Anybody Here Eating Buckwheat?

Uselis

I remember long before Peat I used to eat it as staple. Mixed with butter and salted tastes more than just ok.

Out of curiosity I plugged what a cup of buckwheat contains and wow! Hits RDA of magnesium, coper and manganese. Has around 50% of B3 and B5 and almost 40% of Zinc. Not to mention relatively high protein and easy cooking method (takes around 20min).

Did Ray mentioned anything bad or at all about it? Whats been your experience?

Thanks

Collden

Just discovered buckwheat pasta (Soba) is a very popular dish in Japan. Tastes delicious, not as sour as buckwheat bread or pancakes can be.

gaze

its too high in phosphorus to be a staple, and can be hard to digest for weak people

PaRa

I like it but as a staple it make me hypothyroid/oxalate : hand dry like hell, always cold, way more muscle soreness, eyes burning ...
Make sure you have dairies with it to limit these effects (oxalates)

Adrienlcrx

I totally agree with @PaRa I find buckwheat hard to digest
It increases serotonin too I think with this bad digestion for me

nikotrope

I have bad digestion but it's making red meat and pork hard to digest, not whole grains. I am currently doing a pescetarian diet and all my digestion troubles have vanished. I eat oats, buckwheat, and wheat daily, losing weight, and my inflammation is way down. Milk, eggs, and fish for the protein.

A little bit of vitamin E and C with each meal seems to have made the transition easier.

gately

Some people will do very well on buckwheat. There's alternative cancer treatments centered around buckwheat (kasha) in Russia. (No idea how effective they are.) But I have seen buckwheat work for some people like magic if their digestion is up for the task, and they're the right constitution. My understanding is that in Korean Sasang Constitutional Medicine, it's believed that the rare Tae-Yang (roughly five percent of population?) type, essentially can't get better without buckwheat, because all other grains or pseudo-grains are poison for them. (Of course, I seriously doubt they were trialing grain-free diets when they came up with this method.)

I've also seen many Colitis patients handle buckwheat in the form of toasted buckwheat porridge (Russian Kasha) almost uniquely well (the only other grain-like substance I've seen almost universally tolerated by Colitis patients is Quinoa.)

It's also believed in some (Neo) traditional medicine circles, like Macrobiotics, that buckwheat is only suited towards people living in harshly cold climates, due to its 'yang' properties. I take this with a grain of salt, as it doesn't seem to have a major yang quality to my tongue, and macrobiotics gets a lot wrong. But it should be obvious enough that buckwheat was traditionally eaten by northerners.

My main (hypothetical) concern with buckwheat-based diets is the manganese. Perhaps the iron and copper in buckwheat keep the manganese in balance, and thus why it worked fine as a Russian staple (or perhaps something else ubiquitous in the diet like the sulfur in all the cabbage they ate kept things balanced) but I've seen people who drink too much maple syrup or pineapple juice (very high in manganese) develop high manganese issues, confirmed via hair analysis, which seem to first exhibit themselves as mental issues, and lead to Parkinson's-like symptoms. I've seen this happen with my own mother, and I myself seem to accumulate manganese fairly quickly: even a few bottles of pineapple juice per month is enough to raise my hair levels beyond the normal range and give me some odd phobias which vanish as the manganese comes back down.

Last edited:

PaRa

I totally agree with @PaRa I find buckwheat hard to digest
It increases serotonin too I think with this bad digestion for me

its not hard to digest IME, in fact I find it’s quite easy (no bloat etc) but it’s the oxalates and the anti thyroid effect that wreaks me

Infarouge

Buckwheat honey is the bomb. Super mineral rich (opaque) with a consistency like peanut butter. It has a very strong flavor which you should become fond of.

Nuancé

I eat buckwheat flour cooked as crepes often, it's a traditional recipe here in Brittany (France). Tasty and nutritious.

Someone else has noticed that buckwheat batter ferment quickly ?

bk_

I have bad digestion but it's making red meat and pork hard to digest, not whole grains. I am currently doing a pescetarian diet and all my digestion troubles have vanished. I eat oats, buckwheat, and wheat daily, losing weight, and my inflammation is way down. Milk, eggs, and fish for the protein.

A little bit of vitamin E and C with each meal seems to have made the transition easier.

For the pork/beef problem you may want to check if you have low stomach acid or an alpha-gal allergy.

nikotrope

For the pork/beef problem you may want to check if you have low stomach acid or an alpha-gal allergy.

I probably don't have alpha-gal allergy or I would have bigger issues I think. For the low stomach acid it's a chicken-egg problem. Inflammation is one of the causes and beef/pork is causing inflammation. But now that it's better I'll check how I can improve it.

bk_

I probably don't have alpha-gal allergy or I would have bigger issues I think. For the low stomach acid it's a chicken-egg problem. Inflammation is one of the causes and beef/pork is causing inflammation. But now that it's better I'll check how I can improve it.

I personally found coffee with a meal to be profoundly helpful for low stomach acid. Prior to that I was taking 5-6 500mg pills of Betaine HCL per meal to handle a high protein meal like meat. Adding coffee by Peat’s recommendation caused me to vomit out of excess acid (same happens when I take too much Betaine HCL) and eventually had to reduce the dose to zero pills.

nikotrope

I personally found coffee with a meal to be profoundly helpful for low stomach acid. Prior to that I was taking 5-6 500mg pills of Betaine HCL per meal to handle a high protein meal like meat. Adding coffee by Peat’s recommendation caused me to vomit out of excess acid (same happens when I take too much Betaine HCL) and eventually had to reduce the dose to zero pills.

Thanks for the recommendations. Do you think the effect comes from the caffeine or something else in coffee? I used to take betaine HCL and there was a noticeable effect but not big enough for me to continue. I'll try again. What brand did you use?

bk_

Thanks for the recommendations. Do you think the effect comes from the caffeine or something else in coffee? I used to take betaine HCL and there was a noticeable effect but not big enough for me to continue. I'll try again. What brand did you use?

I mainly used NOW brand Betaine HCL. I tried other brands but I feel like the NOW brand was more pure (I had severe eczema and react to anything bad). I had serious gut issues and had trouble handling meat or protein so after some research and tests I found I had hypochlorhydria (a classic symptom of low metabolism/hypothyroidism). For betaine HCL I went as high of a dose as possible before discomfort (stomach ache, nausea) starts. I found initially it’d take up to 11 500mg pills to digest a protein rich meal, I basically wasn’t producing stomach acid and my temps were mid 35 Celsius with a pulse rate of 60 BPM and TSH on the high end. When I began NDT thyroid that quickly dropped to 5 pills per meal.

I believe the effects of coffee is both from caffeine which boosts metabolism including the stomach lining itself and the bitters that are present in it such as quinine.

Last edited:

bornamachine

Buckwheat is staple in Russia back in 90s even though imported and hard to get was mandated to us in school.

Ive never had side effects from BW. Its helped me through some horrible times.

Boil, drain, fry with butter. Must eat warm.
Or boil in milk with sugar/salt. Eat warm.
Do not boil, then add to milk, boil IN milk.

Michael Mohn

A lot of the antinutrients are on the surface of buckwheat. I soak and sprout them over night and a brown liquid forms that I wash off. Then it can be cooked into porridge or other dishes.

Jon2547

I've been using Buckwheat flour. What would be the best way to get rid of the anti-nutrients?