Any Vasectomy Concerns?

Big White Mint

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting this procedure done. From what I understand, it shouldn't affect my production of testosterone. Are there any other possible effects I should consider?

Thanks.

4peatssake

Big White Mint said:
Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting this procedure done. From what I understand, it shouldn't affect my production of testosterone. Are there any other possible effects I should consider?

Thanks.
The only information I could come across from Ray Peat with respect of vasectomy was this comment posted within an article by Lita Lee. (BTW, I used Dan Wich's Handy Dan-dy Ray Peat Search Engine to find this. This search engine is an amazing resource for us! Thank you again Dan!)

Notes from Dr. Ray Peat
In a hormone survey of males who had emotional problems and impotence following vasectomy, as well as females who had nervous or emotional problems following tubal ligation, both groups had normal hormone levels immediately following surgery except for decreased progesterone. Taking a small dose of progesterone (5-10 mg) daily for only one week cured both males and females. Why? According to Peat, vasectomy sends a signal to the testicles to stop making progesterone. Tubal ligation as well as the IUD, sends the same signal to the ovaries. Peat’s research refers only to the initial weeks following the surgery. It does not apply to the long-term immune system, allergenic and carcinogenic effects described by Roberts.

Here is a link to her article entitled Prostate Problems

About 3/4 of the page down is a section called Is Vasectomy Safe?
The whole thing may be worth a read - for probably all men. :2cents

OP
Big White Mint

Big White Mint

Thanks for the resources.

This is about what I expected given the nature of this procedure. Damn...birth control is such a tricky issue. I don't want my girl on hormones. I've read that IUD can be aggravating. Condoms are aggravating to both of us given our sensitive skin and alter the experience too much.

CoolTweetPete

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I'm curious if anyone has encountered any new information about this topic.

I am interested in having this procedure done, but most of the information I've found on negative effects relate to a decreased ability to synthesize progesterone. I don't know if supplementation would be a good long term solution to this.

Sol

Thank you for resurrecting a dead thread :hattip

My husband had a vasectomy about 8 years ago. I wouldn't advise doing it. After the vasectomy, he started having a lot of testicle pain. Initially it was not frequent and not strong, but it slowly grew to get unbearable. The doctor who did it said there was no problem at all, they have no clue. My husband went through all kinds of exams, they found nothing. One doctor said that some vasectomized men have testicle pain after the surgery so he offered to reverse it. Doctors know nothing about hormones, they can't find the problem and they only offer to cut whatever.

That sent us to the internet, searching for a reason for that pain. It's hard to accept that you have a pain and the doctors don't know what that is. If you search it you will find that men who had vasectomy done are much more susceptible to many diseases.

Anyway, after finding Ray Peat, he has taken Progest-E for some time, now he's taking pregnenolone, DHEA, Nettle root and a bunch of other things because he's a Type 2 Diabetic. Occasionally he may have a little pain or some discomfort, but it's not as bad as it used to be. I can't say for sure that his problems were caused or aggravated by the vasectomy for sure, but I really think it's the lack of progesterone that causes it. I found the pain very much correlated to his ingestion of alcohol which is estrogenic.

If you do the Progest-E right after the vasectomy you may be fine, hopefully. I just wanted to throw my :2cents

CoolTweetPete

Thank you for sharing your experience, Sol. I am finding more and more anecdotal evidence like you and your husband's story as I try to get to the bottom of this.

Alas It seems this procedure is far from innocuous.

Mountain

Just wait for the **** Blender to come out; otherwise known as Vasalgel, among others. I think Vasalgel is either identical or very similar to the well studied (in India), RISUG.
These are probably still a year or two in the future.

T

tca300

I think hormones, surgery, condoms are an individual decision but since it's being brought up.... I haven't used condoms or birth control ever.. Just self control, don't ejaculate inside a woman when she's fertile or if your truly concerned don't ejaculate in her ever. I will probably get a lashing but I don't care, people who say they " pulled out" and their partner still got pregnant are either liars, pulled out while they were finishing, or perhaps should get a fraternity test :(

Daimyo

@tca300

That's true. I don't use condoms, but then you get those pregnancy fears and you promise it to yourself, that you will never sleep with women who would not be a good mother of your child...

michael94

tca300 said:
post 105841 I think hormones, surgery, condoms are an individual decision but since it's being brought up.... I haven't used condoms or birth control ever.. Just self control, don't ejaculate inside a woman when she's fertile or if your truly concerned don't ejaculate in her ever. I will probably get a lashing but I don't care, people who say they " pulled out" and their partner still got pregnant are either liars, pulled out while they were finishing, or perhaps should get a fraternity test :(

Yup condoms suck. Only thing is I noticed after I got my hormones more optimized ( Estrogen/prolactin low-normal ) I would get a bit of precum on top of the increased sexual appetite. Sometimes If I have gone without any release for a while I'll get an erection + some precum without any touching nor penetration. I agree that the chances are still super low of pregnancy but I would just not have sex with the girl If i didn't want a baby with her genes. That's the more natural thing anyway. It's also really hard to resist that urge...ejaculating inside a woman you care about/love is such an amazing feeling beyond the normal joys of sex.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeatThemAll

Had it done more than a decade ago. Overall, the piece of mind (no kids) is well worth the "trouble".

A couple of surprises I had along the way:

- A couple of months after the procedure, I had what the doctor called prostatitis. Gave me antibiotics for a one-time dosage that another doctor called, later, shock-level treatment. Happened only once.

- Every now and then, I get pain in the ducts around my right testicle. The doctor said that the ducts can become obstructed by the 'swimmers' or fluid exchanges. Feels like it indeed (obstruction + blowout). It's sensitive for a day or two, and after it's ok.

Only thing I never really researched, but read once, was that some men apparently develop mental problems because the body starts developping antibodies to its own 'swimmers' and, in the process, does collateral damage to other systems (in short, it can be a long-term autoimmune trigger).

Other than that, nothing special to report.

James_001

Anyone find a clear answer on this? Also interested in more anecdotal evidence if anyone had any to offer...

Peater

Haidut just posted a great reply in another thread, so I searched to see what else the forum had to say. Haiduts post copied below

Of course it does, it increases dramatically risk of lethal prostate cancer and other related cancers like testicular and possibly also bladder. The sperm needs to be periodically expelled and getting it to pool there has already been proven to at the very least reliably cause autoimmune conditions in 50%+ of the men who get it done. Basically, they start developing antibodies to their own sperm. Of course, the claim is that this is completely benign despite the fact that chronic antibody production is known to reliably lead to vascular pathology and CVD.
https://ascopubs.org/doi/full/10.1200/JCO.2013.54.8446
A Vasectomy May Increase Prostate Cancer Risk
https://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(16)44228-7/pdf
Vasectomy, anti-sperm antibodies and arterial damage. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Optimistic evaluation of the safety of vasectomy in spite of apparent absence of deleterious side effects may have been premature. Numerous studies in a variety of vasectomized animal species show that antisperm antibodies develop following vasectomy. In addition, 50% of vasectomized men have been found to have antisperm antibodies following vasectomy. By inference, this would mean a chronic source of antigen-antibody complexes which might lead to extensive vascular pathology, including endothelial damage with consequent acute vasculities and chronic atherosclerosis. A study by Alexander et al. of vasectomized monkeys suggests that the humoral immune response to antigens that often follow vasectomy could enhance diet-induced atherosclerosis. Long-term epidemiological studies of vasectomized men are needed to establish if vascular damage is a consequence of vasectomy. If so, there is an obvious need to eliminate the chronic source of antigen in those already vasectomized."

My numero uno when it comes do dealing with anything medical is this. Unless there is at least 20 years of solid follow up evidence that the intervention causes no observable pathology I would not touch it with a 10-foot pole. And if it is heavily advertised and subsidized then I would not touch it even if it was proven safe. At this point, pretty much everything around you is purposefully designed to either kill, maim, or otherwise incapacitate you for profit, or in service of some sick idiot's grand world order plans.