Any thoughts on "White Vision" (Vision Corning) pans?

Luis_Marrafon

Hey, guys.

Do you have any information about these White Visions?

They're just beautiful, but I didn't find enough information about their safety.

Are they just as good as the amber ones?

1631049047988.png

Attachments

• 4F9348DF-0185-4967-BEC2-3EE9EE4F9EEE.png
    4F9348DF-0185-4967-BEC2-3EE9EE4F9EEE.png
    154.7 KB · Views: 4

Birdie

No info for you but I use the little white one and several casseroles. Mine are 30 years old and came with my husband.

OP
L

Luis_Marrafon

No info for you but I use the little white one and several casseroles. Mine are 30 years old and came with my husband.
After some research, I'm starting to think that, as the other vision pans, they are good if they were made before 2000.

Those ones were made with the "Vision Deco" line, in the 90s. Think it's ok.

freyasam

Tamara Rubin says vintage opaque things like that have lead. She uses a device to measure it and has been quite the crusader against lead. Says the industry standards are worthless and illogical.

OP
L

Luis_Marrafon

Tamara Rubin says vintage opaque things like that have lead. She uses a device to measure it and has been quite the crusader against lead. Says the industry standards are worthless and illogical.
Do you know where she says that?

I just found this article from her, and she doesn't say anything about those 90s white visions:

Oh, and nothing about the manufacturing year (which is pretty important for those pans, as far as I know).

freyasam

I don't know where she says that. I spent a lot of time reading her website a few months ago and found it in one of her blog posts about vintage kitchenware. She gives some general guidance about vintage items and I believe she says most vintage items have lead unless they are clear glass.

Many people will say lead content doesn't matter if the Lead is bound in the glaze and doesn't come into contact with the food, but she argues that with normal use, items become chipped and can leech lead into food.

OP
L

Luis_Marrafon

I don't know where she says that. I spent a lot of time reading her website a few months ago and found it in one of her blog posts about vintage kitchenware. She gives some general guidance about vintage items and I believe she says most vintage items have lead unless they are clear glass.

Many people will say lead content doesn't matter if the Lead is bound in the glaze and doesn't come into contact with the food, but she argues that with normal use, items become chipped and can leech lead into food.
Hmmm

That's good information. Thanks!

freyasam

Hmmm

That's good information. Thanks!
Sure. Let me know what conclusion you come to if you read more about this. I have a lot of vintage kitchenware so it was a tough pill to swallow but I think she makes compelling arguments, and most other people are going by what industry people, and the industry-dictated govt, say. And I don't trust people who make money off this.

akgrrrl

Sure. Let me know what conclusion you come to if you read more about this. I have a lot of vintage kitchenware so it was a tough pill to swallow but I think she makes compelling arguments, and most other people are going by what industry people, and the industry-dictated govt, say. And I don't trust people who make money off this.
Bear in mind that none of the neato pieces of the Corning and Pyrex lines figured in the harsh detergents and treatment of serveware in the parade of dishwasher appliances. I have used my vintage stuff everyday for 45 years. During this time I eschewed all the teflon, aluminum pans, and ceramic of any kind. Threw away my dishwasher. Consequently, my utility bills went down, none of my dishes have crazed, dull surfaces; they appear glossy brand new. Interestingly, my girlfriend of the same age, who lives on the same aquifer water source as me, but who runs her dishwasher every day and uses the most expensive modern pots, pans and storebought dishware,(bakes with Einkorn, non gluten clean eating athlete family etc) has been in chelation IV therapy for lead, and restricted drinking and eats for over a year.
She is switching to Corelle now.

Jon2547

It would be nice if a manufacturer came along and picked up this tradition. I think they are basically safe. Probably a thousand times safer than teflon and aluminum.

akgrrrl

It would be nice if a manufacturer came along and picked up this tradition. I think they are basically safe. Probably a thousand times safer than teflon and aluminum.
I agree. But the chemical structure of these wont ever be available again, of that we can depend.