Any peaty input on improving voice for singing?

P

Peatness

steel_reserve

Ginger or kiwi

I had some weird side effects from kiwi so I had to stop.

I eat a ginger chew an hour before bed (the raw vegetable is probably more potent).

The next day my morning groggyness was gone and my voice was more reedy. When I sing in church I usually have to take a break between verses. I don't have to anymore. That cramped/muscle failure sensation doesn't happen anymore.

The first few days I had some headaches but they went away after day 3.

OP
TypicalJock

TypicalJock

Ginger or kiwi

I had some weird side effects from kiwi so I had to stop.

I eat a ginger chew an hour before bed (the raw vegetable is probably more potent).

The next day my morning groggyness was gone and my voice was more reedy. When I sing in church I usually have to take a break between verses. I don't have to anymore. That cramped/muscle failure sensation doesn't happen anymore.

The first few days I had some headaches but they went away after day 3.
Hmm interesting
A family member of mine uses ginger to clear his voice so I will give it a shot

steel_reserve

I use Prince of Peace ginger chews but I am going to try eating the root next to see what the deal yo.

Marcine

Try acupunture/chinese medicine. I've had a terrible catch in my throat since getting dental work and this took care of it. We get mis-aligned pretty easily. If not acupuncture you can get muscle-rebalancing/osteopath treatment. Thanks for the ginger info, I like crystallized ginger.

Regina

keep estrogen in check.

I used to sing opera and my first degree was in Classical Voice.

I did not know anything about estrogen then but, in retrospect, that insight would have been very helpful.

After that, good habits in breathing and other vocal technique training, warming up, diction and posture. Sing into the back of your front teeth.
And save your voice. Such that when you do sing, you do not bring in bad habits into your vocal production.

Marcine

keep estrogen in check.

I used to sing opera and my first degree was in Classical Voice.

I did not know anything about estrogen then but, in retrospect, that insight would have been very helpful.

After that, good habits in breathing and other vocal technique training, warming up, diction and posture. Sing into the back of your front teeth.
And save your voice. Such that when you do sing, you do not bring in bad habits into your vocal production.
"sing into your front teeth!" brilliant. Thanks for your help here. I sing praise to Jesus daily and wonder if he's cringing. lol.

Phosphor

This isn't peaty but: I always could sing on pitch, but when I took up a brass instrument in my 40s and learned proper use of air, my singing voice dramatically improved. I assume singing lessons would do the same; it was a side effect for me.

yerrag

Stable blood sugar for uninterrupted flow of energy to the muscle. Acid base balance for optimal contraction and relaxation of the muscle. Stong solid center for proper control of diaphragmatic breathing. Balanced and well developed facial bone structure to effect good resonance . And unimpeded gas exchange in the lungs with minimal blockage with thick mucus, effected by good antioxidant protection by reduced glutathione. Lastly, good mitochondrial respiration for optimal tissue oxygenation and maximal energy production.

JamesGatz

For a nice singing voice it's really just jaw forwardness and expansion which you can get overtime with healthy metabolism and mewing correctly - I'll give you a few examples - notice for all the best singers (I mean like singers that can easily hit hard notes - they all have forward jaws and decent expansion - this is not coincidence - your actual voice changes when the jaws are expanded and pushed forward - your airways are freed for more space when the mandible isn't protruding on it and the bigger your upper palate is - the more sound reflects off the roof of the mouth making your voice better

page_1.jpg

I'll give an even better example -

This is Taylor Swift's voice beginning of career vs more recently - notice how much better of a singer she was at the beginning of her career - her voice is very nice and it doesn't feel strained or forced - at the time she recorded this song her jaws were very forward

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0p4Lv0t124&ab_channel=MusicNewChannel

Now compare her voice to the voice she has now - it's nowhere near as nice - her voice now sounds like she is straining her voice to hit the same notes/putting in a lot more effort - she recorded all her best songs again recently and it sounds so much worse - her jaw growth has gotten considerably worse overtime and as a result her singing is nowhere near as good as it used to be - here's a recent video to compare her voice to her voice above

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lB7Oh076-8&ab_channel=TaylorSwift-Topic

Regina

"sing into your front teeth!" brilliant. Thanks for your help here. I sing praise to Jesus daily and wonder if he's cringing. lol.
Jesus is not cringing.
I also like the back of the front teeth viscerally more than just, "sing into the mask." You'll get into the mask but it also sort of curls up and focuses the tone and diction.

In traditional Chinese medicine, organs are paired as a yin and yang organ, and the health of each affects the other it's paired with. The lungs (yin) are paired with the large intestine (yang). In Ayurveda, triphala infusion is thought to be one of the best digestive health herbal remedies, so drinking triphala infusion will improve the health of the large intestine. And when I was drinking triphala each morning, and especially if I hadn't eaten anything else that day yet except drinking triphala, I noticed that it felt easier to sing because of easier deep breathing and the resonance of my voice sounded better. Triphala might directly be good for the lungs and airways too.

OP
TypicalJock

TypicalJock

For a nice singing voice it's really just jaw forwardness and expansion which you can get overtime with healthy metabolism and mewing correctly - I'll give you a few examples - notice for all the best singers (I mean like singers that can easily hit hard notes - they all have forward jaws and decent expansion - this is not coincidence - your actual voice changes when the jaws are expanded and pushed forward - your airways are freed for more space when the mandible isn't protruding on it and the bigger your upper palate is - the more sound reflects off the roof of the mouth making your voice better

View attachment 30209

I'll give an even better example -

This is Taylor Swift's voice beginning of career vs more recently - notice how much better of a singer she was at the beginning of her career - her voice is very nice and it doesn't feel strained or forced - at the time she recorded this song her jaws were very forward

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0p4Lv0t124&ab_channel=MusicNewChannel

Now compare her voice to the voice she has now - it's nowhere near as nice - her voice now sounds like she is straining her voice to hit the same notes/putting in a lot more effort - she recorded all her best songs again recently and it sounds so much worse - her jaw growth has gotten considerably worse overtime and as a result her singing is nowhere near as good as it used to be - here's a recent video to compare her voice to her voice above

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lB7Oh076-8&ab_channel=TaylorSwift-Topic

I also notice that people with bigger jaws and overall bigger skulls have very loud voices
people with small skulls cant speak loud at all

JamesGatz

I also notice that people with bigger jaws and overall bigger skulls have very loud voices
people with small skulls cant speak loud at all
Yep - AI can accurately re-construct people's faces based on their voices - suggesting you can tell all about how a person looks just by the sound of their voice - it's interesting stuff

Screenshot-from-2019-05-27-00-06-49-e1558908936952.png

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals