Any Peaters in Bali? - the BEST place to survive a financial overhaul?

OP
Jonnie

Jonnie

No, it worked for me....
D79AC28B-32B2-4D21-9D3E-C75785E28554.jpeg

I'm.No.One

Some of these ideas and concerns here are good but many are way off base...will refrain from further comment...Go for it!...check out your dream place for 6 months...you will have the answer....or you can be a little more deep in your research and thinking...that will up your odds before making a costly mistake and losing your nest egg.
What?

None of this even made sense & is entirely based off of you being upset at what an end of society scenario?

You'd prefer a country that hadn't escaped fascism recently so the people are more prone to accept it?

A place where you're 100% out of place so you're always on the outside of a community?

Is it my personal experience in a large Hispanic area & how they have reacted that needs deeper thinking?

Also a single reply on a forum does not indicate that I've done or am not doing research or am going to blow a "nest egg".

I'm.No.One

good point. Unless of course, it's innate and universal to all people all around the world to feel compelled to put OP at the top.
Can't tell if it's sarcasm or if you genuinely misunderstood my meaning?

So I'll just respond as if you misunderstood because inevitably someone will lol

In a culture, a real culture that's not an entirely westernized melting pot, humans are literally programed to recognize their own.

Some random (presumably white) person is not going to get any real sympathy in a foreign non white country where he/she sticks out like a sore thumb. Because... their not part of the community.

If we're talking about a full-on collapse like the op is concerned about this is definitely something to consider especially with the current global idea that if you're white you have everything you need via privilege/money.

So if food becomes scarce no he will not be at the top of any theoretical line or waiting list or anybody's concern because he is not one of them.

Humans are pack animals, best not to forget that is my main point.

ursidae

Can't tell if it's sarcasm or if you genuinely misunderstood my meaning?

So I'll just respond as if you misunderstood because inevitably someone will lol

In a culture, a real culture that's not an entirely westernized melting pot, humans are literally programed to recognize their own.

Some random (presumably white) person is not going to get any real sympathy in a foreign non white country where he/she sticks out like a sore thumb. Because... their not part of the community.

If we're talking about a full-on collapse like the op is concerned about this is definitely something to consider especially with the current global idea that if you're white you have everything you need via privilege/money.

So if food becomes scarce no he will not be at the top of any theoretical line or waiting list or anybody's concern because he is not one of them.

Humans are pack animals, best not to forget that is my main point.
I was taking a jab at OP due to a comment of his in another thread. I understood your point very well and have experienced this personally

I'm.No.One

I hadn’t thought of this but it’s a good point.

Another great point.

Can you share a little more on what requirements you’re looking for when moving to portugal?

I was thinking a smaller town either near the coast or high altitude.
I like how fast citizenship can be obtained through purchasing a reasonably priced home in certain areas.

You can also get a D7 visa for passive income, you can get a visa for work, you can get a visa for opening a business, you can also do so through investing. They're just really wide open and accepting which is very handy for someone like myself who doesn't have the ability to leave my country easily such as someone from the EU.

I like how temperate it is but still has a varied enough climate to support a wide biodiversity of plant species (that parts more to do with my job/passion but in a collapse living somewhere with a vast amount of medicinal plant life is ideal)

I like how they have recently escaped fascism and have never mandated vaccines and are challenging the PCR test and quarantine.

I like how they primarily produce a majority of their own food and export very little of said food.

I appreciate that they still have many traditional open-air markets, ample amounts of seafood, and there's pretty much fruit in season year round.

I like that it is very close to many other European countries.

If we're talking about a collapse sometimes the only way out of South America is through a lot more of South America and with any basic amount of research you will learn how violent South America can be and this is before a collapse.

I like that assuming a collapse doesn't come my income will go twice as far so long as I don't live in a tourist trap.

I like that they have extremely favorable tax rates and special tax brackets for immigrants.

Especially the no capital gains tax, that is amazing.

I like that the people are incredibly proud of their heritage, their country, and that they have not lost touch with their culture, religion, & values. Considering these are the things that typically hold a country together through hard times I find it really important.

These are just some of the things that have us researching Portugal over the past two years and shifting our business to full automation so we can live there off of passive income.

Lastly, it's the 4th safest country to live in the world & they have the most liberal gun laws in all of the EU.

OP
Jonnie

Jonnie

they primarily produce a majority of their own food and export very little of said food.
Big plus if the supplychain breaks down. A selfsustainable country will probably not have any major issues
If we're talking about a collapse sometimes the only way out of South America is through a lot more of South America and with any basic amount of research you will learn how violent South America can be and this is before a collapse.
Yes I’ve seen videos of how violent it can get, different world.
I like that the people are incredibly proud of their heritage, their country, and that they have not lost touch with their culture, religion, & values. Considering these are the things that typically hold a country together through hard times I find it really important.
+
Lastly, it's the 4th safest country to live in the world & they have the most liberal gun laws in all of the EU.
+
I like that they have extremely favorable tax rates and special tax brackets for immigrants.
Love this too.
I like that assuming a collapse doesn't come my income will go twice as far so long as I don't live in a tourist trap.
Definitely don’t want to live in a tourist trap. Did you have a few places in mind already? Or already decided on a definite spot?

Thanks for these insights. Really peaking my interest to possibly choose Portugal.

I'm.No.One

Big plus if the supplychain breaks down. A selfsustainable country will probably not have any major issues

Yes I’ve seen videos of how violent it can get, different world.

+

+

Love this too.

Definitely don’t want to live in a tourist trap. Did you have a few places in mind already? Or already decided on a definite spot?

Thanks for these insights. Really peaking my interest to possibly choose Portugal.
Right now we're looking at central and northern Portugal, southern is all tourism.

Central has the most fertile soil.

Northern has the most rain (which I see as a plus).

If you're already an EU citizen moving wherever you want is already an option, for us we're narrowing down on the areas that qualify for the Golden visa.

Oh, they also speak English in a majority of the areas. At least the younger generations do so that's handy while learning Portuguese.

I'm.No.One

Is a tourist saturated area a bad thing?

I read somewhere that around 40% the Algarve consists of Expats. Curious to understand why that is a bad thing?
Because the cost of living is HUGELY jacked up, because of the tourists.

Plus it looks like a majority of the strict/enforced covid rules are primarily in the tourists areas. I.E rich old people have no tolerance for feeling endangered.

OP
Jonnie

Jonnie

Right now we're looking at central and northern Portugal, southern is all tourism.

Central has the most fertile soil.

Northern has the most rain (which I see as a plus).

If you're already an EU citizen moving wherever you want is already an option, for us we're narrowing down on the areas that qualify for the Golden visa.

Oh, they also speak English in a majority of the areas. At least the younger generations do so that's handy while learning Portuguese.
Thanks, great info

Back
Top Bottom