Any Women Taking ProgestE Continuously?

Peata

I've decided to try this for a few months, instead of starting and stopping it.

My question is, if you take it continously do you vary the dose during first half of cycle and increase it second half - or do you stay on the same high dose all month long?

I'm taking 200 - 300 mg. now during luteal phase, and wondering if I should dose that high all month or go by symptoms (oil, acne, etc.). I'm leaning toward keeping it high. I just want to "push through" this estrogen dominance once and for all if I can.

arinryan

I have been doing this for close to a year, mainly because it was helping me sleep. My cycle was so irregular anyway, I didn't try to time it. I would just take 5 drops at night before going to sleep, every night. If I wake up and can't sleep well, or feel especially anxious, take a few more. (The increased anxiety seemed to come and go like a cyclical estrogen effect.)

I have been able to sleep better since starting thyroid (which also got rid of my cystic acne, progesterone never did.) So I stopped taking progesterone about two weeks ago. Still waiting for that looong over due period though!
I also noticed my libido dropped some when I quit, which was too bad. I would like to try to wait until fall before starting it again, and I think I will try to stick with a cycle of sorts then, if I can figure it out.

I

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks for your reply, arinryan. That's interesting the thyroid got rid of your acne. My skin looks good now too that I started thyroid, and I'm also taking a lot of ProgestE.

tara

Hi Peata, I've been using Progest-E every day for about 6 mths. When I started, I intended to cycle 2wks on 2wks off or lower, but once I started it, I didn't want to stop or reduce.
I'm late forties, not yet menopausal (I don't think, I'd only missed one or two periods in the last few years), and don't intend to reproduce any more.

The first 2 of months I stood in front of a mirror to squirt and rub 3 drops on gums 5/day. It didn't stop my period. Now I am much less systematic. I squirt it straight into my mouth, meauring only by feel when I think about it. Probably more than 3 drops, usually still 5/day but sometimes more if symptoms threaten. On rare occasions much more. Always last thing at night, and usually once during night when I wake up (with small snack). I've used about a bottle a month,but haven't calculated what that means per day. I suspect it would be better if I was more consistent. Lately my period has been bit more irregular - would surprise me if that is a consequence of higher dose and inconsistency. My symptoms are usu worse around day 1-4, and again around day 10-12, so probably when estrogen is most dominant (am I understanding this right?)

My key issue is frequent debilitating migraines. Whenever my head fees a little off, I take progesterone, and usu within 15 minutes my brain feels better again. I also have a snack or sweet drink, and sometimes aspirin and/or a little coffee. I spend more time these days feeling clear headed, but it doesn't always work, and the main problem is still there - I still get just as many migraines as before I started supplementing progest-E, and once it's going, even much larger doses haven't stopped them. I wonder whether a consistently higher dose would help, but so far not drawn to. By now I feel very dependent on the Progest-E - the thought of running out scares me.

Good luck, whatever you try.