiology in general.

I noticed it for myself. I was deep into religion and philosophy, but nowadays I don't think about it much at all. I got into that whole thing, while I was suffering from panic attacks and depression, thinking that the evil one is haunting me.

I read a lot of material and diaries from saints and holy people and I think most of them had some sort of schizophrenic or psychotic features, which kept them so closely to the faith.

But these are just my thoughts, based on my experience. Love to hear everyone else's POV.
Those people who believe in God are free, not schizophrenics.

Religion does not save you, the Son of God is the only one who does it. Trust in Jesus Christ and you will be saved.Call on Him and accept Him in your life as Lord and Savior and He will help you, give you true peace and joy. You will not feel fear, you will be freed from fears, anxiety, impure thoughts, you will marvel at His love!

May God be with you!

Zpol

Went to catholic school for 4 years and ended up with major depressive disorder and suicidal ideation by the age 10 (had to go to therapy and put on meds). When I think back to that age, I used to manically pray that God didn't destroy us with another flood due to all the war and violence in the world, and also to save my non-christian friends from burning in hell for eternity. I basically lived in terror of God's wrath. Also learned about the crusades around that time.

That said, I don't see anything bad about believing in a higher spirit if it benefits your conscience. Also, for some people, praying is very soothing, like a meditation if sorts. It's really organized religion and peoples' interpretation of the Bible that are terrifying to me. Also, some people leave certain things "in God's hands" to shirk responsibility.

I personally find an amazing peace of mind by practicing gratitude towards nature, appreciation of the life cycle, trying to live in harmony with nature, and all that.

koky

Werner Erhard: It's useful to distinguish between believing that something is so and its actually being so, because the belief in that thing which is so is totally different from its so-ness. As a matter of fact, the belief that something is so keeps you from experiencing its being so. It actually ceases to be so, because you've got a barrier between you and it; and the barrier is your belief that it's so. A belief in the truth is not the truth; yet the same thing, without the belief, is the truth.

Jerkboy

I believed in God from a young age. Eventhough I hated going to church and actually I never go. I have also had periods where I did not think about it at all or even was a non-believer.

I don't like religions or the people that try to put it on you. That is the funny thing. God to me is my personal relationship. It is also a mindset: you do not listen to fake prophets, humans, etc. who claim to know it all. Instead you trust God. Which converts to you trusting yourself more as well.

This is the lesson of religion I think. Of course false prophets and other idiots (or smart, whatever you think of them) use this for their personal gain. Simply because a majority of people who they take advantage of who believe in false prophets do not really believe in God. They don't understand it I think. It is just a habit.

In my eyes religion should promote healthy individualism where you still care about your fellow human but you do not become a slave to someone or something.

Simply being religious is nonsense if it does not change the way you think and operate in the world. Then you just do something out of habit.

Serotonin actually promotes belief systems I think. Incl. religion.

fr@

@Ben.

I was thinking of the same thing about Karma.
This whole idea about Karma is kind of ironic, but I just find it easier to be good with everyone (as much as possible).
'Cause doing so gets you less friction (mentally/socially), which noramlly you'll be expecting some sort of reciprocity in doing so.
Though you may not get something in return, but at least you're kind of like putting tabs on them (depends on your personality).
Like working for free, then all of the sudden you charge them an amount that's above the normal range :)

And yeah, people who are truly religious are amazing -- regardless of their situation in life.
But if you're gay, they're going to punch you in the face... hahaha.

@youngsinatra

I'm actually about to listen to a podcast about a history in religion.
At the same time getting an intro to other related stuff I could get out there.
'Cause you mentioned that the truly religious are driven by disrupted Neurochemistry and Physiology in general.
And I've thought of Shamans right away, you know like what you see in Viking History.
...and those folks who speak in tongues too (like in some Christian groups I've seen).

And yeah, I think knowing about how things happen (ie. Science) gets you more based, rather than fantasizing speculation.

===

Me, I believe in God so I can play the drums in the church group I'm assisting with (haha).

Now this might be irrelevant to the exact title of this thread, but being in a community (with strong moral values) gets you to a lot of places.
Not just literally, but the social aspect/responsibilities involved in that practice gives you tangible things to do in life 'that involves others'.
You can actually forget god (and all that religious time wasting activities) in do so.
But the direct effect of just being able to help others, gives you more reason for you to live more.
Most likely people who are coming from a less fortunate background and just seeing them now that they're the total opposite of their parents.
Who were drug addicts (insert any derogatory term) and are also now helping their parents to get back on their life, just gives me an amazing feeling.

[Though you can say why not just start an NGO that helps people? From what I've seen, a strong religious marketing does make it effective; just look at it in the eyes of: refugees, desperate people, or just anyone who are down in their life -- also from what I see, high knowledge or Science is not so available in the less fortunate or is more accepted.]

But would it be possible though to come up with such a community based on doing good to others, without idolizing something (ie. a god)?
'Cause the worshiping part is such a time waster and some of it just becomes an excuse to their mediocrities in life.
'Cause imagine you're this benevolent god, would you want your creation to sing songs &/or dance for you (or other stuff from other versions of religion)?
Now how does that equate to a 'benevolent god', if such of those things are required?

At the moment, I could only conclude that a religion/community must have something (an idol) that they have to fear of.
I think it's this fear that brings people together and that it's also why people like to hope for aliens (though they might be real, but who knows).

I think we need a Dr. Manhattan like figure who just pops-out of nowhere and all of the sudden just preaching something like 'Bodybuilding is the path to Eternal Life'.
To my imagination, I think most of the population would then be 'religious' about their 'biohacking' endeavors.
And all these countries would then be forgetting about their useless race on who's #1 (they'll probably battle it out on who has the best physique though).

Last edited:

Xavage

God = Absolute Reality = Absolute Truth
Good and Evil exist. We must align ourself to Absolute truth, God, Beauty and Goodness (virtue).

B

Blaze

I think the truly religious are often driven by in general.

Subjective at best, and offensive to suggest that disrupted neurochemistry and physiology is what is going on if an individual perceives and deduces that God or some kind of designer must exist based on the obvious immense complexity of the design in our universe. I would not call most religious people crazy for deducing God must exist and it would be equally unfair to bring that same criticism to bear on a non-believer deducing that they do not think God exists. . Most people regardless of belief or unbelief are honest individuals trying to comprehend the existence they find themselves in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ras

Went to catholic school for 4 years and ended up with major depressive disorder and suicidal ideation by the age 10 (had to go to therapy and put on meds). When I think back to that age, I used to manically pray that God didn't destroy us with another flood due to all the war and violence in the world, and also to save my non-christian friends from burning in hell for eternity. I basically lived in terror of God's wrath. Also learned about the crusades around that time.
If you would have read the Bible yourself, you would have been fine. But the Roman Catholic Church belongs to Satan, so that didn't help you.

P

Peatness

If you would have read the Bible yourself, you would have been fine. But the Roman Catholic Church belongs to Satan, so that didn't help you.
This made me laugh, it shouldn't the scars have not healed

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals