Any type of body movement or stimulation knocks me out...

OP
U

Unknownuser

Also I've tried pretty much all Peaty supplements. Most of them don't help or make things worse.

The only stuff that has helped me is 1. taking thyroid (natural desiccated thyroid) and 2. taking things that help reduce SIBO and modulate gut microbiome (antimicrobials, antibiotics). Improvements from thyroid are gradual and sneaks up on you over weeks and months. Mega dose fat-soluble thiamine helped with energy levels but caused other issues so wouldn't necessarily recommend.

I read that taking kidney extract should help us to recover. Unfortunately I can not get it here in Turkey. I tried adrenal cortex but it does not work. In a facebook group a women said she tried adrenal cortex as well without effect. Until she took full kidney extract.

What helped me is actually turpentine. But the herx effect got too heavy so I stopped last week. Turpentine should get rid of sibo and candida. Wich is also in small intestines. Called sifo. But the recommended dose is 3 days a week. I did 2 weeks without a break lol.

cjm

But any type of body movement kills me for a week.

My problems started like this. I was an athlete once: ran a 4:40 mile and 2:02 half mile in high school. Cut to 2 years after college and I was numb and spacey for 3 weeks following a sprint triathlon. Overexercise, worry, and reckless supplementing turned into learned helplessness. 6 years later, I had to get my teeth fully reconstructed.

So this is neat, I have an opportunity to give advice to my former self.

Start light with some baking soda in water. Adjust to taste. Continue forever. Do whatever else you were doing. It should help mitigate the brain fog and help you navigate out.

And then always keep this in mind:

"Always being ready to move ahead with problems that had seemed unsolvable is important."

Igorevich

My thyroid always comes back normal. FT3 is on top. I tried 25mcg T3 2-3 days just last week. No effect. What does wonders for me is Hydrocortisone. Just 1.5-2mg predinisolon and I feel like I could run a maraton. Brain function comes back. Full of energy. Happy feelings instead of depresion. Unfortunately I am too afraid of taking it since it can shut down adrenals. Even though these tiny doses should be fine? Until own adrenals recover. I have read that some should take Hydrocortisone for several months until own adrenals are able again to built it's own. I still was not able to do a 4 times cortisol test.
Are you familiar with hormone modulation therapy 101? It is a strict regime to boosting cortisol production by finding your "sweet spot" from pregnenolone/progesterone administration. It is hard to google out because it's from a closed forum I believe. But I have the regime instructions if you are interested.

cjm

But how can it be explained that a massage causes so much fatigue and brain fog?

Nitric oxide release was my rough understanding, but it could be release of acidic metabolic byproducts that are trapped in the muscles.

Here's a similar perspective:

"Excessive pressure can probably cause rhabdomyolysis (“rhabdo”): poisoning by proteins liberated from injured muscle, known as a “muscle crush” injury. It would usually be mild with massage, but not necessarily."

"True rhabdo is a medical emergency in which the kidneys are poisoned by myoglobin from muscle crush injuries. But many physical and metabolic stresses cause milder rhabdo-like states — even just intense exercise, and probably massage as well. There are many well-documented cases of exertional or “white collar” rhabdo, and there is a strong similarity between PMSM and ordinary exercise soreness. A rhabdo cocktail of waste metabolites and by-products of tissue damage is probably why we feel a bit cruddy after all biological stresses and traumas — including massage, sometimes."

Massage Therapy Side Effects: What could possibly go wrong with massage? The risks and side effects of massage therapy are usually mild, but “deep tissue” massage can cause trouble

cjm

I get heavy anxiety, disconnection from my self, heavy feelings of shame, heavy brain fog, no memory, extreme fatigue etc.

I think my body is missing energy and does not get enough oxygen? Also I guess liver is overloaded with all the histamine and toxins?

The problem could be more systemic given your symptoms.

Mast cells produce a full suite of inflammatory mediators (histamine, serotonin, cytokines, prostaglandins) and they can migrate everywhere, including to the brain, especially if the gut is compromised. It's a hop, skip, and a jump from a compromised gut to the blood and mast cells are usually found in the gut. Excellent read from the late Travis:

Mast cells travel to the brain and have been estimated to be the major source of brain histamine in people who have them. The range varies considerably: histologists have counted thousands in some people, and zero in others. These can be induced by immunogenic peptides derived from food, and also can be induced by ionizing radiation.
Mast Cells Travel To The Brain

Baking soda (bicarbonate) generates CO2, which should increase your use of oxygen on a cellular level, but it also helps to silence the mast cells.

CO2 Decreases Mast Cell Sensitivity

Baking soda is not sexy like the hormones or designer dopamine drugs but I am starting to see it as the fundamentally-Peatiest supplement.

Here's a testimonial from a forum user who found great success with baking soda after going through the Peat-approved gauntlet:

I've struggled with what I believe is primarily some kind of gut dysbiosis for possibly my whole life. I was very underweight and tired as a child and developed strong estrogen and low thyroid symptoms as soon as I hit puberty, and have struggled ever since then with histamine intolerance, depression, acne, edema, fatigue, brain fog etc etc. I've tried most Peat related things up til now and NOTHING has come even remotely close to what I'm experiencing with baking soda. ((Peat supplement experiments include thyroid, niacinamide, progesterone, cyproheptadine - all of which I have dosed cautiously and still keep in rotation. I've used oregano oil extensively with limited success (though more success than all other strategies). I've also tried sulfur, diatomaceous earth, charcoal, enzymes, B vits, fat soluble vits, magnesium. High fat, low fat, starch, no starch, vegetables, no vegetables, lots of meat, no meat, lots of dairy, no dairy.)) This $1 lazy solution is clearing up my skin (I'd tried everything, my acne is stubborn clogged pores all over and not hormonal cystic type acne, Accutane still couldn't clear it. It was also very dull and now it's glowing), making me seemingly invincible to stress, to sleep deprivation, to perfumes (my nemesis), to foods I normally can't tolerate like orange juice, everything. My swollen painful eyes which had been an increasingly severe problem no longer look bulgy or feel sore. I'm feeling like a whole person for once and not just like I'm hungover all the time.

Baking Soda Is Helping Me So Much - Looking To Clarify A Few Things

Last edited:

Korven

I read that taking kidney extract should help us to recover. Unfortunately I can not get it here in Turkey. I tried adrenal cortex but it does not work. In a facebook group a women said she tried adrenal cortex as well without effect. Until she took full kidney extract.

What helped me is actually turpentine. But the herx effect got too heavy so I stopped last week. Turpentine should get rid of sibo and candida. Wich is also in small intestines. Called sifo. But the recommended dose is 3 days a week. I did 2 weeks without a break lol.

Interesting that hydrocortisone works so well for you but not adrenal cortex. I have a bottle of adrenal cortex that I haven't tried yet. Taking whole adrenal extract made me feel pretty bad, but that also has adrenaline which isn't great.

I still think that long-term you could benefit from supplementing thyroid, along with getting all the nutrients for energy metabolism from high quality, low PUFA foods (meat, milk, honey, fruits, tubers), getting sun shine/red light etc. Thyroid supplements vary in quality, you may need to try different ones to find something that actually works. IdeaLabs DC has good natural and synthetic T3/T4.

We want quick solutions but the fact is that when it has taken years for the body and organs to degenerate, it will take months and maybe years to get back to a healthy state again. Stress and hypothyroidism causes adaptive changes that can take a lot of effort to overcome. That's why I think taking thyroid - maybe just for a few months - can be super helpful so the body can reverse some of these harmful adaptations.

Some people have seen good results with "adrenal insufficiency" by getting on NDT + adrenal cortex and/or hydrocortisone. Once the adrenals have regenerated and cortisol is back online you can wean off the thyroid. Here's some more info Stop the Thyroid Madness™ - Hypothyroidism and thyroid mistreatment. Another alternative is taking thyroid + pregnenolone to support adrenals. Sodium, vitamin C, magnesium, B vitamins also super important.

Re: candida. Ray has mentioned that you can fix candida issues by taking thyroid and regularly eating antibiotic fibres such as raw carrot salad and well-boiled mushrooms. The key is to reinstate robust digestion and enzymatic secretions, stomach acid, bile and pancreatic juice to kill off pathogens and SIBO/SIFO.

My problems started like this. I was an athlete once: ran a 4:40 mile and 2:02 half mile in high school. Cut to 2 years after college and I was numb and spacey for 3 weeks following a sprint triathlon. Overexercise, worry, and reckless supplementing turned into learned helplessness. 6 years later, I had to get my teeth fully reconstructed.

So this is neat, I have an opportunity to give advice to my former self.

Start light with some baking soda in water. Adjust to taste. Continue forever. Do whatever else you were doing. It should help mitigate the brain fog and help you navigate out.

And then always keep this in mind:

"Always being ready to move ahead with problems that had seemed unsolvable is important."

+1

Lactic acid buildup/cancer metabolism is likely a big culprit when it comes to exercise intolerance. Getting some extra bicarbonate/CO2 can help shift things in the right direction. But there are so many ways for oxidative metabolism to fail that it can be hard to pinpoint the cause of high lactate. Taking some B1 and magnesium bicarbonate could be therapeutic.

Last edited:

cjm

Lactic acid buildup/cancer metabolism is likely a big culprit when it comes to exercise intolerance. Getting some extra bicarbonate/CO2 can help shift things in the right direction. But there are so many ways for oxidative metabolism to fail that it can be hard to pinpoint the cause of high lactate. Taking some B1 and magnesium bicarbonate could be therapeutic.

After so many failed experiments and half-assed protocols, it has been good for morale! to feel the nuance in this shift baking soda is causing.

"When I taught endocrinology, I annoyed my tidy-minded students by urging them to consider the potential hormone-like action of everything in the body, and to think of layers of control, ranging from sugar, salt, and carbon dioxide, through the "official hormones," to complex nervous system actions such as expectancy, and biorhythms"
B. SIGNALS IN THE ABSTRACT (The problem of Alzheimer's disease as a clue to immortality - Part 1)

@unkownuser You should probably asked to be tested by a doctor for Addison's disease. It would be important to rule this out. I would start by reading the Wikipedia page about it and see if you relate to the symptoms. A couple clues that this could be the problem is if you have darker skin than your peers or tan very easily. Or if you look at your gum line and the skin is dark or purple this can be a sign. Addison's can be deadly so I would encourage you to at least be aware of it if you feel like you are having adrenal problems.

Igorevich

@Unknownuser Hi again. I recently reread your posts, and your hydrocortisone experience interested me. Why not test your adrenals fully? It's can be a simple 21-hydroxylase deficiency, or another insufficiency, and you will come back to life with replacement therapy. I am myself considering checking it in the near future.

Sergey

My thyroid always comes back normal. FT3 is on top. I tried 25mcg T3 2-3 days just last week. No effect. What does wonders for me is Hydrocortisone. Just 1.5-2mg predinisolon and I feel like I could run a maraton. Brain function comes back. Full of energy. Happy feelings instead of depresion.
What is your t4 level?

Have you tried (and if yes, how do you react) high dose iodine or anti-herpes medicine, like Valtrex?