Anybody Here Working With Anemia And Herpes Too?

KombuchaBaby

The foods to help Iron Deficiency Anemia and Herpes (Zoster/Shingles and other Herpes viruses) seem to be in conflict quite often. :(

I am working on a food plan, supplement plan that will be healing for both. Am adjusting my take on RP's advice, not abandoning it, but changing foods emphasized.

Maybe somebody else is going in this direction? For example, adjusting the lysine/arginine ratio helps a lot of people reduce the frequency of herpes attacks. At the same time, some high lysine low arginine foods can block iron absorption.

Have formed and am forming a plan of attack and hope to heck to be on the right track! Will be using blood labs to measure Anemia progress as well as noticing how I feel. The H. zoster will be measured by attack only. I don't get more than a couple of bumps but can recognize the weird pain and itch that identifies it. :mad:
Both produce fatigue and brain bog as you prob know...

Attachments

• pruritus from Iron Deficiency Anemia Dermnet New Zealand.jpg
    pruritus from Iron Deficiency Anemia Dermnet New Zealand.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

Birdie

That's interesting but nothing like my shingles outbreaks. You can't see mine easily. It's mainly the shingles type pain and itch, rather than a rash. It occurs in certain zones that are aligned with spinal nerves.

Update: my anemia is a thing of the past but am still dealing with the zoster nerve pain and itch. It isn't too bad.

Last edited:
OP
B

Birdie

Also, regarding the comment about protein drinks, Ray Peat warns about their safety. that type of protein has been processed, which can change the amino acid structure and lead to problems.

KombuchaBaby

My first post didn't show up. I prob did something incorrectly. My photo posted only. What I wanted to say was that I suffered for years with a painful, itchy, blistering, herpes-like rash on my neck, upper back, lower back, butt, arms and back of legs. On lower back it would follow the dermatome area just like a herpes breakout. Had 3 negative biopsies but since my blood work confirmed herpes zoster my doctors and I assumed that was what it was. I took lysine and avoided high Arginine foods. I also quit wheat just in case. This went on for years. It wasn't till just recently that my new Dr. tested my ferritin level and found it was low. Now that I have been diagnosed with anemia I have been taking "gentle iron" and after 10 days my rash is almost gone. I never knew there was a rash associated with anemia! I'm still very tired but excited and hopeful! I know it takes time to fully recover. Here again is photo of anemia rash.

642x361_SLIDE_6.jpg

OP
B

Birdie

That's amazing Kombucha. Sorry, I thought you were thinking it might apply to my rash!
You would think that the location alone would have clued in your docs since it would be very weird to have the zoster rash in so many locations.
And it doesn't look like a H. zoster rash to me. And years of misery. But almost gone now after the 10 days of your iron, TG.

My husband has a horrible rash. Nothing like yours. It started in the groin and comes and goes there. Then a few months ago, it started under his arms.
After multiple approaches, it was disappearing under his arms. Then, yesterday a big itchy new spot. So it goes. Of course his doc and dermatological PA have no idea really.

Darn, wish he were anemic! Haha. I was up till 1am reading Peat related articles. These health (sick I mean) things are so interesting to me.
I see you are new in the forum and hope you'll stay around and update too. Welcome, welcome.

KombuchaBaby

Thanks for the welcome! I just had to post the rash because I've been trying to identify it actually since about 2008. It starts out with tingling and then blisters and then itches and hurts! Then it scabs over and stays for months, re erupting many times in same spots! NOTHING made it go away until I was diagnosed with anemia and started b12 and iron. Yes, I am so happy.