Anybody here really cured histamine intolerance?

Motif

I‘m here for years and I would guess no.

I’ve been in many forums etc and it seems that it’s just not possible to cure it.

many theories and even science on how to cure it, but in reality it doesn’t work. Many suggestions on what’s helping everywhere, but that’s about it.

anybody here really got cured? Somebody who really had a histamine intolerance for a long time?

Waynish

The only time I think I had issues with "histamine" was with some red wines... And if I'm exercising & sweating enough, then it doesn't happen.

Nomane Euger

I’ve been in many forums etc and it seems that it’s just not possible to cure it.

many theories and even science on how to cure it, but in reality it doesn’t work. Many suggestions on what’s helping everywhere, but that’s about it.

anybody here really got cured? Somebody who really had a histamine intolerance for a long time?
Pm me

redsun

If you digest food really well and fast but have many allergic reactions and high inflammation and also get histamine reactions from food high in histamine (steak causes me to sneeze) like aged food, or histamine releasers like orange juice and some other fruits or anything that contains a high amount of histamine.. then that is high histamine.

If you have many digestive problems like indigestion, food intolerances, inflammation related bowel problems, that is low histamine. But you can get apparent histamine reactions that give the impression of too much histamine when in fact it is the opposite. These people with time find themselves with less and less food options as they have to keep removing because they can't stand most foods.

Reason I am distinguishing the two is because the way you fix both is very different and people can think they are the same thing, where histamine is the culprit in both situations, when it only is in one.

If you are the former, you need methionine/SAM-e and calcium to reduce histamine stores and avoid folate fortified foods. This takes awhile depending on how bad you have it.

If you are the latter you need to increase histamine and acid secretions via histidine and zinc so you don't get digestive problems from eating food. With time you will be able to digest foods better and be able to have a more varied diet.

OP
M

Motif

I don’t digest fast. More constipatet and OJ is one of the worst things for my histamine intolerance

MidBicep

Very funny how the moment I open the forum to search for a post for histamine intolerance this is the top thread of the front page.
Here's my story. Right now every night at midnight to around 1-2am whenever I'm trying to sleep I get insane itchiness all over my arms and legs and I can't sleep until 3-4am. It's probably the 250g of feta cheese I eat but it just warms me up very well and makes me feel great so no way I'm giving it up.
I've always had seasonal allergy to pollen, couldn't eat tomatoes or oranges because I would react badly to them, as well as many other foods I think.
I was reading now how it's a gut biome problem and I've almost been fully zero starch and zero fiber the last month (with the exception of eating potatoes once every 2 weeks) so that doesn't help.
I remember I had been given medication in the past Xozal/Xyzal (levocetirizine) or Claritin (loratadine) (can't remember which one I was taking and which one my brother was taking) and I felt better.
Any downsides to taking either of those drugs? I'm guessing a sterile gut with sufficient zinc in the diet (or possibly supplementing?) is the long term solution, right?

redsun

Very funny how the moment I open the forum to search for a post for histamine intolerance this is the top thread of the front page.
Here's my story. Right now every night at midnight to around 1-2am whenever I'm trying to sleep I get insane itchiness all over my arms and legs and I can't sleep until 3-4am. It's probably the 250g of feta cheese I eat but it just warms me up very well and makes me feel great so no way I'm giving it up.
I've always had seasonal allergy to pollen, couldn't eat tomatoes or oranges because I would react badly to them, as well as many other foods I think.
I was reading now how it's a gut biome problem and I've almost been fully zero starch and zero fiber the last month (with the exception of eating potatoes once every 2 weeks) so that doesn't help.
I remember I had been given medication in the past Xozal/Xyzal (levocetirizine) or Claritin (loratadine) (can't remember which one I was taking and which one my brother was taking) and I felt better.
Any downsides to taking either of those drugs? I'm guessing a sterile gut with sufficient zinc in the diet (or possibly supplementing?) is the long term solution, right?

You are a histadelic. You do not have a gut problem, you just have too much histamine. Hence itching, seasonal allergies, insomnia. Its also typical for histadelics to react to oranges (citrus trigger histamine release) or anything also that triggers histamine release or contains high amounts of histamine (e.g. peanuts, fermented food).

Of course medication will help as it antagonizes histamine receptors but you are just overloaded. If you bring the histamine load in the body down you will improve and not need medication. No medicine is really safe long term to take. You need to take SAM-e/methionine and possibly calcium.

Zinc helps increase cortisol which controls histamine. It will also make your sleep onset earlier usually (make you want to sleep earlier). So taking zinc can help in this manner. Also, zinc is a positive allosteric modulator of the beta 2 adrenergic receptor, increasing the affinity of epinephrine for this receptor. When beta 2 receptor activates, it inhibits histamine release from mast cells. Anything that increases catecholamines (norepinephrine, epinephrine) helps high histamine types. Caffeine is an example.

Elize

Redsun thanks so much

Could you please recommend a zinc for us. Is calcium carbonate okay?

Last edited:

Dlt

You are a histadelic. You do not have a gut problem, you just have too much histamine. Hence itching, seasonal allergies, insomnia. Its also typical for histadelics to react to oranges (citrus trigger histamine release) or anything also that triggers histamine release or contains high amounts of histamine (e.g. peanuts, fermented food).

Of course medication will help as it antagonizes histamine receptors but you are just overloaded. If you bring the histamine load in the body down you will improve and not need medication. No medicine is really safe long term to take. You need to take SAM-e/methionine and possibly calcium.

Zinc helps increase cortisol which controls histamine. It will also make your sleep onset earlier usually (make you want to sleep earlier). So taking zinc can help in this manner. Also, zinc is a positive allosteric modulator of the beta 2 adrenergic receptor, increasing the affinity of epinephrine for this receptor. When beta 2 receptor activates, it inhibits histamine release from mast cells. Anything that increases catecholamines (norepinephrine, epinephrine) helps high histamine types. Caffeine is an example.

How much zinc do you think would be wise to start off with? Would AM supplementation work best to get the morning cortisol to rise or doesn’t it matter?

Can red light help reduce histamine in anyway?

Great timing on this post as I am coming down from a bad histamine reaction which I think was caused by the gelatin in Tirosint or the T4 causing some sort of reaction. It’s the only new variable in what I am ingesting. Head pressure, itchy eyes, nausea, flushing, etc.

I have obviously have not found a cure.

OP
M

Motif

what do you think is wrong with me? Seborrhoic eczema in my face. Dermatitis on scalp. Tight muscles everywhere. Ad(sometimes H)D.
Digestion always sucked.
some of the worst triggers that come to my mind are OJ and Peanut butter. I made Jogurt with lots of dates and raisins and dried apricots and that was hell too.

MidBicep

Wait, so you're telling me that if I just drink some lemon juice which immediately sends me to the toilet (for like 4-5 times and I had a horrible experience last time I squeezed 1 lemon into OJ) I will release histamine and sleep better at least eventually? I don't like playing around with supplements too much since I've never seen much improvement in my health, be it vitamins (D,K) or hormones (NDT)
Otherwise what are some foods aside from citrus that will help with this issue and possibly not make me spend my days in the toilet? I already have a good calcium to phosphate ratio and I'm hitting daily the zinc RDA, just not the copper, folate and magnesium ones.

Elize

MidBicep look at my posts there's a food list that can help. Histamine information post

redsun

Redsun thanks so much

Could you please recommend a zinc for us. Is calcium carbonate okay?

Calcium citrate is preferred. Calcium carbonate reduces stomach acid (im pretty sure this is what tums is).

Zinc gluconate, zinc glycinate work. 15mg for starters with protein in the meal. Best taken in an afternoon meal( past 5pm) as it does make you wind down, depending on the person.

How much zinc do you think would be wise to start off with? Would AM supplementation work best to get the morning cortisol to rise or doesn’t it matter?

Can red light help reduce histamine in anyway?

Great timing on this post as I am coming down from a bad histamine reaction which I think was caused by the gelatin in Tirosint or the T4 causing some sort of reaction. It’s the only new variable in what I am ingesting. Head pressure, itchy eyes, nausea, flushing, etc.

I have obviously have not found a cure.
15mg is good and probably the max as a supplement you should take as you should easily get 10-15mg from food anyways.

If you reacted to a substance it should go away with enough time avoiding it.

what do you think is wrong with me? Seborrhoic eczema in my face. Dermatitis on scalp. Tight muscles everywhere. Ad(sometimes H)D.
Digestion always sucked.
some of the worst triggers that come to my mind are OJ and Peanut butter. I made Jogurt with lots of dates and raisins and dried apricots and that was hell too.
Tightness of the muscles I am not sure but if you feel mentally tense in general it could be due to high glutamate, low GABA.

If digestion is bad you are not a high histamine case. You are likely reacting to something else in these foods. Rather they can be worsening your thyroid function. Copper gives me dry skin easily, maybe the connection is there (eating lots of high copper foods but not enough zinc and iron). Do you consume zinc rich foods regularly? As in beef, pork, oysters, dairy? If not that is the first thing to look at when dealing with any kind of skin problem.

Zinc is intimately involved with skin health, and is necessary to make GABA (activates B6 to make GABA), and antagonizes NMDA. You may lack zinc if you have very poor intake of it daily. B2 may help the skin as well, but like copper it tends to promote skin dryness.

Wait, so you're telling me that if I just drink some lemon juice which immediately sends me to the toilet (for like 4-5 times and I had a horrible experience last time I squeezed 1 lemon into OJ) I will release histamine and sleep better at least eventually? I don't like playing around with supplements too much since I've never seen much improvement in my health, be it vitamins (D,K) or hormones (NDT)
Otherwise what are some foods aside from citrus that will help with this issue and possibly not make me spend my days in the toilet? I already have a good calcium to phosphate ratio and I'm hitting daily the zinc RDA, just not the copper, folate and magnesium ones.

You could never eat enough histamine triggering foods to empty histamine stores. This is why you absolutely need methionine or SAM-e to deactivate histamine to reduce histamine load overtime. SAM-e is what deactivates histamine in the CNS (where it can cause problems like insomnia). This process still takes forever for most histadelics because they have tons of histamine and they are undermethylated but that's the only way to deal with it really. That and low protein diets to reduce intake of histidine (precursor to histamine).

Getting enough riboflavin and copper in the DAO can help metabolize histamine but in the CNS SAM-e is needed to get rid of histamine.

MidBicep

MidBicep look at my posts there's a food list that can help. Histamine information post
Will check it, thanks
Calcium citrate is preferred. Calcium carbonate reduces stomach acid (im pretty sure this is what tums is).

Zinc gluconate, zinc glycinate work. 15mg for starters with protein in the meal. Best taken in an afternoon meal( past 5pm) as it does make you wind down, depending on the person.

15mg is good and probably the max as a supplement you should take as you should easily get 10-15mg from food anyways.

If you reacted to a substance it should go away with enough time avoiding it.

Tightness of the muscles I am not sure but if you feel mentally tense in general it could be due to high glutamate, low GABA.

If digestion is bad you are not a high histamine case. You are likely reacting to something else in these foods. Rather they can be worsening your thyroid function. Copper gives me dry skin easily, maybe the connection is there (eating lots of high copper foods but not enough zinc and iron). Do you consume zinc rich foods regularly? As in beef, pork, oysters, dairy? If not that is the first thing to look at when dealing with any kind of skin problem.

Zinc is intimately involved with skin health, and is necessary to make GABA (activates B6 to make GABA), and antagonizes NMDA. You may lack zinc if you have very poor intake of it daily. B2 may help the skin as well, but like copper it tends to promote skin dryness.

You could never eat enough histamine triggering foods to empty histamine stores. This is why you absolutely need methionine or SAM-e to deactivate histamine to reduce histamine load overtime. SAM-e is what deactivates histamine in the CNS (where it can cause problems like insomnia). This process still takes forever for most histadelics because they have tons of histamine and they are undermethylated but that's the only way to deal with it really. That and low protein diets to reduce intake of histidine (precursor to histamine).

Getting enough riboflavin and copper in the DAO can help metabolize histamine but in the CNS SAM-e is needed to get rid of histamine.
I'm still a bit confused (probably the insomnia...) but what I'm getting from your post is that unless I take a certain supplement I won't be able to fix my health, despite getting enough methionine from my diet (3.2mg), zinc (25mg) and B2 (4.3mg)? Unless I have misunderstood, it sounds pretty fishy to me.

redsun

Citrate being citrus make me itchy

Citrate is just citric acid which is an intermediate in the citric acid cycle. It is not an allergen. Its not what makes citrus allergenic.

Will check it, thanks

I'm still a bit confused (probably the insomnia...) but what I'm getting from your post is that unless I take a certain supplement I won't be able to fix my health, despite getting enough methionine from my diet (3.2mg), zinc (25mg) and B2 (4.3mg)? Unless I have misunderstood, it sounds pretty fishy to me.

Well if you knew anything about what histadelia is, it does not sound fishy at all. They tend to have genetic mutations in their methylation cycle or in other enzymes causing histamine levels to build up (because they cannot produce SAM-e in high amounts to deactivate all the histamine they make, so histamine stores build up). They also almost always have high levels of folate, and folate in foods makes it worse.

All foods high in methionine or even higher in histidine 9 times out of 10. Its more so about high folate levels, and impaired methylation due to genetic mutations. These problem is made worse in the modern day by those susceptible to excess histamine because of folic acid fortification in foods.

You can read about histadelia and the symptoms that often accompany it in this pdf I link in this post.

Attachments

• The_Schizophrenias_Ours_to_Conquer-Riordan-Clinic-Books (1).pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 298

Vins7

If you digest food really well and fast but have many allergic reactions and high inflammation and also get histamine reactions from food high in histamine (steak causes me to sneeze) like aged food, or histamine releasers like orange juice and some other fruits or anything that contains a high amount of histamine.. then that is high histamine.

If you have many digestive problems like indigestion, food intolerances, inflammation related bowel problems, that is low histamine. But you can get apparent histamine reactions that give the impression of too much histamine when in fact it is the opposite. These people with time find themselves with less and less food options as they have to keep removing because they can't stand most foods.

Reason I am distinguishing the two is because the way you fix both is very different and people can think they are the same thing, where histamine is the culprit in both situations, when it only is in one.

If you are the former, you need methionine/SAM-e and calcium to reduce histamine stores and avoid folate fortified foods. This takes awhile depending on how bad you have it.

If you are the latter you need to increase histamine and acid secretions via histidine and zinc so you don't get digestive problems from eating food. With time you will be able to digest foods better and be able to have a more varied diet.
How have you found out all this information? Really interesting. I have read other of your advices and info, are you a doc or hace some medicine studies?

redsun

How have you found out all this information? Really interesting. I have read other of your advices and info, are you a doc or hace some medicine studies?

Lot of time spent reading and re-reading and make my own connections, such as books written by orthomolecular doctors (Pfeiffer, Hoffer), articles, scientifix studies. Only way you can learn these things is tons of reading and learning. If you interested in it (like I was obsessively) you will learn.