Any Peat ladies doing fertility charting?

Violet

I've just started fertility / menstrual tracking to help with oestrogen dominance, and so far it's amazing!!! However, some of the literature (about oestrogen, progesterone, diet etc.) is conventional wisdom and therefore incongruous with Peat.

Wondering if any other women are tracking and if so have you come to a new understanding using Peat's research?

Would be great to open a dialogue about this!

Bluebell

A little bit, but I'd like to do it more.

I track menstruation, ovulation, and each month how I'm feeling running up to menstruation.

What would you recommend as a good resource/book to learn how to track?

I'd like to know also, what signs of menstruation could be seen as showing progress in getting healthier, e.g.:
- colour
- amount of flow
- absense of clots
- stopping reasonably quickly instead of dragging on
etc

4peatssake

There are a number of free charting tools here, including charts for ovulation, fertility and menstruation.

I can't vouch for this personally but it looks pretty comprehensive at first glance. Requires registration.

My Monthly Cycles

HDD

Bluebell said:
A little bit, but I'd like to do it more.

I track menstruation, ovulation, and each month how I'm feeling running up to menstruation.

What would you recommend as a good resource/book to learn how to track?

I'd like to know also, what signs of menstruation could be seen as showing progress in getting healthier, e.g.:
- colour
- amount of flow
- absense of clots
- stopping reasonably quickly instead of dragging on
etc

In "Once a Month, by Katharina Dalton, she states the following:

".....so each woman's menstrual cycle is unique and individual in the type and duration of flow and in the cycle length. The menstrual flow, which is disintegrated lining of the womb, may appear as a pink watery discharge or as thick red blood. It may be reddish-brown or black, and it may contain shreds or small blood clots. All these variations are normal and healthy."

Kelly

I use p tracker on my phone. I'd like to do it in depth, with temping etc but I'm so lazy and can never carry through. It's nice for tracking symptoms though, I got a horrible headache and nausea several days ago, and it wasn't until I looked at the app that I figured out it was just before ovulation. I thought I could take a break for progesterone for 8 or 9 days and it was a huge mistake, it's been over a week of getting back on it and I'm just now feeling somewhat functional.

Alicem

I've been tracking for the past few months and find it very useful. I was reading somewhere and I wish I could remember where that if your menstrual blood is very dark as mine is it's a sign of oestrogen dominance, anyone else read anything on those lines? Last couple of months I've had Mittelschmerz which is quite useful for knowing when you're ovulating! I ovulate on a full moon which I like

Kelly

Here is a quote I find very insightful from CemCOR.

Many perimenopausal women have a high estrogen mid-cycle peak without ovulation. FSH then stimulates another follicle to make high estrogen levels that peak a week or so later. At that point the endometrium has become thickened, is over stimulated and begins to bleed. Thus a common menstrual pattern in the perimenopause is for front-of-the-breast tenderness and stretchy mucus to begin in the middle of the cycle, but then to continue and be at their maximum at the start of a period. Menstrual blood mixed with this mucus may resemble currant jelly.

http://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/help_yourself/ ... timulation

lindsay

How is that book (Katherine Dalton's)? I need to finish reading Peat's book first though (the PMS to Menopause book). Does she talk at all about Menopause in it? I just found out I'm in menopause (and I'm not even 31 yet), but I'm hopeful that I can reverse it with thyroid and progesterone.

HDD

lindsay said:
How is that book (Katherine Dalton's)? I need to finish reading Peat's book first though (the PMS to Menopause book). Does she talk at all about Menopause in it? I just found out I'm in menopause (and I'm not even 31 yet), but I'm hopeful that I can reverse it with thyroid and progesterone.

I have only read bits of it so far.I purchased it because a family member is pregnant and I was looking for information pertaining only to pregnancy. There is a chapter called "Menopausal Years".
The copy I have is used, shipping was more than the book.

I will try to read the chapter this weekend to see if she talks about progesterone supplementing for early menopause.

Kelly

lindsay said:

I thought the book was very insightful. She does think that people who have symptoms early in the cycle have low estrogen or other problems (ie not necessarily needing progesterone). I find that progesterone helps very much if I take it everyday.

Last October I was diagnosed as going into early menopause. My FSH and LH levels were menopausal. I was 34. My cycles were going to 50+ days. This is after I cut out sugar and ate paleo for several months. After a few months supplementing with progesterone and lots and lots and LOTS of sugar, I'm back to regular cycles (26-29 days) and have been regular for 8ish months. Good luck.

lindsay

[tab=30]"Last October I was diagnosed as going into early menopause. My FSH and LH levels were menopausal. I was 34. My cycles were going to 50+ days. This is after I cut out sugar and ate paleo for several months. After a few months supplementing with progesterone and lots and lots and LOTS of sugar, I'm back to regular cycles (26-29 days) and have been regular for 8ish months. Good luck."

Kelly that's very encouraging to hear! I'm hoping I can change it, however, I realize I'm facing an uphill battle - I think I was reading your story on another thread. I had a massive ovarian tumor removed last february and it had caused torsion and killed my left ovary. My right ovary showed signs of very low progesterone, so I think that's why my body skipped into menopause. I'm taking LOTS of progest-e and started cynoplus over a month ago. Going to an endocrinologist, but don't know if he will diagnose my thyroid problem and cooperate :?

Anyhow, how much sugar were you eating when your cycle returned? I'm hoping I can beat this - I was also diagnosed with biliary dyskinesia (like you - at least I think you said as much), when I was 23. At the time, I didn't know anything and had it removed (which I now regret). Anyhow, you made a good choice not having your gallbladder taken out!

Kelly

lindsay said:
Kelly that's very encouraging to hear! I'm hoping I can change it, however, I realize I'm facing an uphill battle - I think I was reading your story on another thread. I had a massive ovarian tumor removed last february and it had caused torsion and killed my left ovary. My right ovary showed signs of very low progesterone, so I think that's why my body skipped into menopause. I'm taking LOTS of progest-e and started cynoplus over a month ago. Going to an endocrinologist, but don't know if he will diagnose my thyroid problem and cooperate :?

Anyhow, how much sugar were you eating when your cycle returned? I'm hoping I can beat this - I was also diagnosed with biliary dyskinesia (like you - at least I think you said as much), when I was 23. At the time, I didn't know anything and had it removed (which I now regret). Anyhow, you made a good choice not having your gallbladder taken out!

I'm sorry you've been through so much! I never had any issues or operations with my ovaries, I'm sure that will make it more challenging for you. I think ovarian cysts and gallbladder issues are a very strong indication of high estrogen.

I eat so much sugar. Homemade gummies with a couple cups of sugar, several cups of oj and usually a soda a day, lots of milk chocolate, homemade gluten free brownies. Even though I'm having my period, I still don't think I'm ovulating, and I suspect I will go into menopause earlier than most. However, I judge my success from all the menopausal symptoms I had that have disappeared. Extremely painful and bleeding gums -- gone. Horrific pelvic floor issues and bladder issues -- gone. Head zaps and heart palpitations throughout the day -- gone. Back pain -- greatly lessened. Debilitating anxiety and panic attacks -- greatly lessened. I'm sure there are more I'm not remembering right now.

Are you having menopausal symptoms, or are you just going by lab numbers?

I think the cynoplus is a great idea. I've read from many that it can take a good long while to kick in, but can definitely help significantly. I'm trying to do it now without thyroid, but will definitely start if I feel the need. I hope you'll keep us updated on how you progress!

lindsay

Thanks Kelly :)
Yes, I'm putting the whole picture together now. I've definitely been Hypo for a long time - just wished doctors had thought of treating me for it, but I've always been so thin (and therefore "healthy" looking), they probably wouldn't have thought to do so.

Regarding menopausal symptoms, I've had none, which is why it shocked me. I have no pelvic pain, no mood swings (not in comparison to before my surgery), no anxiety, etc. I have started having slight migraines (which I've never had) and was having what felt like hot flashes in the middle of the night. I'm quite calm. My labs are in the post-menopausal levels, however, and my prolactin was over 25 (very high).

I tried to improve thyroid without the supplement and worked with a nutritionist, but realized it was futile without a period and gallbladder (which means I can't absorb as many important vitamins). It's made a huge difference - I wish I could do without, but whatever works :)

So glad to hear that you overcame this though! Do you use progesterone? I'm also taking LOTS of that currently. I attribute my calm moods to that entirely - was like a night and day difference!

Peata

Reading with interest.

Are you ladies who have cycles, taking Progest-E without a break, or do you start it at ovulation?

Kelly

I take lots of progesterone. I'm guessing 100 - 300 mg per day. I'll skip a day here or there when I'm not feeling too bad, but I don't take any breaks longer than two days.

lindsay

Kelly said:
I take lots of progesterone. I'm guessing 100 - 300 mg per day. I'll skip a day here or there when I'm not feeling too bad, but I don't take any breaks longer than two days.

Kelly - how do you take it? Orally, topically or vaginally?

Kelly

I've tried them all, but find progest-e orally makes me feel the effects the strongest. I use a cream topically, either Natpro or Progestelle.

sarahevebee

Just wanted to throw this in here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3543
Aspirin did wonders for me, making my periods consistent and predictable...and painless (I had horrible menstrual cramps for YEARS.) It also greatly reduced the frequency of my migraines. I took small doses of it (the uncoated kind,) dissolving it in my morning coffee with milk, gelatin and a bunch of sugar. I called it my hormone balancing concoction :D
I'm not sure how it would work for you ladies, but thought I'd mention it :) Good luck on your healing journeys <3

lindsay

Thanks for your input sarahevebee! How much aspirin were you taking, out of curiosity. I know it lowers estrogen, so that's probably why it's so beneficial. Did you get irregular periods? Like not frequently?

sarahevebee

lindsay said:
How much aspirin were you taking, out of curiosity. I know it lowers estrogen, so that's probably why it's so beneficial. Did you get irregular periods? Like not frequently?

I was taking probably about 80mg...ish? Honestly, I just broke the tabs up into a few pieces and left 'em on my kitchen counter, ready to be plopped in my coffee every morning :) Each tab was 325mg and lasted me a few days.

I also tried my best to eat either cooked kale or liver for vitamin K while on my aspirin regimen (just in case my blood got too thin...aspirin thins blood and K1 coagulates it...so it's a balancing thing I guess.)

My period came every month, but it was really unpredictable...it could be the beginning, middle, or end of the month. I didn't actually start tracking my periods until right before starting the aspirin, but I noticed that they started to come earlier and more consistently...right away. I'm not sure how long it would have taken to get my period started again after not having it at all for a long time...but really...I think aspirin should be marketed as an anti-estrogen pill.