Any Vasectomy Concerns?

Discussion in 'Male Issues' started by Big White Mint, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Big White Mint

Big White Mint New Member

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting this procedure done. From what I understand, it shouldn't affect my production of testosterone. Are there any other possible effects I should consider?

Thanks.

2. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

The only information I could come across from Ray Peat with respect of vasectomy was this comment posted within an article by Lita Lee. (BTW, I used Dan Wich's Handy Dan-dy Ray Peat Search Engine to find this. This search engine is an amazing resource for us! Thank you again Dan!)

Here is a link to her article entitled Prostate Problems

About 3/4 of the page down is a section called Is Vasectomy Safe?
    The whole thing may be worth a read - for probably all men. :2cents

3. Jenn

Jenn Member

Men with vasectomys tend to develop neck problems in about 20 years after the procedure, according to my health practitioner. Small doses of progestE prevents that.

4. OP
    Big White Mint

Big White Mint New Member

Thanks for the resources.

This is about what I expected given the nature of this procedure. Damn...birth control is such a tricky issue. I don't want my girl on hormones. I've read that IUD can be aggravating. Condoms are aggravating to both of us given our sensitive skin and alter the experience too much.

5. Jenn

Jenn Member

Honestly, messing with fertility is damaging to anyone's body. However, a man needs a drop/day to compensate, a woman needs a lot more.

6. CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete Member

Telecommunications / Health & Fitness
    Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I'm curious if anyone has encountered any new information about this topic.

I am interested in having this procedure done, but most of the information I've found on negative effects relate to a decreased ability to synthesize progesterone. I don't know if supplementation would be a good long term solution to this.

7. Sol

Sol Member

Thank you for resurrecting a dead thread :hattip

My husband had a vasectomy about 8 years ago. I wouldn't advise doing it. After the vasectomy, he started having a lot of testicle pain. Initially it was not frequent and not strong, but it slowly grew to get unbearable. The doctor who did it said there was no problem at all, they have no clue. My husband went through all kinds of exams, they found nothing. One doctor said that some vasectomized men have testicle pain after the surgery so he offered to reverse it. Doctors know nothing about hormones, they can't find the problem and they only offer to cut whatever.

That sent us to the internet, searching for a reason for that pain. It's hard to accept that you have a pain and the doctors don't know what that is. If you search it you will find that men who had vasectomy done are much more susceptible to many diseases.

Anyway, after finding Ray Peat, he has taken Progest-E for some time, now he's taking pregnenolone, DHEA, Nettle root and a bunch of other things because he's a Type 2 Diabetic. Occasionally he may have a little pain or some discomfort, but it's not as bad as it used to be. I can't say for sure that his problems were caused or aggravated by the vasectomy for sure, but I really think it's the lack of progesterone that causes it. I found the pain very much correlated to his ingestion of alcohol which is estrogenic.

If you do the Progest-E right after the vasectomy you may be fine, hopefully. I just wanted to throw my :2cents

8. CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete Member

Telecommunications / Health & Fitness
    Thank you for sharing your experience, Sol. I am finding more and more anecdotal evidence like you and your husband's story as I try to get to the bottom of this.

Alas It seems this procedure is far from innocuous.

9. Mountain

Mountain Member

Just wait for the **** Blender to come out; otherwise known as Vasalgel, among others. I think Vasalgel is either identical or very similar to the well studied (in India), RISUG.
    These are probably still a year or two in the future.

10. tca300

tca300 Member

I think hormones, surgery, condoms are an individual decision but since it's being brought up.... I haven't used condoms or birth control ever.. Just self control, don't ejaculate inside a woman when she's fertile or if your truly concerned don't ejaculate in her ever. I will probably get a lashing but I don't care, people who say they " pulled out" and their partner still got pregnant are either liars, pulled out while they were finishing, or perhaps should get a fraternity test :(

11. Daimyo

Daimyo Member

There is a high chance your bloodline will go extinct!

12. Daimyo

Daimyo Member

@tca300

That's true. I don't use condoms, but then you get those pregnancy fears and you promise it to yourself, that you will never sleep with women who would not be a good mother of your child...

13. michael94

michael94 Member

Yup condoms suck. Only thing is I noticed after I got my hormones more optimized ( Estrogen/prolactin low-normal ) I would get a bit of precum on top of the increased sexual appetite. Sometimes If I have gone without any release for a while I'll get an erection + some precum without any touching nor penetration. I agree that the chances are still super low of pregnancy but I would just not have sex with the girl If i didn't want a baby with her genes. That's the more natural thing anyway. It's also really hard to resist that urge...ejaculating inside a woman you care about/love is such an amazing feeling beyond the normal joys of sex.

14. PeatThemAll

PeatThemAll Member

Had it done more than a decade ago. Overall, the piece of mind (no kids) is well worth the "trouble".

A couple of surprises I had along the way:

- A couple of months after the procedure, I had what the doctor called prostatitis. Gave me antibiotics for a one-time dosage that another doctor called, later, shock-level treatment. Happened only once.

- Every now and then, I get pain in the ducts around my right testicle. The doctor said that the ducts can become obstructed by the 'swimmers' or fluid exchanges. Feels like it indeed (obstruction + blowout). It's sensitive for a day or two, and after it's ok.

Only thing I never really researched, but read once, was that some men apparently develop mental problems because the body starts developping antibodies to its own 'swimmers' and, in the process, does collateral damage to other systems (in short, it can be a long-term autoimmune trigger).

Other than that, nothing special to report.

15. James_001

James_001 Member

Anyone find a clear answer on this? Also interested in more anecdotal evidence if anyone had any to offer...

16. Peater

Peater Member

Haidut just posted a great reply in another thread, so I searched to see what else the forum had to say. Haiduts post copied below