Any Particularly Lean Peaty's Out There?

eminions

I am 6'1 165 pound male. I have never been able to put on weight no matter what I eat and have always been in perfect health, so I might not be a good base. I only started this diet to try and get rid of acne. I have tried everything short of Accutane and nothing has worked.

Initially consuming mostly liquids: 3 L Skim Milk, 6 L OJ, some shrimp, cocoa powder, lots of salt, 1/8 Cup of Gelatin, daily carrot salad and a little bit of coconut oil ~ 4000 calories. I lost weight and dropped to as low as 148 I think, and that including only weight lifting and no cardio.

I recently changed my diet so that it would be a lot more cost efficient and allow me to eat more and hopefully put on a little weight. I now drink 2 L Skim milk,1/8-1/4 cup of gelatin, eat 1/2 pound of organic grapes, 1-2 Honeydew, 2-5 pounds of organic potatoes, 2-6 TBSP coconut oil, lots of salt, sometimes oranges, and I just added a ton of organic light amber maple syrup. ~ 4300 calories Still with weight lifting and no cardio.

It tastes better and I feel more full with this diet. I still never feel completely full but I would have to completely gorge in order for that to happen. Oh well :/

superhuman

holy ***t eminions: wish i had that problem :D

whats your temp and pulse?

are you taking T3? i know RP said when he was younger he ate like insane amount of calories and started taking thyroid and he needed less because it regulated the metabolism

eminions

No idea on my temps and pulse, never checked. I just checked pulse (two fingers to neck while sitting down, is that the right way/okay haha?) and got 81-83 in a minute. I think I checked once before and it was 70-75 but I don't really remember. Next time I stop at a grocery store that has one of those pulse/blood pressure things I will be sure to check it out.

I started taking cynoplus this year and have noticed 0 differences. Ever since I started eating a lot of potatoes I have noticed that I am getting pretty hot when I go to sleep (hot enough so I have to move my legs out from under the covers).

I used to get that way a lot 3 years ago before I tried using diets to clean up my acne (Perfect Health Diet/Primal/Keto), so I guess that might be a good sign.

But yeah, I think it will be a long time before I can gain weight through eating. I was once 188 pounds at night then weighed 180 pounds the next morning without going to the bathroom haha. That was in 2009 when I was trying extremely hard to gain weight for baseball.

OP
C

Curt :-)

@ eminions, 3L of milk and 6L of OJ, wtf!?

@ superman, Ray needed LESS calories once the supplemental thyroid regulated his metabolism? I thought increasing thyroid would increase the need for calories. Confused...

caroline

Just a thought, Eminions. If you want to gain weight, or might like to, why not drink whole milk? Also, I am not trying to gain weight and I can easily eat 10 or more tablespoons of coconut oil. My husband eats even more. If I ate how you were eating, I would probably lose weight. Maybe you aren't trying to gain, but just from what I could see, that's not a lot of fat. I'm not surprised you don't gain weight eating like this. I was dropping a lot of weight before I started adding even more fat. I wasn't interested in dropping weight that quickly, which is why I did this.

jyb

Curt :-) said:
@ superman, Ray needed LESS calories once the supplemental thyroid regulated his metabolism? I thought increasing thyroid would increase the need for calories. Confused...

Actually, I can imagine that it reduces need for calories: thyroid increases metabolic efficiency (towards glucose and oxygen), so you need less and produce more. You might need more nutrients, but calories is not the same as nutrients. And you might still need a lot more than the 2000/2500kcal daily recommended depending on your body.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
jyb said:

Actually, I can imagine that it reduces need for calories: thyroid increases metabolic efficiency (towards glucose and oxygen), so you need less and produce more. You might need more nutrients, but calories is not the same as nutrients. And you might still need a lot more than the 2000/2500kcal daily recommended depending on your body.
Ray Peat has said thyroid will correct up or down whichever way that it needs to go.

staytuned

Curious if the folks who posted here that stayed lean or became lean on a Peat diet...
  • Diet: is your diet/protocol posted anywhere in these forums? If not, possible to get short summary (i.e. mostly Peat, except...)
  • Supplements: taking thyroid supps? other supps?
  • Nuances: avoiding starch? Full or skim milk, etc?
  • Lifestyle: exercise? Age? Stress? Alcohol?
Would do lots to add context to the results! I know I'm curious and I imagine other posters on here are as well. :)

max219

When I was leaning out my diet consisted of mostly sugars and protein. My fat was usually below 40grams and mostly saturated, starch was pretty much avoided except for 1-2 times a week (usually white rice), and fruit/juice/sugar/syrup/honey/coke/some low fat milk made up my carbs. Protein came from 1% cottage cheese, 1% yogurt, and some gelatin. I had liver once a week, 1-2 eggs a day, and oysters/shrimp a few times a week. Lots of salt. I was eating around 3,000 calories at 5'6 145-150 pounds (which was a lot for me to loose body fat I think). I was around 155-160 in the summer (chubby but not necessarily fat...Eat for Heat got me chunky). I did log my calories to see.

Only supps were vitamin e.

I tried to avoid starch and fat. I avoided full fat dairy. I felt pretty good most of the time while losing some fat, and didn't even try to lose fat at some points.

I did lift weights 2-3 times a week, walked a lot, biked for transportation, and did a lot of body weight exercises however. I was pretty active. I'm 22, stress was pretty low. I had alcohol every 2-3 weeks and usually kept it to oj/coke and rum/vodka. Beer if I had to.

The reason I'm speaking in past tense is because I became a lot less strict over the last 2 weeks. I also have hurt my back a bit and am not able to lift weights or do body weight training. I put a little body fat back on, bit have been eating more calories in general. I am now going to experiment with a very very low fat (less than 25 grams) and low starch diet. I plan to eat closer to 3500 calories and see what happens. I also hope to lift/exercise again soon because I love to.

superhuman

Thats awesome max219

Im on the same as you. Im decent lean but im working on getting really really lean.

Im aiming for very low fat as well. Diet will be fruit,coca cola,OJ,skim milk, liver once a week and oyster once a week. No starch

I really want to test the high carb, medium high protein low fat to see if it works.

Im aiming for around 120g protein a day coming from the milk mostly.

I have cynomel and cynoplus that im gonna use. I also have and will use aspirin,vit K,D,A,E, pregnenolone and DHEA. I also use caffeine powder to smack up metabolism some more.

I do weight lifting 3 times a week

Active job and gonna do cardio everyday almost but thats just incline walking, no cardio jogging supressing thyroid bull****.

marcar72

I'm 5'11" and my weight fluctuates between 168-173 pounds currently. This even after I went from 1% to 2% milk. I'm pretty active though as I walk everywhere I need to go and have a job where I'm on my feet all day at work.

The only time I ever got overweight was a few years ago after I quit smoking. I got up to 210 pounds. I wasn't eating as much but what I ate was pretty crappy junk food half the time. Once I started eating whole foods more so, and focused on never missing breakfast I started losing 5 pounds/month all the way down to 165 pounds. Since eating Peatish I've pretty much maintained what I feel my ideal weight is. :2cents

OP
C

So its been about 5 weeks since I started this thread. I am actually leaning out now. I further increased my protein intake and it has stopped my water retention too. Pleasantly surprised. Im so keen to find out if one can actually get/stay ripped eating this way. Sure hope so coz im feelin' gewd!

tomisonbottom

So its been about 5 weeks since I started this thread. I am actually leaning out now. I further increased my protein intake and it has stopped my water retention too. Pleasantly surprised. Im so keen to find out if one can actually get/stay ripped eating this way. Sure hope so coz im feelin' gewd!

That's good to hear!
Are you at a certain protein/carb ratio that is helping your water retention?

staytuned

That's awesome!

Did you make modifications? Cut down on ice cream :) ? Or did your metabolism just kick into gear?

OP
C

@tom, good question. I don't count macros, I just have a protein/carb fix every 2 - 3hours, usually consisting of milk/cheese/whey + juice/coke/gummi bears. It is possible that I actually never gained fat on Peat and it was all just water weight (it was only a couple of kilos on the scales, but my abs disappeared).

@staytuned, I've never eaten ice cream. It gives me loose stools. Odd considering mass milk + cheese is just fine.
I'm not really sure. I haven't tracked temps or done any bloodwork since starting Peaty, so unfortunately, I have solid info to share...

max219

I have not been able to resistance train for 8 weeks (I can now though), and I have been eating about 3500-4000 calories on average and have maintained my weight. I have been walking and moving a lot though. I have been under 20 grams of fat almost everyday, and less tahn 50 grams of starch. I do eat a lot (like 3 cups) of rice about once a week, and once a week was touching 5000 cals.

I started resistance training again a few days ago, and plan to keep intake around 3000-4000. I'm not really looking to lose body fat anymore though, just maintain the 12-14ish % I'm at. Hopefully I lean out naturally, but if not I might lower the calories a little bit as we get deeper into Spring.

I'm eating like 2 lbs of dates on average each day to get the sugar easily.

superhuman

That is just awesome.

Have you always had that metabolism?

whats your stats? height, weight?

how much protein are you getting a day?

What do you think is key for not gaining fat and loose fat if wants to do that? in addition to limiting fat.

staytuned

superhuman said:
That is just awesome.

Have you always had that metabolism?

whats your stats? height, weight?

how much protein are you getting a day?

What do you think is key for not gaining fat and loose fat if wants to do that? in addition to limiting fat.

I'd be curious to find out more as well... I went from 13% BF to 18% in the last 2 months switching to peaty style. Granted I drink milk before bed, eat ice cream and am almost never in a fasted state. That being said I'm pretty consistent on avoiding PUFAs and following peaty guides. Even started up on Cynoplus (1/4 tab a day) about 2 weeks ago without much result except a quickened heartbeat after taking.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals