Any Problem With Normal Instant Coffee?

Bluebell

My coffee experiment is soon to begin, and I was going to use an organic instant coffee, as I'm very happy with the taste and it's convenient.

Is the instant OK health-wise, any problem with it in terms of additives from processing etc?

BingDing

I couldn't find any negatives when I researched it a few months ago, been drinking instant since. One thing I like is using a glass kettle to boil the water, no possible source of leaching chemicals. There is a recent post about zenoestrogens in almost all plastics.

gretchen

I drink a lot of it; I like to add it to my milk. I will have to rethink the plastic thing. Instant comes in glass containers too.

Ulla

Is instant coffee still okay? I also wonder because of processing it, additives etc...
Usually I drink espresso and I'm thinking of getting some instant coffee too. :wink:

I don't know if there are any issues with instant coffee, I read all about the process a few months ago and found it is one of the most processed foods out there. Normally I prefer to consume the least processed foods possible, but darnit, instant is sooooo fast & convenient!!!

I bought a boatload of this brand, it's organic, fair trade, comes in glass jars and tastes pretty good:

http://www.vitacost.com/mount-hagen-org ... -3-53-oz-1

It's also TERRIBLY EXPENSIVE, so I only purchased when on some sort of Super Sale and combine it with bulk discounts. The cheapest that I have been able find it is around $6.00 a jar, so I bought several cases (comes with FREE shipping!!!)

Having said all that, the Folger's instant is on sale at Costco right now so I HAD to buy some cuz it's UNBELIEVABLY cheap!!!

I put so much sugar, gelatin and milk in my coffee that I can't tell the difference in taste. :oops:

Ulla

I guess I'll give it a try :)
I'll buy one from fair trade to feel better :oops:

michael94

Nope I remember ray saying instant coffee is just fine. You might want to consider cold brewing coffee because it's incredibly easy to do ahead of time and tastes amazing, unless you're hurting for refrigerator space.

michael94

thebigpeatowski said:
post 110111 I don't know if there are any issues with instant coffee, I read all about the process a few months ago and found it is one of the most processed foods out there. Normally I prefer to consume the least processed foods possible, but darnit, instant is sooooo fast & convenient!!!

I bought a boatload of this brand, it's organic, fair trade, comes in glass jars and tastes pretty good:

http://www.vitacost.com/mount-hagen-org ... -3-53-oz-1

It's also TERRIBLY EXPENSIVE, so I only purchased when on some sort of Super Sale and combine it with bulk discounts. The cheapest that I have been able find it is around $6.00 a jar, so I bought several cases (comes with FREE shipping!!!)

Having said all that, the Folger's instant is on sale at Costco right now so I HAD to buy some cuz it's UNBELIEVABLY cheap!!!

I put so much sugar, gelatin and milk in my coffee that I can't tell the difference in taste. :oops:

Can't you just do a really fine grind of regular high quality beans?

Last edited by a moderator:
icecreamlover said:

Hi icecreamlover....YES, Normally I buy organic/fair trade high quality beans, grind them myself and brew in a French press, that's the way I have been drinking coffee for years.

This experiment with instant coffee is fairly new to me (started this past June). I only began doing it because I wanted to make some homemade ice cream so been trying out the flavor of various instants.

Turns out that the ease, speed and versatility (coffee flavored EVERYTHING) of making instant coffee really appeals to my extreme laziness: no more fiddling with messy grinds and less clutter on the counter (grinder & press) etc.

I don't use instant on weekends (when I spend more time in the kitchen) and this laziness on my part won't last forever. :coffee

J

jb116

I use a no name, no frills instant coffee and it's perfect and fast to make

michael94

thebigpeatowski said:
post 110262
icecreamlover said:

Hi icecreamlover....YES, Normally I buy organic/fair trade high quality beans, grind them myself and brew in a French press, that's the way I have been drinking coffee for years.

This experiment with instant coffee is fairly new to me (started this past June). I only began doing it because I wanted to make some homemade ice cream so been trying out the flavor of various instants.

Turns out that the ease, speed and versatility (coffee flavored EVERYTHING) of making instant coffee really appeals to my extreme laziness: no more fiddling with messy grinds and less clutter on the counter (grinder & press) etc.

I don't use instant on weekends (when I spend more time in the kitchen) and this laziness on my part won't last forever. :coffee

Ohhhh I was talking more about using fine grind of beans and using that as instant coffee but I'm not really sure how instant coffee works I guess. I agree with you on the convenience thing and I don't think it's laziness always, there's a finite amount of time in the day after all

tara

icecreamlover said:
post 110281 Ohhhh I was talking more about using fine grind of beans and using that as instant coffee but I'm not really sure how instant coffee works I guess. I agree with you on the convenience thing and I don't think it's laziness always, there's a finite amount of time in the day after all
Instant coffee dissolves completely. Whole grounds, however fine, will always leave a solid residue.

michael94

tara said:
post 110283
icecreamlover said:
post 110281 Ohhhh I was talking more about using fine grind of beans and using that as instant coffee but I'm not really sure how instant coffee works I guess. I agree with you on the convenience thing and I don't think it's laziness always, there's a finite amount of time in the day after all
Instant coffee dissolves completely. Whole grounds, however fine, will always leave a solid residue.

cheers

PeatThemAll

If you are intolerant (in the autoimmune meaning) to dairy/gluten, there's a Dr. Hagmeyer video on YouTube where he says 10% of instant coffee brands appear as involved in cross-reactive reactions because of industrial processes. Regular coffee (the one you grind) doesn't have this trigger.

Edit: Voilà!
[bbvideo=560,315]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s4AfkiRGCQQ[/bbvideo]

Just out of curiosity PeatThemAll, what would an autoimmune intolerance/cross-reaction look like?

Personally, I generally avoid wheat/gluten, but not dairy cuz I love it too much.

I have no clue about anything autoimmune related, but I have my own theory regarding "food allergies" based solely on my own personal experience, so NOT SCIENTIFIC at all :D

Agent207

PeatThemAll said:
post 110411 If you are intolerant (in the autoimmune meaning) to dairy/gluten, there's a Dr. Hagmeyer video on YouTube where he says 10% of instant coffee brands appear as involved in cross-reactive reactions because of industrial processes. Regular coffee (the one you grind) doesn't have this trigger.

So 90% instant coffe brands no problem at all?

PeatThemAll

thebigpeatowski said:
Just out of curiosity PeatThemAll, what would an autoimmune intolerance/cross-reaction look like?

Personally, I generally avoid wheat/gluten, but not dairy cuz I love it too much.

I have no clue about anything autoimmune related, but I have my own theory regarding "food allergies" based solely on my own personal experience, so NOT SCIENTIFIC at all :D

Oh, you can do ELISA tests and the likes if you want big science. Antigen + (serum) antibody is pretty binary: it reacts or it doesn't (and if it reacts, the tests can also qualify to what degree).

Or just do the good old one (sometimes three) months without 'it' and see how you feel when you reintroduce it.

PeatThemAll

Agent207 said:
PeatThemAll said:
post 110411 If you are intolerant (in the autoimmune meaning) to dairy/gluten, there's a Dr. Hagmeyer video on YouTube where he says 10% of instant coffee brands appear as involved in cross-reactive reactions because of industrial processes. Regular coffee (the one you grind) doesn't have this trigger.

So 90% instant coffe brands no problem at all?

Mathematilly, yes. Now in which category any given brand falls into...? :?

answersfound

Roddy told me he prefers instant coffee, I think folgers brand, compared to the fancy coffee you can find in San Francisco

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals