Anybody know the book on vision Peat recommended

Drareg

I've been searching this forum for a book recommendation Peat gave on vision along time ago, I know someone posted it on here, I lost the download since changing devices, the problem is I can't remember the author or name, I can remember getting great insights from how our vision works, it was really impressive, I just flicked through it randomly at the time, I was working on other things so put it down for a period and now lost it.

Ring any bell's with anyone?

Grapelander

May have been William Bates.

book: The Art of Seeing: Aldous Huxley

During his boyhood ALDOUS HUXLEY was for 18 months almost blind, and although he partially recovered he had always to rely on the aid of powerful glasses. In 1939 his sight threatened complete failure. It was at this juncture that he heard of the Dr. W. H. Bates Method of visual re-education and of a teacher who was conspicuously successful in using the method. Within two months he was reading without spectacles and without strain or fatigue, and now his vision is twice as good as it was when he wore spectacles, and before he had learned the “art of seeing”.

Korven

During his boyhood ALDOUS HUXLEY was for 18 months almost blind, and although he partially recovered he had always to rely on the aid of powerful glasses. In 1939 his sight threatened complete failure. It was at this juncture that he heard of the Dr. W. H. Bates Method of visual re-education and of a teacher who was conspicuously successful in using the method. Within two months he was reading without spectacles and without strain or fatigue, and now his vision is twice as good as it was when he wore spectacles, and before he had learned the “art of seeing”.

What a wonderful youtube channel. I feel like I have learned quite a lot after just watching a couple of her videos.

I'm not sure why but I hate wearing glasses. I don't like the look of them and I feel like they restrict my awareness/perception of reality. I'm going to do a trial of not wearing then whenever possible and exercise my long distance vision more.

Grapelander

Bumped into this today in my research - serendipity.
book: Take Off Your Glasses & See - Jacob Lieberman

Ray Gottlieb also believes that “a major cause of nearsightedness and other visual problems is the tension generated by current methods of education.” He described how this occurs in an interview in the Brain/Mind Bulletin:
Emphasizing the acquisition of information encourages excessive concentration, he said. “In school we are taught to squeeze and hold on to information—to be sure we’ve ‘got it’— rather than let it come to us.”
As a result we learn to constrict our breathing, heartbeat and other physical movement—even blinking—in order to concentrate. .. .
The educational system, he said, discourages or ignores what should be the first step in learning—self-awareness. ...
When Gottlieb asks young patients to “count to 10 and clap your hands on the number 5,” many have no awareness of whether they performed the act correctly. “They often answer, ‘I don’t know—you tell me,’ as if it is not their business to know such things.”
Several studies have confirmed the influence of school stress in triggering myopia, but this effect can also be reversed: One researcher documented “a very significant decrease in myopia in an elementary school program designed to reduce stress and anxiety.”

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Not this unfortunately, thanks.
@haidut Do you recall this book?

Grapelander

Another guess: Meir Schneider

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96hNrcUfwAk

meir.JPG

mayku-T-meelo

I'm also very interested. I remember in the email exchanges thread Peat explained to someone about how he is experiencing the process of visual perception and he was linking it somewhat generally to consciousness. Maybe there are some clues in the bibliography of Mind and Tissue? Currently I don't have the access to the book, but I know a portion was dedicated to mind imagery and visual perception.

Grapelander

Interesting puzzle - I am looking at Ray Peat 'Mind & Tissue' to see what opens up.

CHAPTER 9 A VISUAL SCANNING SYSTEM AND INTENTIONALITY

In the time since 1956, when I started exploring visions and my visual apparatus, I have found that people with philosophical or scientific "training" are often very
intent on telling others what they "can't" see, or mean, or experience. As a result, I have been concerned with the real experiential differences that underlie differences of world-view, values, and attitudes. I think it's proper to refer to these as physiological differences, since the body is obviously doing profoundly different things when it creates new knowledge, and when it enforces old knowledge against the new, etc.

Part of Maslow's definition of the self-actualizing person was the ability to perceive truthfully. Reich called truth "a natural function," "an integral part of the organism," and "a function most akin to growth." The form of the act of perception will vary in a systematic way with the form of the perceived world, reinforcing or expanding the particular world-view.

Surrealists are, among other things, people who can sense their own nerves, and so are better phenomenologists than Husserl, who thought bracketing or purifying experience yielded essences, Platonic forms on which to build a firmer science.

Visual "streaming," which varies in coarseness with different conditions, is something anyone can see and explore, but even intelligent people can dismiss it as "only
subjective" or "only blood corpuscles." The fine-grain activity that constitutes ordinary vision is over-looked by nearly everyone: Attending to the object, instead of their perception of it, they may experience the limit of visual acuity, but only rarely do they see their visual acuity, as responsive points.

Staring at a radial (or other repetitive) design will set up intense movements in the "retinal dots” that persist for several seconds on a blank surface, or with the eyes
closed— this is a way to learn to attend to the dots. (Or by attending to the closed right eye, while holding the design in front of the open left eye.)

Since the dots are so much smaller than the fovea, the normal area of "concentrated attention" (whose exact form can be seen by "swinging" the eyes freely in the dark, with a light source illuminating the interior of the eye), it at first seems absurd to try to catch a single point with the attention. Making the effort, though, you discover that this fine but intense effort will make a point "explode" in a blue flash, or extend itself into a "fluorescent" needle or sheet.

This results from an intensification of the normal antidromic "renewing" activity of the optic nerve. With practice, or with outside stimulation from flickering lights,
you can project foveal, or peri-foveal, movies in vivid color.

The experience of "after-motion" in reverse, when a car in which you are riding stops after a period of continuous motion, reveals that motion and apparent size
(the swelling or shrinking of the landscape as it seems to move toward or away from you) are produced by the "intentionality" of moving dot systems.

I remember that either Michael Polanyi or Maurice Merleau-Ponty wrote that we may not be able to perceive the "neural response" which underlies a perception, but here is a case where that kind of "complete" perception is possible.

J. H. Fremlin (Nature 238, 406, 1972) has made an observation (a sensation of structure being built up by staring at flowing water) that suggests how movement of the scanning system can lead to the perception of space, though it doesn't imply that other processes— more internal— may not produce movement in response to projected space. Visual cortex processes probably project a space, which governs and interprets the streaming surface. This is what feels like the "pusher" of energy into the eye, and it's the grainless, dream substance— in Dali's terms, the Camembert cheese, behind the caviar.

The visual "tunnel" that often appears with flickering lights, as illustrated diagrammatically by the rectangles with diagonals representing corners, corresponds to a scanning similar to sand going down a rat-hole. That is, mere external stimulation generates space, depth— or at least the excitement promotes that tendency in our perception.

The "inner” intentional space encompasses the body and generates the space in which objects of other senses can be located— some auditory fibers, for example, travel into the visual cortex, as if sounds were to be perceived visually to a certain extent. In dream states, with body input blocked, ordinary perspectives aren't necessary— depth can be experienced without direct reference to the eyes.

Giraffe

This one?

Attachments

• Phenomenology of Perception (Maurice Merleau-Ponty).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 42

Jinzo

Thanks again but its not this one, its more about the illusions and tricks the eyes play on us.
Meir Schneider is a very interesting guy. I think he claims he was born unable to see, but with doing vision exercises for 9 hours a day was able to see develop almost regular vision

imei3489

is there any hope for grainy vision? mine is beyond messed up, my vision is like a static tv, with floaters, black worms, after images, hppd

Korven

I think this is why I like them. ??

You mean not wearing glasses means you have to squint your way through life... and wearing glasses takes away the need for squinting which is why you like them? Or maybe I am misinterpreting your smilies? :seenoevil:

Korven

On a serious note - after doing the Bates method swinging thingy, and not wearing my glasses, I feel like my eyesight is already improving! I sometimes get clear flashes where things come into focus... but then I lose it immediately. If I can sit at my computer and read things without glasses I would be super happy.

Peachy

You mean not wearing glasses means you have to squint your way through life... and wearing glasses takes away the need for squinting which is why you like them? Or maybe I am misinterpreting your smilies? :seenoevil:
“Restricting the perception/awareness of reality” can be a positive. Bad joke! ?

I’ve only worn them for a year or so, for reading and computer work. It’s amazing how it starts to go downhill quickly once it starts!

I don’t think I’d like it if I always had to wear them.