Any Recommendations For .001 Mg Scale?

Dean

I've decided this is going to be my winter of great experimentation and am getting ready to order a bunch of different powders, as I don't want a bunch of excipients getting in the way of results. I need a scale that doesn't cost a ton that will be able to accurately measure 5mg of DHEA up to a couple grams of tyrosine, bcaa's, etc. Anyone have one or know of one that fits the bill? Thanks.

OP
D

Dean

That scale among cheaper ones I've seen would work for about everything, but I don't know if it can be counted on to accurately measure 5 mg DHEA. Haidut seems to pretty strictly recommend no more than 5 mg DHEA at a time. I've been taking some 5 mg caps I got from iherb made by Youthful You. I'm not sure about the quality though. They smell kind of funky, for one thing.

Maybe there is another way (with one of those micro scoops?) that I can be sure I'm getting only 5 mg DHEA. I don't think I need that kind of precision on anything else...except for maybe tianeptine, which I have received and am planning to try as soon as I get a scale.

Thanks for the reply and recommendation, Agent.

tara

There was a picture recently of a little metal scoop. I think it might have been advertised as 10mg, but substances have different densities, and I'm not sure what it was 10mg of. I got scales (not quite this good) for measuring vitamins a while ago. But I only ever use my little measuring spoon set.

OP
D

Dean

yeah, that's what I ended up going with....a variety of scoops. Guesstimating will have to do.

frankfranks

You can get a 0.01 mg accurate scale way more cheaply. Get a feel for what 0.01 mg looks like and you can adjust accordingly from there by eyeballing it well enough in my opinion. I find that the tip of an exacto knife blade is perfect for scooping.

BTW, cigarette rolling papers are perfect for parachuting stuff that doesn't taste good. Cut the rolling paper in half, put the powder in the square, fold it up, throw it down the hatch with a swig of water. Much simpler than screwing around with gel caps or whatever.

Amazoniac

I have purebulk niacinamide, and i want to take just 30mg a day because i'm very sensitive to it.

This amount breaks down to less than a hundredth of a teaspoon of the powder.

How do I measure this??
The problem in getting the standard density for this purpose is because I think it's given as if it was a solid block, but there can be clusters varying in compactness and spaces between them that will affect how dense it ends up. The companies usually provide tapped and untapped (bulk) density obtained under specific conditions. The untapped value is lower for being looser, when tapped/agitated it packs together and concentrates toxins in the same space. Untapped value must be more relevant for us.

- Bulk Density and Tapped Density of Powders | USP

"The bulk density of a powder is the ratio of the mass of an untapped powder sample and its volume including the contribution of the interparticulate void volume. Hence, the bulk density depends on both the density of powder particles and the spatial arrangement of particles in the powder bed. The bulk density is expressed in grams per mL (g/mL) although the international unit is kilograms per cubic meter (1 g/mL = 1000 kg/m3 [or mcg/mm3]) because the measurements are made using cylinders. It may also be expressed in grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3). The bulking properties of a powder are dependent upon the preparation, treatment, and storage of the sample, i.e., how it was handled. The particles can be packed to have a range of bulk densities; however, the slightest disturbance of the powder bed may result in a changed bulk density. Thus, the bulk density of a powder is often very difficult to measure with good reproducibility and, in reporting the results, it is essential to specify how the determination was made. The bulk density of a powder is determined by measuring the volume of a known weight of powder sample, that may have been passed through a sieve, into a graduated cylinder (Method I), or by measuring the mass of a known volume of powder that has been passed through a volumeter into a cup (Method II) or a measuring vessel (Method III). Method I and Method III are favored."

"The tapped density is an increased bulk density attained after mechanically tapping a container containing the powder sample. Tapped density is obtained by mechanically tapping a graduated measuring cylinder or vessel containing a powder sample. After observing the initial powder volume or weight, the measuring cylinder or vessel is mechanically tapped, and volume or weight readings are taken until little further volume or weight change is observed. The mechanical tapping is achieved by raising the cylinder or vessel and allowing it to drop under its own weight a specified distance by either of three methods as described []. Devices that rotate the cylinder or vessel during tapping may be preferred to minimize any possible separation of the mass during tapping down."​

For uniformity:
- Mesh (scale) - Wikipedia

- Any Recommendations For A Legit Niacinamide Supplement? Is The NOW! Foods Niacinamide Fake?

1 (leveled) teaspoon = 4.9-something mL.
If values of bulk density are provided in g/mL, that would be the amount in 1/5 of a teaspoon.
For a bulk density of 0.5 g/mL, it's going to be 500 mg/(1/5 teaspoon).

Any container can be used to measure lower volumes or alternatively you can line up the compound if you have an idea of the total amount and take fractions of it. This seems dangerous, should be regulated as drugs. But for example, in a different case where you know how much a drop contains, you can run it through a knife (assuming that it spreads evenly, might not) and use 20% of it.

It's far more reliable to consult the company for serving size or measure with an accurate scale (as suggested by milkboi), but better than taking it arbitrarily. The guy linked in my signature has a video explaning why relying on volume is practical but tricky (expansion), and weight not having this problem.

Since you'd only need to visualize it once and the variation between batches or manufacturers must not be extreme, it could be interesting for a forum member to take pictures of a pile of each substance next to a ruler or standard international objects (such as plastic bottle cap, capsule, screwed Edison and other odsolete items), it would be an useful guide to have.

Last edited: